Shotgun Forum banner

32 Ga

55K views 70 replies 43 participants last post by  captjsjr 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard of a 32 ga shotgun? Ballistic products sells everything you need to reload them, even new ammo. I have never seen or heard of a gun in this *****. Who makes or made them? The 24 and 32 ga seems to be the mystery guns.

#5 ·
Harrington & Richardson produced single-shots in the 24 gauge in the late 1930's. 24 gauge shotguns and ammunition are still manufactured in Europe. According to my sources, American Arms and Beretta have guns available in the U.S. in 24 gauge, and CBC and Fiocchi offer ammunition to the U.S. market as well.

I have read that the 32 gauge was made by American manufacturers offered the 32 gauge up through the 1930's. The Winchester 1886 rifle was routinely offered on a custom basis especially chambered and barrelled for the 32 gauge.

G
#7 ·
:) i have a 32 gauge shotgun, bore is 32.65 inside a big C. barrel is 29.2 inches. frabrique d armes unies de liege on top of barrel, on bottom AKAH (albrecht kind). its about 1920 - 1940, wrote manufacturer for information. #17 all over it. cant use 410 ga shells in it too loose. DANGEROUS!!. reciever looks nickel. belgium made. E L G letters on inside a circle with crown

#8 ·
Bad advice phideaux_2003. It is NOTHING like shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Magnum. A 38 is a shortened version of the .357. The caliber for BOTH is 0.357".

I cannot stress it enough: NEVER shoot ammunition from a gun that was not designed for that firearm! Marland has given accurate data regarding the gauge vs. bore size. This is not a matter to be taken lightly. There are poeple who frequent this forum because they are new to the sport or inexperienced and are listening to the advice given. So let's be as accurate as we possibly can.

Reactions: Ratdog
#10 ·
I was in Jaqua's Friday and saw a Model 21 32ga for a mere $20,995.00. Really liked it but actually liked the Model 21 16 gauge for $13,995.00 a little better. BTW, were a .410 a gauge it would be a 67 gauge.

Reactions: Ratdog
G
#14 ·
American Arms marketed 32 gauge guns right here in the USA in the late 1990's. It is currently my wifes shotgun of choice. Shells can be had easily from Fiocchi. And as so many pointed out after the erroneous post of shooting .410 shells in this gun this is not just hazardous to the gun and shooter but is just stupid to even suggest. I think that Zoli is still making 32 gauges. These guns are extremly popular in Italy, from my understanding of talking with a rep from Fiocchi the 32 is actually prefered over the .410.

live well,

#15 ·
The .410 is really a 67 gauge and the 32 gauge has a bore of .502".

The 24 gauge has a bore .579".

Again, using a .410 shell in a 32 gauge would be a really bad choice.

Scott

#17 ·
Sub-bores are fun. Anything with a diameter advantage over the .410 in a similar payload/velocity setup is going to be a better gauge.

I think a .410 would actually fit down the chamber in a 32. Not sure, looking now for critical cartrige dimensions to check. Namely, is the .410 the same size as or smaller than the 32 at the widest point of the hull?

Maybe not.

Oh, using ammo not compatible with the stamp on your gun is a sure way to the "Look, Ma... no hands.... Look, ma... no teeth" thing...

#18 ·
I have and early Browning Superposed that has a set or 32ga barrels. There are about 15 boxes of Eley 32ga shells there,too.
Used to shoot ground squirrels with that gun when I was a kid. It was made with a set of .410 skeet & skeet(**$ & **$) ,also. The 32ga barrels show no choke markings.

#20 ·
The nominal bore of a .410 shotgun is.410 inch. Which is why it is properly called the .410 bore instead of the .410 gauge. In Europe it is sometimes called the 12mm, which is an inaccurate designation as a .410 bore has an actual diameter of approximately 10.4mm by metric measure. If the .410 had been named in the traditional fashion, by the number of lead balls .41 inch in diameter needed to make one pound, it would be about a 67-68 gauge. Many years ago it was also called the 36 gauge, and I have seen a picture of an old box of Remington shells marked "(36 GA.) .410-2 1/2 IN. (12 MM)." However, the "36 Gauge" designation was very inaccurate, as a true 36 gauge gun would actually have a .506 inch bore diameter.

This is all from this website...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/410bore.htm

Nick

#70 ·
The nominal bore of a .410 shotgun is.410 inch. Which is why it is properly called the .410 bore instead of the .410 gauge. In Europe it is sometimes called the 12mm, which is an inaccurate designation as a .410 bore has an actual diameter of approximately 10.4mm by metric measure. If the .410 had been named in the traditional fashion, by the number of lead balls .41 inch in diameter needed to make one pound, it would be about a 67-68 gauge. Many years ago it was also called the 36 gauge, and I have seen a picture of an old box of Remington shells marked "(36 GA.) .410-2 1/2 IN. (12 MM)." However, the "36 Gauge" designation was very inaccurate, as a true 36 gauge gun would actually have a .506 inch bore diameter.

This is all from this website...
.410 Gauge

Nick
Most European 410 ammunition producers often call it 36cal more than 36g.
Tis all confusing!
I often use a .45 smoothbore muzzleloader. It is surprising what game it collects.

#22 ·
KT13
I have a sweet little 16Ga model 21 I'll sell you for $13,000 even thats a savings of $995. Better yet today and today only $10,995 Trap grade 26" barrels Cyl. left barrel and Mod right barrel, left trigger is forward. Beautifully grained straight stock with the splinter forearm, a checkered butt.Manufactured in 1935

#23 ·
OK, I got the Browning out. The bores measure .526 and were proofed with 164gr black powder/eq.6drams and 194gr bullet(?). Nitro proof Equiv. 2 1/4 X 3/4 oz. - 2 1/2" 32ga # 7 1/2 . Barrels by Dawson of Colorado. 26" VR unknown choke. Marked 32ga X 2 1/2".

#26 ·
phideaux_2003 said:
I'm sorry you are correct. I really need to be more careful about what I say on the forum. I was mistaken, but didn't know it until someone said something. I guess that is how we learn isn't it?

Thanks you everyone.

Nick
Nick, I think what you may be thinking of are guns that are marker 36 ga. that are actually 410s. Huglu makes or at least made a 410 marked 36 ga. Why, I do not know, but they did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.