CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 feeding problems
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey yall. I recently put a Choate mag ext. on my 870, and took it out today to field test it. The mag extension worked fine, but the clamp fell off, so I had to torque it down more. Anyways, the shotgun has had a problem feeding for a while now....even before I put the Choate ext. on it. Until now, I really didnt have an idea of what was causing the problem. Today, I believe I identified it. The shell lifter will fail to bring the shell up enough to go straight into the chamber; the edge of the shell will be just enough below the mouth of chamber that it will butt up against the chamber mouth and will not go in. It does this sporadically....and I do not know what causes this. I do not believe short stroking would cause this, but I am not 100% certain. Its a good thing I have my Mossberg 500A Mariner, or I'd be without a reliable shotgun. Anyway replies are appreciated.

Post subject: re: 870 feeding problems
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm 
Field Grade

Are you giving it the beans when you run the forearm back, or just kinda, you know, driving it forward with a love tap?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:43 pm 
Field Grade

Georgian,

There are a couple of checks to do,even though you described the classic, failure to feed up.

1st - do the action bars, and shell latches mover smoothly and free of stiffness?

2nd - does the extractor still have a nice sharp edge where it engages the rim of the shell?

Most likely the problem is one that a special part will fix;
Carrier Dog Follower Spring – I have noticed in many early Express models a problem with the action hanging or stuttering on the closing stroke (fail to feed up), this is commonly caused by the shell carrier not traveling high enough into the receiver and the shell hanging up on the bottom of the chamber. It is a common occurrence and is usually fixed by replacing with P/N 16966 a heavier version of the follower spring.

You can order this part from Remington, it is a 870 police magnum part. Hope this fixes your problem.

Good Luck & Be Safe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thats exactly my problem.....the shell is not clearing the bottom lip of the chamber....the lifter does not seem to lifting it up high enough to clear the chamber lip. Are those follower springs hard to change?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 pm 
Field Grade

Georgian,

Not at all, it will require removing the trigger group and removing carrier pivot tube. I can walk you thru it when you get the part.

Good Luck and Be Safe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey yall. I got the dog carrier spring in, and replaced it....but the problem still remains....any ideas?

Post subject: Re: re: 870 feeding problems
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Georgian wrote:
Hey yall. I got the dog carrier spring in, and replaced it....but the problem still remains....any ideas?

What ammo is this happening with?

How hard are you running the action forward?

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Sounds like the elevator may be bent :?

http://www.kingarmory.com