CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a difference shells make
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Beretta 303 20 gauge shot way too tight with Carlson tubes. They are made for the wrong bore size for the Beretta 20. I put in a Briley flush I.C. and patterened again at 30 yards. Still a full choke pattern with Winchester Super X 1 oz. #6 shot. Switched to Estate 1 1/8 short mag. shell #6 shot and an even I.C. pattern at 30 yards. I'm an old man and I still never realized how much difference brands made! Everyone says pattern with the shells you are going to use. At 66, I'm not too old to learn.
Rex

Post subject: re: What a difference shells make
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bwaaahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

What that tells you is that Estate shells use very poor quality shot - soft and out of round. It is kinda like the practice among some skeet shooters who reload - they use the cheapest, softest, most irregular shot they can get, because they get more pattern spread that way.

But if it works it works, whatever the reason might be. In your particular case, the shot in Estate shells is actually better because it gives you the pattern you need. But I would caution you to do the pattern testing at every range you are likely to experience in the field. If the pattern spreads that much at 30 yards, it may go to hell in a handbasket at 40 yards.

Post subject: Re: re: What a difference shells make
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
Bwaaahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

What that tells you is that Estate shells use very poor quality shot - soft and out of round.

So please enlighten us, how do Imp Cyl patterns with an Imp Cyl choke equal "very poor quality shot"?

Post subject: Re: re: What a difference shells make
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lossking wrote:
So please enlighten us, how do Imp Cyl patterns with an Imp Cyl choke equal "very poor quality shot"?

Go back and read the original post again. Those are not IC chokes, they are Full chokes. They are labeled IC, and they probably would be IC in most Berettas, but in his gun they are actually full chokes.

Post subject: Re: What a difference shells make
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

E Rex B wrote:
I put in a Briley flush I.C. and patterened again at 30 yards. Still a full choke pattern with Winchester Super X 1 oz. #6 shot. Switched to Estate 1 1/8 short mag. shell #6 shot and an even I.C. pattern at 30 yards.

I.C. pattern with I.C. choke tube. That tube might not pattern full with any load other than the Super X 1 oz. #6.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

The point Seamus is making is that the shot in Estate shells is about as lousy as you will find in a shell. I photographed a bunch of them in flight summer before last--clumps, fliers ( I don't mean a couple inches out, either), cold welded pellets, really ratty looking, strung out patterns. Yeah, I know, they'll break targets, but after what I saw, they won't break any for me. If you love 'em, have at 'em, but as the thread originally indicated, all shells are not created equal.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually, I don't think these shells are made anymore. These are buffered short magnums and I don't think they are listed anymore. The choke tube does mike as an I.C. tube should for a .627 bore. I've yet to try the Federal 1 oz load.
Rex