CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 gauge skeet load cheapest way to start?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I love to reload, up to the time I started to look at shotgun reloading that is. I am going crazy trying to decide what to base my reloading on the 28 gauge. WW have a great reputation and have a reported long life as a reloading component. They are unavailable except as a fired cartridge! I called NSSA and they sent me 200 hulls for $20, plus shipping. I have no problem with this but this was the only source I could find. I am looking at Rio, Fiocchi and Cheddite. I have found Rio 28 gauge by the case at C.A.C. Associates, $82.50 per case with shipping. Chedddite and Fiocchi are available as primed and skived hulls. I've heard new hulls are hard to reload but am will to try anything to cut costs. Connie's has a good price of shot, $42.99 per bag of 25 lbs and Downrange wads for $74.99 for 5000. I have "discovered" non-name brand wads will substitute for the Winchester wads I spent $159.99 per 5000 to get started. I have 700 Winchester hulls, two cases of factory rounds I'm going to use in regestered shoots and 200 from NSSA. Should I set up for the Rio hulls and give up entirely on the Winchester AAs? My calculations say I will break even in two reloads using the cheap hulls, if they last that long. I would have to load the Winchester hulls ten times to get to $5.11 a box. I estimate Cheddite 28 ga can be reloaded for $4.98 if they will last three reloads and Fiocchi for $4.67 for three reloads. Will these cheaper hulls last that long? Sorry for the long series of questions. I have read here about the difficulty setting up for reloading shotgun shells and want to get off on the right foot, as well as be able to shoot a lot relatively cheaply. Is there any source of internet sales of loaded 28 gauge that I can get below $82.50 a case delivered?

Post subject: re: 28 gauge skeet load cheapest way to start?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

Howdy! Are you back in Tennessee? I met you at Paris, Texas a few weeks ago. I was doing a lot of missing with my 410 Browning XS.

Back to the subject!

If you can get AAHS hulls for a dime each, that is exactly what I would do. They'll last at least 10 loads each. I would also suggest Claybuster wads and either Unique or 20/28 powder. Here's a great component source:
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,46.html

I'm sure others will be along soon, but that's a start. Holler again if you still have questions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:36 pm 

Rio, Nobel and Clays 28 hulls, are a PITA and have a pitiful usable life. OTOH. WWAA HS 28 hulls are almost heroic in their ability to keep lasting. Just separate them by length to avoid crimp issues. 2 5/8" = short ones 2 11/16= long ones.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes, WW-HS are well worth "Choice #1" in any loader's book, IMO. Enough so that paying the ridiculous prices for a flat (or boxes) and then loading them into disintegration is worth it.

OTOH, my experiences with RIO (& PMC) 28 ga hulls are that they are great hulls for reloading and I have easily gotten 5 and 6 reloads out of mine (and probably could've stretched them further than that but, I load and shoot 'em through my double barrels until the last time when I like to use 'em in my 1100 and leave 'em lay!) so, guess everyone's experiences are different. Yours may be too but, I wouldn't shy away from trying 100 or so yourself in order to make up your own mind.

I only use Gualandi wads in my RIO & PMC 28ga hulls which I buy from Graf & Sons for $99/5,000. I love those wads and regularly use them for 5/8oz loads in RIO & PMC hulls (talk about $aving real $ on shot!).

Anyway, I strongly suggest you do a patient and extensive SEARCH of RIO 28 and PMC 28 topics in this forum for much good info (and actual load recipes, too)!

Regarding "no name / off brand wads", you wrote: "I spent $159.99 per 5000 to get started."
Brother, I HOPE that was a typo or else you're going to start shopping somewhere else, SOON!

"Should I set up for the Rio hulls and give up entirely on the Winchester AAs? My calculations say I will break even in two reloads using the cheap hulls, if they last that long."

That is definitely gonna be a choice you have to make but, I switch my press back & forth (as little as possible) as the settings for the RIO (& PMC) hulls (& Gualandi wads, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4 oz) are quite a bit diffferent than what I have to adjust my MEC 600 Jr for Win or Rem hulls. I just shoot whatever I want all year long and only spend 6 months loading one type (RIO & PMC) and the other 6 months loading the other (Wins and Rems).

I cannot think of any way you could not get at least 3 reloads out of RIO's. The ones I drove up and snapped up 40 flats of from Shyda's in PA (yeah, I know but, I truly saw the ridiculous-ness a-comin') were $50.00 flat into the bed o' my p/u when I bought 'em and, I don't know what anyone else is referring to but, the RIO's and PMC's I am shooting and loading all have HARD RUBBER (and ***NOT FIBER or PAPER***) basewads.

And, sorry, no, I am not selling any of those flats, or even boxes -- not even to family members!

"I have read here about the difficulty setting up for reloading shotgun shells and want to get off on the right foot, as well as be able to shoot a lot relatively cheaply."

That's a valid point and I would be less than honest if I did not tell you that I had been reloading for at least 5 years (and 28 for at least a year) when I took the "RIO 28 plunge" so, I had enough base experience that fidgeting around with the primer seater, pre-crimp and final crimp to get the Gualandi / RIO & PMC combinations (in either 5/8, 11/16 or 3/4 oz payloads) to come off my MEC 600 Jr beeeeautifully was not that big o' deal.

Is there any source of internet sales of loaded 28 gauge that I can get below $82.50 a case delivered?
I don't have any idea but, probably. I fortunately convinced my wife the investment I alluded to above was in our best interest, collectively and long-term.

Hey, did I mention I strongly suggest you do a patient and extensive SEARCH of RIO 28 and PMC 28 topics in this forum for much good info (and actual load recipes, too)!

Best o' success! :wink:

PS - I did fail to mention that I do add one step when relaoding RIO or PMC 28 hulls that I do not currently do for any domestics and that is RE-sizing the heads. I simply bought a MEC Super-sizer and run through a bunch of the RIO or PMC 28 hulls in front of TV. Never had to worry about it with the doemstics, go figure. Anyway, wanted to be accurate and make sure I mention that, also.

Last edited by thor_sen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:01 pm 
Crown Grade

my .02, here

grading the hulls,
best to last
Win HS
Win AA
Remmys all american ribbed or premier ( Good hull)
Remmy sts
Federal
Estate
Cheddite
Rio
Wolf
I've loaded all the way down to the estates, never loaded Cheddite or rio. I have loaded wolf, they are a pita I would not consider buying wads for the imports, I used a CB HS wad in the wolf. It's better to buy a flat of good shells or once fired hulls, mainly the 1st 3 in order. once a year Bass pro sells Win HS for 6.00 a box. If they're out, get a raincheck. best of luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:04 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

No one has mentioned Recob's Reloading supplies, which is often given as the source for best prices on reloading supplies. Just google Recobs. You will soon learn what is a fair price for standard reloading supplies. Re 28 ga I would certainly buy a flat of AAHS and reload them until they fell apart. Do not be surprised when a few split, even with the first firing. It happens. The 28 ga is lovely to shoot, but shells are pricey. One can make the 3/4 oz load in a 12 ga hull, and have a 28 in a 12. Very cheap!!! Floyd in Vienna

Post subject: Re: re: 28 gauge skeet load cheapest way to start?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

Vie wrote:
No one has mentioned Recob's Reloading supplies,

:?: Uh, take another look at the first reply.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:27 am 

claysmoker wrote:
Vie wrote:
No one has mentioned Recob's Reloading supplies,

:?: Uh, take another look at the first reply.

Yeah, but that was so long ago :lol:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LIke Vie, I settled on loading light loads in the 12 ga for the most economy, ease of finding free hulls and satisfactory results. I started with 3/4 oz and later switched to 5/8 oz. 12 ga components are the easiest to find and generally the cheapest to buy. 12 ga reloads are superior to 28 ga and will do everything a 28 ga will do better except using them in anything but 12 ga competition events.

259xx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

ke4yyd wrote:
12 ga reloads are superior to 28 ga and will do everything a 28 ga will do better except using them in anything but 12 ga competition events.

There you hit it. I believe he's shooting in 28 gauge registered skeet.

Of course some of us like the 28 gauge because the hulls are nice and compact, and they are just so darned cute. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't think he said so but could well be. I shoot some registered skeet and find that for the few 28 ga events I shoot it is cheaper to buy new Nobel Sport shells then to buy a 28 ga reloader. I don't need to practice with the 28 ga as I shoot a balanced Superposed 4 barrel set that all shoot the same except for recoil.

259xx

Last edited by ke4yyd on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:23 am 
Limited Edition

All I shoot in 20 ga are the 3/4 oz loads. Switching to 28 ga and factory 3/4 oz I can't tell any difference. UNLESS Your shooting thousands in competition I'd practice with 20's and buy RIO's or whatever for registered.

FN

BMWMOA #69950
NSSA #173287

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Graff and Sons is a great place to get reloading supplies too. I buy all my wads from them.

I use the Claybuster wads, Longshot powder.

Buy a flat of the AA-HS shoot them then you have them to reload.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have done some work loading Rio, Fiocchi, B&P, PMC hulls with Win AA28HS (CB 5034HS) wads some time back. After sectioning them and measuring them I suspect they are all made by Chedite. My experence has shown you get about 3 - 4 reloads before they start to split at the folds. I will reload them if I get them dumpster diving or for free. Rather I would much prefer the Win AAHS hull which will easily reload 10 good thimes. Second the Rem hull which will get you about 5 or 6 reloads before the ends become toasted and crispy. Rather than buy empty hulls I have found it better to watch for sales and pick up several flats of Win AA's to shoot when needed. I have settled on Alliants 20/28 powder for my loads with Longshot a good alternative.

Post subject: Re: 28 gauge skeet load cheapest way to start?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:05 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="redhawk500"] I estimate Cheddite 28 ga can be reloaded for $4.98 if they will last three reloads and Fiocchi for $4.67 for three reloads. Will these cheaper hulls last that long? [quote]

I got 5-6 reloads out of Fiocchi hulls, but the primer pocket has to be resized after 2-3 loads.

I also just got my 2nd reload into "Kemen" Cheditte hulls. They look a litte thiner than the Fio. hulls.

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=155114

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree with using the Win AAHS......they are the way to go for having many, many reloads. I usually get about 10 or so. And don't get hung up on using just one type of powder....I have been buying what I find on sale....such as Solo1250, Unique, and I have even used a lot of 800X and Herco in 28ga. loads....just today I reloaded about 100 Remington UMC hulls with Herco. I buy from Recobs mostly but Graf & Sons is a good one too.