CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Model 67
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was at Martin B Retting today and saw a used Savage Model 67 for $175 that was very clean. I was tempted to buy it along with a Rem Model 11 but then I thought 4 hunting shotguns for two people is really enough but it looked real nice. I hunted with a fellow who downed some pigeons with it . What do you guys think of the savage Model 67 and is it a good deal with a one year warranty at that price?

Leftyhunter :D

Post subject: re: Savage Model 67
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:02 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

It sounds like the price is about right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Model 67 was always a cheap gun. But, for a long time it was a usable gun. Then, cost cutting finally reduced the very last Model 67's to the point were they hold the distinction of being the absolute worst American made repeating shotgun ever offered to the American public.

Wal Mart got a shipment of 67's at the very last of the run, in the middle 1980's, and about half of them wouldn't function,,,brand new. The other half were junk, even if they went bang for a while.

$175 buys a really nice used Mossberg 500, probably with choke tubes. They ain't pretty, they handle like a two by four, but at least they'll go bang every time and last till Christ comes. Or, you could just go buy a brand new Maverick 88 (Mossberg) at Wal Mart, and forget trying to buy a used pump. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys good info. I am surprised that Savage which has a good reputation would allow itself to be sullied by making a bad gun. I know that the Savage 57 was competing with the Rem Express &Mossy 500 but why not be at least equal to the competition/ Thats to bad. In Calif a few years ago the State Attorney General Locklear made some kind of deal with Wallyworld that since the moronic clerks can't help themselves from selling guns to felons that Wallyworld can no longer sell guns in Calif and even though we have a new Attorney general. Big 5 which is a medium sized sporting goods chain in the West sometimes has Mossy 500's with two barrels an18 and 26 inch for sale at $270. It was such a pretty gun I really liked it but I am glad I held off. I have an old wingmaster that I picked up for $150 but it wasn't has nice looking has my beat up wingmaster which is none the less quite reliable and lays pigeons to rest.

Thanks again;
Leftyhunter :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am 
Utility Grade

When I was in college in the late 60's, my main shotgun was a 67 in 20 gauge. I could hit everything with it and out did many others with it. The 3" chamber helped with waterfowl. But now with steel shotand non-toxic's, I wouldn't buy one unless you'll be using only lead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:31 am 
Diamond Grade

My first shotgun was a 67 many,many years ago and it is still in as good of shape as when my dad gave it to me in 1967.
There were times when it would fail to eject and feed but it was all I had and I killed a lot of game with it. I've kept it for sentimental reasons.
I also killed a 160 class whitetail with it about 20 years ago before I got a rifled barrel slug gun with scope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:54 am 
Diamond Grade

SuperXone: Give the Mossberg model 500 more credit. Granted, it might not be the belle of the ball but I would not go so far as to state it handles like a 2x4 (especially since it has an aluminum receiver).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:01 pm 

I know there are exceptions, and some folks have one that has functioned great for years.
That being said, the Savage model 67 is perhaps the worst designed modern pump action shotgun. Crude action, prone to breakdown, pot metal trigger housing. I bought one years ago and after several issues, I destroyed it and trashed it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've got one in 20ga., it's a 67F with no S/N. I got it back in 66 or 67. Bird hunted with it for years. Never had any problem with it, other than... just had to make sure I pushed the shell all the way into the magazine tube until it clicked. If not, the shell would pop out on top of the carrier & cause a jam. Learned what to do & it worked like it should. It's just a plain-jane looking shotgun.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As for the poor Mossys, I concede they work well, but the Remington 870 Express, for only a little bit more money, handles, points, and shoots about as well as anything you can buy at any price. The Mossy may handle better than a two by four, but for my taste it's not a shotgun blessed with "dynamic balance". :wink: (The moral to the story is, if you haven't spent the money yet,,,,,buy the 870)

As for the Model 67,,,I actually own one,,,,kind of. Mine says Model 30E, it's a 410,,,,has gorgeous wood, bluing, donut post vent rib, just the fanciest "Model 67" you can imagine. Mine was made about 1960. If Savage tried, they could produce some pretty decent pump shotguns. A long time ago. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

SuperXone: I agree; the Remington 870 is a much better shotgun than the Mossberg 500. But either is a much better shotgun than the Savage 67 (and most buyers will not be able to locate a 1960 model). Savage gave up on competing in the shotgun market years ago.