CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 1400 Mk 2 Semi-auto questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone.

I recently acquired a shotgun from my dad.It's a Winchester 1400 MK 2 semi-auto 12 gauge,this is my first gun in the higher gauges,but i have some experience with higher caliber and high gauges.He said that this shotgun is most likely over 35 years old(he bought it not too long before getting drafted to Vietnam)It is in pretty good shape,for not being fired in over 25 years.So i have quite a few questions.

Is this gun worth it/right for a teenager starting into higher gauged shotguns?

Should I invest into a choke for skeet and shooting the odd pumpkin(and perhaps hunting,such as quail,but I haven't started hunting yet)?

Is there a particular way i have to field strip/clean this firearm?(this would be my first semi-auto firearm)

Any certain shells i should use?

Any certain precautions i should take cleaning,and firing it?

Thanks for the help.
-Mike

Post subject: re: Winchester 1400 Mk 2 Semi-auto questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:45 am 
Crown Grade

Owners manual for a winchester model 1400 auto loading shotgun. Save to hard drive and/or print it out.
will give info on cleaning and operation.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_1 ... hester.pdf

{hs#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much.
Does anyone have a first hand account of the gun?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Proud owner here. One thing the manual will NOT tell you is that if you remove the magazine spring for cleaning and such is that it needs to go back in the same way it came out. Don't flip it around. Don't ask me how I know this!

Woody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good gun. I bought a Sears Ted Williams in the 1960s. It is the same gun as the Winchester 1400. It is in like new condition as we speak.

My clientele live in expensive gated communities. The state prison system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

It's definitely a great gun.I just went out with my dad and shot not much over 25 shells through it,the recoil was nothing to worry about.Thanks for all the help guys,this forum's great!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've owned several 1400 Winchesters, and never had any problem with them.

They are about the lightest kicking shoguns ever made, a trait they share that with the Winchester Super X One.

I assume your gun came with Winchokes (screw in choke tubes) since you asked about getting a skeet choke.

Choke tubes for your gun only cost about $15 brand new. You'd probably learn to shoot better, quicker, with a more open choke tube such as skeet, or improved cylinder. Browning Standard Invector, Mossberg standard, or Weatherby choke tubes will all interchange with a Winchoke treaded gun.

You'll never need another shotgun the rest of your life. You may want a fancier one, someday, but the one you already own would allow you to do anything with a shotgun you'd want to do. Congratulations!!!

Post subject: Re: re: Winchester 1400 Mk 2 Semi-auto questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I read about them coming with 'winchokes' but upon searching with my dad in the attic,we haven't found any.

Can we buy winchokes anywhere now,or are they discontinued?

thanks for all the help.It really does kick lightly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Available pretnear anywhere that sells gun accessories. If I remember correctly, they run around $15.00 each.

My clientele live in expensive gated communities. The state prison system.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Only 15.00?I'll pick up one next time I go near a store.Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 1400 in 20 ga and have put a few thousand rounds through it without a fault.
Simple to take down, remove front cap, pull of forearm & barrel together, clean & reassemble.
Clean out the gas ports under the barrel band each time also.

Have fun its a perfect shooter & light recoiling gun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

5spd wrote:
I have a 1400 in 20 ga and have put a few thousand rounds through it without a fault.
Simple to take down, remove front cap, pull of forearm & barrel together, clean & reassemble.
Clean out the gas ports under the barrel band each time also.

Have fun its a perfect shooter & light recoiling gun.

Thanks.
Does yours have a shell limiter(not the right term)where you remove the front cap?I mainly just shoot clays and targets,so is it Legal (in Illinois) to take out the front cap,or put in a new plug(or whatever the expanding procedure is)?

I can only hold 3 shells,one in the chamber,2 in the storage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The second you take out a "three shot plug", you are almost certain to not be able to find it the next time some buddy comes by and wants to go hunting. Worse yet, they are a pain to remove and replace, although it's not that bad of a job.

I leave all mine in. But then again, when I was a teenager, I had them out all the time. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:14 pm 
Utility Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
The second you take out a "three shot plug", you are almost certain to not be able to find it the next time some buddy comes by and wants to go hunting. Worse yet, they are a pain to remove and replace, although it's not that bad of a job.

I leave all mine in. But then again, when I was a teenager, I had them out all the time. :wink:

Are they smaller than a shell?I'll look at it tomorrow,and maybe take it out.

I don't think i'll have much trouble with buddies though,when they come over and ask to shoot some skeet,i point them towards the break action .410 :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:12 pm 
Crown Grade

My 1187 skeet came with a mag plug.....don't know why since it's a target gun but it did? After using it for 16-17 years it's still in the gun. Never found a reason to remove it, as you should never load more then a couple of rounds at a time target shooting anyway. Also used it hunting a number of times and law requires a three round max where I'm at, so I just leave it in.
8)
:idea: So if you are thinking about hunting at all you might just as well leave the darn thing in, because sure as shootin' you'll probably forget to put in it back in! :roll: