CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 18.5' w/ Door Breacher = No Heat Shield?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up a Mossberg 500 (4+1) Persuader 12 gauge today. My first shotgun ever. This is the solid black 18.5-inch variety with the parkarized finish, pistol grip only, and jagged barrel end (door breacher).

This owner's manual states that a heat shield can only go on "plain barrels." Does this mean the door breacher will prevent me from installing a heat shield on it if it's left in stock condition?

Thanks for any info/advice.

Post subject: re: Mossberg 500 18.5' w/ Door Breacher = No Heat Shield?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a mossberg heat shield on mine but I would hardly say it "fits." The breacher has the same heavy barrel as the 590A1 and has that big breaching tip on the end. This means you can not slide the front of the heatshield on from the end rather you must force it down over the barrel from the top, which will almost undoubtedly scratch your barrel underneath. Also because of the location of the tube support you will only be able to use one bolt instead of two to hold the front in place, and you will also need to shorten the rear of the heatshield by about 1/8 of an inch, so the barrel will seat fully in the receiver.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:19 am 
Field Grade

I HEAR aimpro tactical is making an aftermarket heatshield for both the 20 and 18.5 in barrel. The mounting ring interference described above is the primary issue. WE've been told 3 weeks for the least 3 months, so I'd expect it any day now.

Is that a Hahn Precision Safety and Rail I see?

Did you cut a notch in the center of the rear of the heatshield due to the rail overhanging the barrel?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

It’s a Vang oversized safety and the rail is Sidearmor. The rail actually raises up a bit where it overhangs the barrel so there was no need to cut the heatshield to go around it.