CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crimp Adjustment with MEC 600 Jr.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 am 
Presentation Grade

I've managed to confuse myself again. I'm loading 7/8 oz. 7.5 shot in both AA HS and Rem hulls. I use CB1100-12 wads in the Rems and DRA12 Pink in the AA HS with 18.5 gr. of Clays over Fio 616 primers.

The Rems load and crimp great, but the AA HS have the typical bulge that occurs when the stack is too tall. I know the components SHOULD work OK, as the DRA12 Pink is a little shorter than the CB wad, but I can't seem to adjust the loader to get a decent crimp on the AA HS hulls. In the past I have loaded a 1 oz. round with all components the same except 17.4 gr. Clays that crimped fine.

Am I just trying to get 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. bag, or is there some adjustment I can make to the loader?

If it is the stack height that's the problem, could I substitute a CB clone of the WAA12 wad successfully and safely? That wad is shorter than the DRA12 Pink and might work.

Tks for any help.

Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid. - John Wayne

Post subject: re: Crimp Adjustment with MEC 600 Jr.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

How much crimp room do you have after you load the shot? Should be about 1/2.
I use sbout the same load, AA's, 7/8 of 7.5's, 17.2Clays, 209, and CB 1078 (gray), clone for 12AAL and get great crimps.
Maybe a little more was pressure would help?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I load both Rems and WAA with 7/8-8 shot, 18gr Clays, Rem209P, and CB0178 wads. With very good results.

I was getting a buldge in the AA's at first, but after adjusting the wad pressure, and crimp station I now get a great crimp in the AA's , and with the Rems a very slight dish, hardly noticable.

I think alot my problem was from 5 year old hulls that were in my garage and weakend from changes in heat and cold for that long of period. After getting a few thousand good AA hulls the cam was only thing that really needed adjusted as I was getting a swirl in the crimp, now it's all good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the feedback. I just came in from the laoding bench and the same problem continues. I increased wad pressure to about 30 and got the crimps to close better, but I still can't get the crimp to close all the way. I'm still getting a hole in the middle of the crimp that allows a shot to dribble out! :evil: Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, both the Rem hulls and the older Win AA CF hulls crimp fine. Problem is just with the Win AA HS hulls!

Tks.

Post subject: Re: re: Crimp Adjustment with MEC 600 Jr.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:59 pm 

bcpifish wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I just came in from the laoding bench and the same problem continues. I increased wad pressure to about 30 and got the crimps to close better, but I still can't get the crimp to close all the way. I'm still getting a hole in the middle of the crimp that allows a shot to dribble out! :evil: Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, both the Rem hulls and the older Win AA CF hulls crimp fine. Problem is just with the Win AA HS hulls!

Tks.

Lower the precrimp so that the hole in the middle will barely let a piece of 7 1/2 shot fall into it. This should place more plastic into the crimp. If you have a taper crimp as a final station, let it up a bit until you have the rest worked out.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Curly - Lowering the pre-crimp further (I had already lowered it some!) was mostly successful. Closed up the crimp enough that I would call the loads "acceptable", but far from the quality I was getting on the Rem hulls.

I think the lesson for me in all this is that I'm really going to try to stick to the Rem hulls. The AA HS hull just is not of the quality and re-loadability that the old AA CF hulls were. I'll continue to reload the AA hulls that I have, but I will try to concentrate on finding Rem hulls for the future. I will get some of the CB 1078 wads that RugerFan mentioned and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it, as there seems to be plenty of room in the hulls for the powder/wad/shot. Perhaps the combination of my Mec reloader and it's operator just like Rem hulls better!

Thanks to all for the assist.

Post subject: Re: re: Crimp Adjustment with MEC 600 Jr.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:08 am 

bcpifish wrote:
Curly - Lowering the pre-crimp further (I had already lowered it some!) was mostly successful. Closed up the crimp enough that I would call the loads "acceptable", but far from the quality I was getting on the Rem hulls.

I think the lesson for me in all this is that I'm really going to try to stick to the Rem hulls. The AA HS hull just is not of the quality and re-loadability that the old AA CF hulls were. I'll continue to reload the AA hulls that I have, but I will try to concentrate on finding Rem hulls for the future. I will get some of the CB 1078 wads that RugerFan mentioned and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it, as there seems to be plenty of room in the hulls for the powder/wad/shot. Perhaps the combination of my Mec reloader and it's operator just like Rem hulls better!

Thanks to all for the assist.

Pick up a bag of the Downrange Dr-XXL-1 pink wads, their double XX constuction is very forgiving in stack height. I use them for 7/8 and 3/4 with no press change, other than shot drop.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking