CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shotgun barrel inserts?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:02 am 
Field Grade

Has anyone here used barrel inserts in their shotgun?

I'm thinking about getting a 10" insert in 357 mag and a 2 3/4" insert in 22 LR and would love hear fron anyone who's tried them or has them. This would be for my 12 ga SxS.

Thanks,
Clayhead

Post subject: re: shotgun barrel inserts?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never heard of such a thing. Who makes them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a pair of fourtenners for a 20ga and sub guage briley tube set for a 682......I know quite a few others with various shotgun guage reducing inserts of one sort or another and mostly they work quite well.....I have no experience with rifled pistol cal. or rifled rimfire inserts for shotgun......

I will venture an opinion about the concept though.....the idea of haveing either a 357 mag. or a rifled .22 rimfire in a gun without rifle sights doesn't appeal to me.....doesn't sound like they would be very accurate......I have a Routledge barelled Rem. 121 and shooting lr ball cartridges through it is a joke...I realize this is the inverse situation of shooting ball in a smooth bore but you get what I mean I hope....an 8" beaten zone at 25yds. just don't get it.......Just my opinion....Art

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes i have some, and yes i've used them a bit...

They are really for very close range shooting, but with a bunch of messing around to dial them in, you can get one to do a bit better.

The only ones that really shoot well are very expensive and come out of europe... I have a couple of those, and they shoot comparable to a decent bolt action rifle...

In this pict. you can see my 22 Win. mag. "insert bbl.", in the right shot bbl. of my "go to gun"...

It locks into place, but comes out easily so i can use shot shells in the bbl. when i want to.

DM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NEAT! I did a quick google search but came up empty. Is there a brand name you can refer me to?

Post subject: Re: re: shotgun barrel inserts?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

drsfmd wrote:
NEAT! I did a quick google search but came up empty. Is there a brand name you can refer me to?

My good ones are Krieghoff...

DM

Post subject: Re: shotgun barrel inserts?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been looking for Drillings & Veirlings for many years and have seen only
a few guns with a .22 insert with them- they all looked the one above-
Someday I will find one in American calibers- I think they are more art than firearm sometimes-

Post subject: Re: shotgun barrel inserts?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

I have seen the ads for "multicaliber adapters" for rifles. Some old-timers in the Adirondacks used to keep one in their pocket for shooting a grouse or snowshoe rabbit with a head shot using their deer rifles, but with a smaller and less meat-destroying cartridge. They worked pretty well for close-range shots from what I was told. The adapters came in such calibers as .22LR in .222 Rem, .22LR in .223, .30 Carbine in .30-30, .32 ACP in 30-30, .32 ACP in .30/06, etc., etc. so you are shooting a full bore-sized projectile down the barrel. You just opened the action, took out the "standard" cartridge, slipped the loaded insert in the barrel, closed the action, and shot your critter.

What these are is a rifle cartridge size case with an opening at the base for a smaller cartridge to fit in. (In the rimfire "smaller cartridge" models, there is also an insert with an offset firing pin to allow firing.)

The last ad I saw recently they were priced at $20 for blued steel, or $28 for stainless. The producer was MCA SPORTS/ACE BULLET CO., 2800 West 33rd Road, Anchorage, AK 99517-2201.

BobK