CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identifying Franchi barrel and Gun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Utility Grade

I just bought this Franchi 48AL yesterday. Thanks to this forum I was able to date it to 1964 but I had a couple other questions. First, on the barrel it has 3 stars. What does that mean? And secondly the gun also came with a second 20 inch Franchi barrel with a Hartford Poly Choke. I assume that was an add on. I paid $350 for the gun and extra barrel. Seems like I got a good deal.

Other thing is that the gun isnt chambering rounds. I filled it will 2 3/4 inch shells but they are not being chanbered. Looks like there is this little black metal piece keeping the shells from exiting the choke tube and its not releasing when cycle the chamber.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Post subject: re: Help identifying Franchi barrel and Gun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Congrats on your purchase. Are you saying it is not chambering the next round while you are firing the gun?

Post subject: re: Help identifying Franchi barrel and Gun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tear ir down and give it a good cleaning. Then take the spring out of the magazine tube and clean the tube out good. It is wasy to get rust in the tube and that is the last place most gunners look.

This is a very simple gun to disassemble and put back together. In over 40 years of fairly heavy use, no parts needed to be replaced. Might just need a good cleaning. Use Gunscribber on the trigger assembly. Don't try to disassemble any of the trigger assembly. That is for gunsmiths, at least it is for me.

Good luck with your gun. I really love the variable chokes. It makes for a very versatile gun. No gun sits in my safe without one.

Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

Post subject: Re: Help identifying Franchi barrel and Gun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:17 pm 
Limited Edition

swgordon wrote:
First, on the barrel it has 3 stars. What does that mean?

It means that the barrel has a modified choke.

Also, the shells won't exit the magazine upon cycling the action manually. You have to actually shoot the gun, and I'll bet it works fine. If you want to unload the magazine you have to press the cartridge interruptor/catch with your thumb to let each one out.

I actually prefer this method as it's easy to unload the chamber and replace with another shell, or for safety. The magazine won't release another shell until the barrel moves rearward under recoil.

HTH.