CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg forearms
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:17 pm 
Limited Edition

When my mossberg 500 is pumped in the forward position it is very loose for my liking. How can I fix this? there has to be a way.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg forearms
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:51 am 
Utility Grade

I have wondered that many times myself but have yet to find the answer. maybe together we can find out. Friends of mine call it the mossberg rattle. All the mossberg 12ga that i have handled have done it. kind of noisy. But still love my gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:47 am 

The loose forend is standard on most of the Mossberg 500s and Maverick 88s. There may be a way to tighten it up, but I'm not sure how. It is their trademark to have loose forends.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe you'll find the loose, "rattly" fore end is a design decision that allows the Mossberg to function without issue even though it gets very dirty. I seem to recall a post is this forum (perhaps elsewhere) that explains the apparent looseness in Mossbergs

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:16 pm 
Limited Edition

yes , it is know as the famous mossberg rattle. Mossberg was the first pump shotgun to pass military standards . This "looseness" is so that dirt and trash that would have jammed a regular tight fitting shotgun would be jiggled out of the mossberg,, that is why they were so dependable in the field. perhaps you can tighten your forearm nut some --maybe if yours is really really loose ,then your nut just needs tightened.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:23 pm 
Limited Edition

yes , it is know as the famous mossberg rattle. Mossberg was the first pump shotgun to pass military standards . This "looseness" is so that dirt and trash that would have jammed a regular tight fitting shotgun would be jiggled out of the mossberg,, that is why they were so dependable in the field. perhaps you can tighten your forearm nut some --maybe if yours is really really loose ,then your nut just needs tightened.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:57 am 
Field Grade

I'm looking at my 500 20 ga, & for the umpteenth time, I am convinced that while there is excessive slop in the pump rail guides of the reciever, this is not the culprit. I can hold onto the guide bars to dampen them, & still get the rattle from up ahead in the forend. I seriously believe the problem is that the plastic forend tube is too oversize in relation to the mag tube. Moving the forend up, down, or side to side produces a tic kind of sound from the plastic contacting metal. Are the small dimples in the plastic tube meant to be a cheap way take up some of this slack? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It still goes back to design. I didn't know the tubes were now plastic, but the same principle applies. It is made to tolerate a lot of dirt - you can practically hose off a Mossberg to clean it (not recommended for long term use) and get back to working order. Ordinary dirt will pretty much shake out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:15 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have had a 500ag for years and love it but mine has a bad forearm rattle too. I took some, but not all, the rattle out of mine by simply putting a thick rubber band around the mag tube near the very top, so that the top of the forearm tube rests on the rubber band. Has not affected function that I can tell. Looks a little silly but what the heck, the rabbits and squirrels don't care.

I've been mulling over some sort of o ring arrangement around the mag tube, or maybe even some sort of epoxy job, but haven't got around to looking at it. I'm a lot noisier than my shotgun anyway so I guess it don't matter a whole lot in the long run.