CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detachable Magazine Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

My current home defense weapon is a Mossberg 500 with a few extras. :D I've kept it under the bed for 5 years, and we had our first son in March. We also have 6 nieces and nephews running around now, so we have new factors to consider. I found an under-the-bed biometric safe that I have been testing and am very happy with, but I would much rather stick with a shotgun rather than switch to a pistol that fits in the safe. I was thinking--if I switch to a detachable magazine shotgun, I can keep the magazine in the safe, the shotgun under the bed, and not worry about a firearm and ammunition falling into the wrong hands.

So, any suggestions on detachable magazine 12 gauge shotguns? Semi or pump are OK--reliability is key. I know of the Saiga 12, the SRM 1216, the Valtro PM5, the XM-26 (available to the public?), and a couple others, but I am not convinced so far.

I have put much thought into whether a gun safe makes sense for my situation, but if I go with the option listed above, what is the best detachable magazine home defense shotgun?
Thanks!

Post subject: re: Detachable Magazine Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm pretty fond of the USAS-12, but it is one Heavy piece of iron.

If I had a choice, I'd wait till after the SAR show in Phoenix, AZ and see what everyone has to say about the Monolith P-12 that's supposed to appear in '09.

Whatever you decide, you may want to decide quickly. As I remember ANY shotgun with a detachable magazine (semi- or pump-) may be banned under AWB v2.0.

Post subject: re: Detachable Magazine Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm 
Crown Grade

The Saiga is the most common mag fed 12 gauge by a wide margin. As a result, it is likely to be the easiest to find, or find magazines, ect for.

I've heard bad things about storing plastic shotgun shells in box magazines for long periods of time, due to the spring pressure crushing them. If you do this, empty the HD magazine on a regular basis and refill it with fresh shells. The easiest way would be to take it with you when you go shooting. Shoot off the shells and refill when you get home. Alternately, you could try to find some brass cased shells to load your HD magazine with, which will resist crushing better than the plastic ones. The downside is that brass shells are going to be more expensive than plastic shells, and offer a very limited selection, which means a lower chance of getting a round that patterns well out of your gun.