CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .640 in an 870
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Thats what I was told to get over the phone for card shooting. I know its a Really tight constriction for shooting but thats all I had to go by is what I'm told from someone thats business is marketing chokes. Anyway, I ordered on a monday and recieved my choke a couple days later. Well, During my testing I found out that the .640 in my 870 shoots about like the modified choke minus some of the outter spread. Its got a bad pattern. I'll try and get some pictures of what its doing. I was told that ever gun acts differently to different chokes. I compared the 870 with .640 choke to my Mossberg 500 with a XX-FULL Choke by mossberg. There was no comparison. Over 20 in the 1 inch bullseye at 20 yards. The so called card shooters choke managed to have 5 or so and no deffinate concentration of shot anywhere on the target. I'm not just shooting a 8x11 sheet of paper I'm shooting into a big piece of cardboard so I know where my shots are going. I'm just wonder if any of you had any luck with that tight of choke in a Remington 870? and what would you all suggest I do? The manufactuer does not offer a refund. I called them and told them that I was not satisfied with it and they told me I needed to shoot it more. I only shot it 6 times. It don't take long to figure out somethings not right. Would I be right by letting someone else test it out and see if they like it in their gun and trying to sale it. Then ordering something thats not that tight of constriction? Thats the only thing I know of trying?

Post subject: re: .640 in an 870
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Who did you get it from? I would call them and tell them it is not performing correctly, and get an exchange if possible. It's been almost 30 years, but I was playing with chokes, forcing cones, and backboring, and I had a manufacturer send me a box full of choke tubes to test, and I only had to pay for the one(s) I decided to keep. See if they will send you several and do the same thing, even if you have to pay and then get a refund, IF they have any references. Tell them that was suggested here. Good guys want good press !
P.S. - What you are doing is the ONLY way to test pattern. I had a buddy that had the turkey winningest 1100 ever seen. 30" full fixed choke markings on a 3" Magnum, non-vent rib barrel. About 1966 vintage. Patterned absolutely terrible except it threw a wad of shot into about a 4" circle, about 3" right and 3" down from the point of aim. When we miked the barrel it was about 0.080" out of round on the end - but not a mark on it. Wouldn't kill a duck worth a hoot, but more than once we won 2 turkeys with 2 shots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 pm 
Utility Grade

The manufacturer is COMPNCHOKE. I did't realize that they did not offer returns or exchanges on their line of turkey and card shooting chokes. I called my order in and they told me what SHOULD work in my gun. So thats all I had to go by. They did not mention a return policy when I ordered.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Only proper way to pick out a choke is to pattern it!
Some (full) chokes will give you a nice, tight, even pattern and others will throw fliers all over the place (yup, you can over choke a shotgun!). :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

What size choke would be my next choice since the .640 is not working. Would I need to go way back to something like the other gun like a .670 or would a 0.010 of difference like a .650 make all the difference in the world? These things are not cheap. I wish I had some to try out to see what I need so I don't have to purchase chokes that won't work. I guess thats a good reason to take it to someone and let them pattern the gun for you so you don't have to purchase 10 chokes to figure out the one you need. That might be my next step. LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:07 am 
Limited Edition

Welcome to the forum.
Every gun and load will pattern different, weather will also play a small part. Good luck, it's always fun finding the right combination I think, although it can get expensive. Sell what doesn't work if you can't return it, that will help recoup $'s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

expresshunter, here's a site for you to get tons of info. Guns for turkey shoots are becoming very highly specialized these days.
Talk to some of the shooters on there for references on gunsmiths that will make you a choke or modify your barrel for turkey shoots.

http://www.turkeyshoot.net/

Good luck,
i_shoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 am 
Utility Grade

Ok, I took a peak at the choke and I saw where the shots I took from it was taking the new off of it. It looked like a thin layer of stuff coming off of it. So I took and cleaned the inside of the choke. Now its slick and shiney. So I'll try it again today when it warms up and see how it will do. Hopefully it will improve some if that has an effect on it. I also am getting up with some friends later and letting them try out the choke in their remington. Maybe it will work in someone elses gun and I can try out their choke and maybe we can trade if its a good combination for both.

Thanks for the welcome and comments!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 pm 
Utility Grade

My friend tried it in his 1187 and it did about the same pattern as my 870. His Kicks .655 does a pretty good job.