CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal IZH27 Extractor Problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A month ago I purchased a Baikal IZH27 O/U Now one month later, looks like I'll be without my shotgun for awile. :cry: I'm on my second outing with my IZH27 chasing quail and busting 'em left and right might I add, when somewhere along the line I lost the left extractor, spring, and plunger. I'm guessing it broke free somehow while I was breaking the action in the mist of hunting and I didn't notice it was gone till the next shot when the shell failed to extract. I ordered the extractor but being the rookie that I am, I did not know that a gunsmith has to fit it to the gun. I sent EAA Corp an email explaining the situation and they asked that I send the entire gun in and if I print and attach the email I sent that they wouldn't charge me. I'm just wondering if this should fall under the warranty and whether I should have to pay anything even without my email other than the shipping and insurance.

Moral to my story: Even though I like my Baikal, inevitably you'll get what you pay for. Have any of you Baikal owners or O/U owners for that matter, ever experienced an extractor popping off in the field? Anyone, anyone? [/b]

Last edited by MeandCoco on Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baikal IZH27 Extractor Problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

I've owned mine for a couple months and have approximately 1500 rounds through it. Before I bought it, I really researched it, and haven't heard of any problems with the extractors. When I bought mine, I switched from the default ejector to extractor with the two small black "screws"

Good luck,
DC Ross

ps. When you have a second, could you take a look at my post about the IZH threads? http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5077#95077

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dc ross,

I did a lot of research as well and never heard of the problem other than the fact that someone mentioned changing out the springs because they were so tensioned. Maybe it's an isolated incident.

I read your topic on the front bead size and I was looking for one as well. I might just buy the sight that snaps on the rib for the meantime. Hopefully, EAA will get my gun back to me soon, but I've heard stories about manufactures holding on to firearms for months on end.
:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

****crickets....****

So I'm having an isolated incident here? :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bump.... Am I alone in my problem?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

I did some research and have not found this issue before. a$$ EAA stated you should not be charged for this.

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
a$$ EAA

My feelings exactly. Seriously, I've sent it off and I'm looking foward to getting it back soon. Thanks for the reply Gordon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Must have hicccupppeddd. Kind of worked out ok for you though.

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got it back today and I have to take back anything negative I said about my Baikal. They did some fitting work on it or something but it breaks open much easier now. There was a note enclosed stating that they did a little extra fiiting (at the extractor) and that I should notice it right away. I'm very impressed. EAA had my gun less than 3 weeks, repaired it and sent it back before bird season. No need to fear any warranty work or customer service from EAA. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm very impressed. EAA had my gun less than 3 weeks, repaired it and sent it back before bird season. No need to fear any warranty work or customer service from EAA.

MeandCoco,

Thanks for letting us know how things went with EAA's service.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

:x I also own a baikal and 1st time I took it out after 2 rounds of skeet,the right ejector self destructed and I sent it to eaacorp.They recieved the gun on march the 16th.So far have not heard a word from them.I have sent them 3 e-mails and haven't recieved a reply.Have called then twice and not on a 800 line either.Both times the said let me switch you to the gun smith and there I sat for 10 minutes waiting for some one to pick up the phone.No one has.So.since the 16th I can't get a reply from them.I am going to try calling them again tomorrow and see if I can get some information.I think both the service and the gun sucks.If I ever get it back I will take it to a gun show and take the best offer I can get for it. sj :x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's sounds like a familiar story and I've been there. Was your extractor dislodged or did it actually break apart into pieces? I was a little pissed when it happened to me as well (middle of a quail hunt). But I wouldn't give up on it yet, as I learned to forgive my Baikal. I hope I'm not insulting your shotgun IQ but the extractors are fitted to the gun by a gunsmith so I would guess the extractor would perform only as well as it was fitted by the gunsmith at the factory. Mine wasn't hard to break open before I sent it to EAA but now it is really easy to break open.

I'm sure the majority of frustration comes from not having any communication with EAA. I sent mine off and the only interaction I had was thru an email I sent complaining of the malfunction. They responded and asked that I enclose a copy of the email and that it wouldn't cost me a cent. I did so with the thought that I may not see it again till after dove season. I was rather surprised to get it back so soon. After the fact I asked a local gunsmith about fitting an extractor and he quoted me a price $46.00 plus tax, provided I already had the part and I did. Had I known that beforehand, I might have just let him do the work for me. I hope everything works out for you.

Tim