CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg/Pederson/Aramberri shotguns sold by Mossberg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:13 pm 
Field Grade

I was hunting the web for Aramberri shotguns and came on this site, some one had wondered about Pederson/mossbergs back in Jan. I have a model 2500 s/s 12 gauge if any one is interested there was a great article on them in the June 1973 Gun World magazine there is a full color picture of all the models on the cover, the article is "Return to traditionalism" by Bob Zwirz. the s/s models were made by Antonio Aramberri who according to the article was a live pidgeon shooter the o/u's were by Beretta and there was a rifle also sold the prices in 1973 were 275 for the 2500 s/s field and went up from that with the highest o/u grade going for 970 the high grades in the picture were stocked with feather crotch walnut that you seldom see these days the model 3000 rifle went for 650 in the highest grade and looked like it was stocked with a rollover cheek piece like Fajen used to do. I think they quit the Pedeson brand sometime in 1975 the one I have is the only one I have ever seen Im just proud that I was able to hang on to the 73 Gun World mag until I was able to find one. The Beretta barreled actions were delivered in the white so Mossberg did the bluing and the stockwork in another building close to their main plant in Conn. Save all old gun magazines no matter how much room they take up, they are archives that you will go back to time after time. Old Dude

Post subject: re: Mossberg/Pederson/Aramberri shotguns sold by Mossberg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Old Dude,

Mossberg offered three grades of Pederson SxS's. Prices in ascending order were: 2500 Grade III $275.-, 2000 Grade II
$650.-, 2000 Grade I $970.-. I believe all of the above were built by one of the Aramberri firms.

There were three grades of Pederson over & unders. Prices in ascending order were: 1500...$400.- to $420.-, 1000 Grade III...
$500.- to $525.-, 1000 Grade II...$650.- to $675.-, 1000 Custom Grade...$970.-. The Series 1000 grades I, II and custom had Beretta actions and barrels.

The 1500 series had a completely different action than the Beretta. The photo and caption in the 1974 Gun Digest Annual showed a low profile frame but, did not state the type of action ( crossbolt, underlug or Boss ). As I recall it was made in Spain but, I'm not sure if it was built by Aramberri. My early 1970's Asociacion Armera directory lists the firms of Aramberri Hermanos, SRC and Hijos de V. Aramberri y Cia, S.A. as manufacturers of SxS boxlock shotguns but, does not list either firm as making over & under shotguns. However, it appears that
a number of Eibar gunmakers purchased actions and barrels or complete guns from other firms and rolled their names onto the barrels. Francicso Sarriugarte built a decent coil spring powered sidlock O/U during the 1980's. After the Sarriugarte brothers formed Armas Keman to produce a Boss actioned O/U, the identical photos of their coil spring sidelock O/U's appeared in the Vda Hijos De J.J. Sarasqueta and AYA catalogues bearing those manufacturers' names.

BTW, if you're looking for old gun catalogues, check out the Cornell Publications website, www.cornellpubs.com. They offer scanned and computer printed reprints of many old U.S. and European gunmakers' catalogues. They aren't factory originals but, they are decent quality, affordable and they have the same information as the originals.

doppleflinten

Post subject: re: Mossberg/Pederson/Aramberri shotguns sold by Mossberg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Tournament Grade

I've owned the 1500 O/U a couple of times and thought it a great gun. I couldn't get it out of my system, and still think of it as a very nice utility over under. It reminds me a bit of the Perazzi/Ithaca light game gun in appearance. The ones I owned both were marker Aramberri. They are heavy, that was my only complaint about them.

The 1000 series is a whole different gun. I don't know for sure if it is a Beretta action, but it sure looks like one. Really nice wood on them with an unusual pistol grip. Distinctive engraving, high gloss bluing. Nothing cheap about them, I just saw one at a gun show for $1k. Fondled it profusely, but didn't bite. Though for $1k, its a lot of gun with great fit an finish.