CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 48 Wood Plug??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 am 
Utility Grade

Inherited a Remington Sportsman 48. Started to have erratic ejection problems with trap loads. Worked perfectly sometimes, other times would not eject the shell. Tried all the friction ring tricks, and a new friction ring. Finally the gun jammed with the bolt back. Upon disassembling the bolt return spring tube found there is a wooden plug at the end of the spring (part 3).The plug had broken and pieces of the wood were wedged into the spring.

Why the heck is this plug wood? I could easily make an aluminum replacement. Part is cheep $1.55 from Numrich but postage makes it almost $10. It seems very strange to me a wooden part was used, does anyone know the reason? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Post subject: re: Remington 48 Wood Plug??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't answer for the original installer of the wood dowel. I have the plastic plugs but find it easier to put a #2 wood pencil in the magazine tube. Don't have to play with that strong magazine spring and it is easier to take out.

Social security and Medicare are running out of money, I am told. The welfare programs are not. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wooden plugs were common back then. My 1950 11-48 has a wooden dowel for a plug. I took it out because it rattled around. My early 1960's Browning Light 12 and Sweet 16 both have wooden plugs. Wood was cheaper than metal and since its not a stressed part, shouldn't break. I think yours is the only plug I've ever heard of breaking in the gun. The better question might be, "What did the previous owner do to the gun to break the plug inside?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 pm 
Utility Grade

The wooden plug was not in the magazine tube. It is in the rear end of the bolt spring tube. The spring tube in the stock. I ordered a new one and it is wood also.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's a new one on me. Does seem strange but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The wooden part is the action spring plug which captures the back end of the action spring limiting its travel length, caps the end of the spring tube, and acts as a guide for the spring which is compressed when the bolt opens.

Why wood? As mentioned it was cheaper than metal and was probably more resilient than plastic (of that day) for offering some shock absorption for the spring and follow that got slammed back every time the action cycled.