CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner of FN TPS needs advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

First off just wanted to say hello and I have really enjoyed and learned alot reading the forums here. You guyz have some REALLY cool shotguns. I have recently bought a fn tps and have some questions about aftermarkets parts and where to get them.So here goes...

1. I really dont like the collasible stock that came with it (kinda cheap for a shotgun that cost that much IMO). I intend to put some sort of optics on it (maybe a bushnell). I know mesa tact. makes some tubes for the stock but which do i need to use with optics,the low or leo tube??? After the right tube I can then pick whatever buttstock M4 style I want then right?

2.After the tube I understand someone make a good recoil reducing stock cant remember the name, can it be used with the mesa tubes???

3.Pleaserecommend a good pistol grip for the tps the stock one is crap...IMO :twisted:

Thanks In advance
Thanks for any suggestions ...

Post subject: re: New owner of FN TPS needs advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

The Mesa High tube adapter is designed for use with optics, and will be similar to the factory FN stock adapter.
The low tube adapter is designed for use with a bead.

Enidine makes a buffer tube called the Shot Shock, which will work with any of the true AR stock adapters (Mesa, Calvary, Brobee, Ace, ect.). Mesa sells it on their site, and in a package with their adapter and an M4 style stock. You can buy the shot shock by its self for $120, and any mil-spec AR stock will fit on it. Check out Magpul, Ace, Vltor, and LMT.

the pistol grip is meant for an AR, which means any AR pistol grip will work. Magpul, Ergo, Hogue, and Tango Down are good places to look.

Is the adapter its self low quality, or is it all the stuff that is bolted on to the adapter that is low quality? You probably would be just fine to buy a good quality stock, possibly a shot shock, and a good quality AR pistol grip.

And the most important part- post pictures when it's all done

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Tempest for the fast reply, the info was very helpful. Just to be sure I understand you right, if I got the mesa high tube I could use it with the Enidine shot shock and any M4 stock of my chosing...right??

The fn tps has iron sights from factory would they still be usable with the high tube ?? Or would the leo be a better compromise to accomodate both ??? I just want to get it right the first time, this stuff is pretty expensive...lol, but worth it.

You asked about the quality of the adapter and stuff, I guess it not that bad but considering a shottie that cost near 800$ I was expecting a little more on the stock and forend and pistol grip they just fell too plasticy for me. The machining and overall fit and finish of the gun is good and you can tell it will last a loooong time.

Thanks again and I will post some pics when finished..

Post subject: Re: New owner of FN TPS needs advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:32 am 
Field Grade

mghtythor wrote:
First off just wanted to say hello and I have really enjoyed and learned alot reading the forums here. You guyz have some REALLY cool shotguns. I have recently bought a fn tps and have some questions about aftermarkets parts and where to get them.So here goes...

1. I really dont like the collasible stock that came with it (kinda cheap for a shotgun that cost that much IMO). I intend to put some sort of optics on it (maybe a bushnell). I know mesa tact. makes some tubes for the stock but which do i need to use with optics,the low or leo tube??? After the right tube I can then pick whatever buttstock M4 style I want then right?

2.After the tube I understand someone make a good recoil reducing stock cant remember the name, can it be used with the mesa tubes???

3.Pleaserecommend a good pistol grip for the tps the stock one is crap...IMO :twisted:

Thanks In advance
Thanks for any suggestions ...

I have 2 1300s.

I had a Knoxx on one of them. Ended up taking it off and selling it and going back to the field stock.

Honestly, I think PG stocks are some of the most useless things you can do to a shotgun. Unless you are clearing a house, they serve no purpose.

I suggest trying it with the standard stock. I can promise you it wont look as cool, but thats not the issue.

Ill be the first to admit, a shotgun looks MEAN with a PG stock on it. But for the most part, thats all they are.

Post subject: Re: re: New owner of FN TPS needs advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

mghtythor wrote:

You asked about the quality of the adapter and stuff, I guess it not that bad but considering a shottie that cost near 800$ I was expecting a little more on the stock and forend and pistol grip they just fell too plasticy for me. The machining and overall fit and finish of the gun is good and you can tell it will last a loooong time.

Thanks again and I will post some pics when finished..

My point is that if the adapter (the chunk of aluminum that bolts to the rear of the receiver, and that the pistol grip and stock attach to) is high quality, and the problem is with the low quality pistol grip and stock, then there is no need to buy another adapter from Mesa, because the adapter that came with your gun does the same thing. Get the new buffer tube, stock, and pistol grip, and you should be good. As for a forend, I'd imagine that most any Winchester 1300 forend should fit.
Hogue would work pretty well, but if you wanted to go all out, check out surefire.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an FN TPS, (one of the very best pump shotguns i have had,2nd only to my Ithaca 37 that has been around longer than me)
The factory collasible stock is cheap. But any MilSpec stock body will fit the tube.
And just so you know upfront, The stock tube is solid,
not hollow like an AR 15 stock tube.
The pistol grip is a standard run of the mill A2 AR 15 grip,
You can replace it with any of the better grips made for an AR 15.
The adapter (the chunk of aluminum that bolts to the rear of the receiver, And that the pistol grip and stock attach to)
is high quality.. Right on par with the Messa high tube unit.

The TPS has AR 15 style sights and is already setup to put an optic on the rail.

I changed out the factory stock for an Ace skeleton stock, Swapped the A2 grip for a Ergo Ambi Grip,
Added a side saddle
And the C=More Halo sight. Perfect sight alignment as the iron sights line up perfectly with the red dot,
So the same cheekweld works no matter if using irons or red dot.
The only thing i am waiting for on mine now is the Surefire foward grip/light unit..
And a Magpul winter trigger guard..

ETA. If for some reason you do decide to swap out the factory adaptor,Please let me know as I'll gladly buy it from you.

Almost forgot...The pic...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice okcwizzard, btw nice clean set up it looks really good and practical too.

Just curious you think the eidine shock shot is worth the $$$?
If I went with that then all I would need is a M4 style buttstock right??

I have pretty much decided on a magpul pistol grip and maybe a magpul stock if I can find one....

Also if I went with a bushnell optic think it would work good with that setup as far as lining up with the factory sights??
I would like the eotech but the bushnell are alot cheaper and still good quality from what I hear.

Thanks for the pic

Post subject: Re: re: New owner of FN TPS needs advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

mghtythor wrote:
Thanks for the advice okcwizzard, btw nice clean set up it looks really good and practical too.

Just curious you think the eidine shock shot is worth the $$$?
If I went with that then all I would need is a M4 style buttstock right??

Not really sure if it would help with recoil or not,The recoil on mine isnt bad at all,Might be fun to try if you had one

I have pretty much decided on a magpul pistol grip and maybe a magpul stock if I can find one....

I think that would be a fine combo

Also if I went with a bushnell optic think it would work good with that setup as far as lining up with the factory sights??
I would like the eotech but the bushnell are alot cheaper and still good quality from what I hear.

The Bushnell would line up just fine with the FN TPS iron sights, As a matter of fact i tried one (A loaner) on mine, Just found a (too good to pass up) deal on the C-More

Thanks for the pic