It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro Arrizabalaga 28ga SLE, older gun?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, about 1yr ago I found a Arrizabalaga 28bore SLE in a small country gun shop. I also found a really nice french guild 16ga hammer gun in that same town. It is the last place you expect to find cool doubles, but it seems to produce from time to time. I bought it for a song, and it is a great little gun. He didn't know what he had, and the only reason I did was because a few years ago when I got into doubles I read the book Spanish Best. The wood is very plain, but the colors are great, and it is very tight. It has a little engraving around the borders, but not much. It is a pistol grip, semi beavertail forearm. I date the gun at 1962. It has no model number, and I can't seem to find out anything about it online. Doe's anyone have an older Arrizabalaga? I would like to know what model it is, ball park what it is worth? The locks are very well done, and the wood to metal fit is great. Stamped on the left side lock it says confederated arms. It has to be the importer name. One top of the barrels, and the reciever flat it says Pedro Arrizabalaga. In the picture I didn't have the lock plate tight so the lever is not where it should be. The pictures don't do the gun justice, but I'm no photographer.

Post subject: re: Pedro Arrizabalaga 28ga SLE, older gun?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

You should be able to date it by the marks on the water table.

See one of the stickies.

By the pistol grip and beavertail I'd say it was made for the American market.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

Post subject: re: Pedro Arrizabalaga 28ga SLE, older gun?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, the serial number puts it at 1962, but thats about all I can find.

Post subject: Re: Pedro Arrizabalaga 28ga SLE, older gun?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have looked, and called all over the country since the first post, and I can't find anyone that has a model 106 or 108 from the early 60's. I'm just putting this back up to see if someone new has an older Arrizabalga.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is just one of those older guns found few and far between. Enjoy your "one of a kind" gun.

If it still bugs you, I will take it off of your hands :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Chorizo tends to be somewhat stingy. I would offer you at least $200 for that gun. :lol: :lol:

You lucky dog!

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

benedict1 wrote:
Chorizo tends to be somewhat stingy. I would offer you at least $200 for that gun. :lol: :lol:

You lucky dog!

Just the Basco in me. Only one thing tighter than a Basco.............a Catalan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

Where did you find out that the gun is a Model 106? I don't see any previous mention of this model number in prior posts. I have an identical gun but with no importer or dealer markings. I am not familiar with the importer name your gun is stamped with. It may be a Canadian company. My 28 is a 1961 gun and I am as much in the dark about my gun as you are about yours. My gun is a classic bird gun with splinter forend and straight grip stock, checkered wood butt. The wood in my gun is nicely streaked Juglans Regia, not plain. The checkering is quite fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am 
Field Grade

My Pedro was made in 1961 but I can't tie it to any particular model number and it is dis-similar to the overall configuration of yours, and carries no importer marks. Interestingly I was looking at the flyer for Redding's Auction in Penn. this past weekend and noted a Pedro 28 bore SLE. The photos seemed to show a typical game gun but there was an almost complete lack of engraving save a tasteful border. It struck me as the plainest Pedro I've ever seen. I thought about calling in a low-ball bid to ensure that nobody stole it but after finding out Sat. that some of the local heavies were going up for the actual event (on Sun), I doubt it was a bargain and I don't really need a 28 either (I can shoot 3/4 oz from a 12 bore cheaper and as easily as a 28). Interesting gun though in that I hadn't seen that level of finish before.
If anyone has an old Pedro catalogue to describe the different models I would be interested in seeing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Guys,

Again, cataloging wasn't a strong feature of the Spanish gun industry.

Most Spanish guns are individually produced to the specifications of the buyer. A stock gun usually didn't exist and if it did it was only a figment of a marketer's imagination. Most guns produced were individuals within a general frame work of a gun with certain basic features.

A telling document is Arrieta's current list of options for each model of gun. It is a classic example of NOT needing a chart because every model can be had with every option and every block in the chart is thusly marked! http://www.arrietashotguns.com/

It is a cultural thing. It is a "blacksmith" industry. Each gun is piece made and can be had and is made with unique options to that gun.

To compare features within a model or to rely on a model number for any reason will drive you crazy and has no logical end.

About the only time they do so is to brand a pigeon gun or a specialty gun and even that only means it has a single special feature or combination of features, like AyA's model 56 or other makers XXV guns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

sidreilley wrote:
If anyone has an old Pedro catalogue to describe the different models I would be interested in seeing it.

sidreilley,

My 1983 P.A. catalogue shows a Model 106 very similar to the gun in the photo that Dongotto
posted two years ago but, there are some differences. The gun in the photo is a 28 gauge and has 7 pins on the lockplates and a thumbscrew for their removal while the picture of the Model 106 in the catalogue (printed from an actual photo, not a line drawing which was common in Basque gun catalogues of the era) has only 4 pins and no thumbscrew. The light border engraving is the same on both guns. The catalogue lists the Model 106 as being available in 12 gauge only and having an English grip stock, double Purdey underlocking lugs and a hidden third fastener. No mention is made as to whether the tang mounted safety is automatic or manual. The fact that other gauges were not catalogued for the 106 is no guarantee that they weren't produced. As Mitch has said, most Basque shotguns are produced according to the buyer's specifications, whether the buyer is a dealer/importer or an individual.

FWIW, the Model 106 was P.A.'s entry level gun and carried a price in 1983 of 44.870, pesetas F.O.B. Eibar or approximately US$349.-.

The most common feature of specific make and model Basque guns appears to be a distinctive engraving pattern, however, even that can vary in detail. While scroll and floral patterns are generally very similar, if not identical, within a given model run, those models with game scene engravings may show greater differences in detail according to the individual engraver's whims. Higher grades may offer the option of alternate "factory" patterns or whatever the customer wants and is willing to pay for.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

The assumption would be that the Model 106, pictured in the 1983 catalog with only four pins in the sidelocks, is somewhat lesser gun than the 28 gauge pictured in this thread. The quest for information continues. The gun Sid Reilly mentions wasn't a bad gun and the "heavy hitters" did not get their hands on it. I actually brought it home and plan to enjoy it. It is a very nice gun although I did not steal it. 26 1/2" barrels, 5 3/4 pounds, straight grip, checkered butt, mint condition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

lowgun wrote:
The assumption would be that the Model 106, pictured in the 1983 catalog with only four pins in the sidelocks, is a somewhat lesser gun than the 28 gauge pictured in this thread.

I suspect that the gunmakers of Eibar coined the statement, " Specifications are subject to change without notice.".

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am 
Field Grade

Lowgun - Glad the Pedro 28 went to a good home where it will be appreciated and used by one of the forum members. I didn't feel it was a bad gun, merely different then I have seen before. My lack of enthusiasm was more indicative of my need for a 28. Please post some photos of your new prize along with the specs. Reddings photos aren't quite as good as Alan's. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Sid, where are the heavies you refer to?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Sid, the Redding Pedro was also made in 1961 like yours. I still want to know who those heavy hitters are that you referred to. I went to buy a different gun than I finally bought, but I was seriously outbid by a heavy hitter who happens to be a friend of mine.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

I still own the "Model 106?" 28 gauge mentioned earlier. I would sure like to see a catalog offering for that gun from near the 1961 date of manufacture. Can anyone help? By the way, it is a 7 pin sidelock, detachable lever, third fastener. I shot 50 rounds out of it last week, tried to measure the chokes. My choke gauge will not fit in the muzzle, but the bores are a perfect .550. The left barrel choke must be real overkill. William Larkin Moore had one on his site a couple of years ago, identical to mine, 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Some of the older guns are not so hot as far as fit,finish and the internal. I have in the past had a number of these. But only the later guns.

If you compare a early gun to the laters guns you will clearly see it.

A number of years ago my friend told me about one at a Houston dealer. Priced cheap.
So I run down there and as soon as I see it, I knew it was an older one and priced asit should be. The quality was not there. I asked if I could take the locks off and no problem. The locks on the side were marked AYA.

John Boyd

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

John, my 1961 seven pin has wood to metal fit and metal to metal fit every bit as good as my Purdey. I think I had the locks off a few years ago, and the internals were beautiful. Moore sold his listed for $5000 a few years ago, and you couldn't touch mine for that price.