CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winchester super x model 1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

A friend is offering one of these guns to me for 500. Not sure what version. He said its like brand new. Depending on the model is that a good price?

Post subject: re: winchester super x model 1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes it could be a good price, get the particulars and serial # and post the info here and we can help.

RTA48

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Assuming the gun is really "like new",,,,

$500 is a steal for a true target model with deluxe wood, with either skeet or improved mod or full choke barrel. (We will tell you if you ask,,,,but if it's a deluxe SX1 you can usually tell just by the fancy wood. :wink: )

$500 is a fair price for any field model with any vent ribbed barrel. Modified is preferred, improved cylinder is ok, and full choke can be reamed out.

But, a gun with a plain, non vent ribbed barrel is a problem. The non vent barrels are not worth much, and a new vent rib barrel to cure the problem costs about $250.

The SX1 is something of a "cult" gun,,,,but five hundred bucks won't buy the cheapie Wall Mart version of the Beretta 391 with black plastic stocks.

An SX1 is, in my opinion, the absolute best, none finer, top of the drawer semi auto shotgun for breaking clay birds. I'm not alone thinking this. You can hunt with them, too, but they are heavy, you get 2 3/4 inch chambers only, and fixed chokes only. The long and short is that an SX1 is a clay buster and a dove gun.

Ten years from now, you'll forget what you paid this guy. The worst thing is that you'll think every other semi auto shotgun you own or ever will own is somehow a plastic and aluminum wannabe (except for an A-5 and a 20 gauge Model 50 Winchester,,,,only because Winchester didn't make any 20 gauge SX 1's. :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it says Winchester, it's overpriced.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

Jeff, I would agree with you on most Winchester products, BUT the Super X 1 is a different animal and usually they are very very good buys.

RTA48

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:26 am 
Field Grade

Best gas gun ever made, period. By leaps and bounds....a Model 12 without the shuck. Well worth the 1500 it'll cost you for a target grade gun with modern upgrades like new buffer and SS mag tube.

You might head over to Trapshooters.com and ask who has a target-grade gun for sale. Lotsa SX-1 lovers there.

Just try to avoid screwing with the original choke, as you'll fall in love with the patterns they produce.

Post subject: Re: re: winchester super x model 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marist89 wrote:

You must not know what a SX1 is. If you did, you could have never made such a ludicrous statement.

The SX1 is the finest semi-automatic shotgun ever made by anyone, ever. This is not an opinion, this is fact.

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:44 pm 

phil0411 wrote:
marist89 wrote:

You must not know what a SX1 is. If you did, you could have never made such a ludicrous statement.

The SX1 is the finest semi-automatic shotgun ever made by anyone, ever. This is not an opinion, this is fact.

Yeah, the SX-1 especially, Winchester lost money on every one that they made, thanks to the 1100 and Remington.
Still the SX-1 is the best automatic I have ever seen, owned or used. What a sweetheart, wish I had a dozen.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:51 pm 
Field Grade

we are in agreement phil0411, traded browning gold sporting for sx1 wouldn't trade back for 3 of them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

phil0411 wrote:

Okay, so where is all the data to back up this "fact"? Get serious; let's don't get overly high and mighty here. Your opinion is just that, and so is mine. I have handled and shot a Super X, and I didn't especially like it. And I dare say a whole lot of other people didn't accept the fact it was the best gas auto ever either. If you love it, great, enjoy it, but don't go calling it factually the best. Otherwise you and the I-talian gun lovers are gonna have to go two out of three falls - thirty minute time limit, to prove it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:43 pm 

Virginian wrote:
phil0411 wrote:

Okay, so where is all the data to back up this "fact"? Get serious; let's don't get overly high and mighty here. Your opinion is just that, and so is mine. I have handled and shot a Super X, and I didn't especially like it. And I dare say a whole lot of other people didn't accept the fact it was the best gas auto ever either. If you love it, great, enjoy it, but don't go calling it factually the best. Otherwise you and the I-talian gun lovers are gonna have to go two out of three falls - thirty minute time limit, to prove it. :D

Well, if we have a clubbing match with our favirite guns as clubs, I bet the SX-1's will outlast the others!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian,
I had a Super X-1 and let it go to my regret. That is o k.. I grew up in a Browning family(I am now 68 yrs old)and have moved over to the Beretta family of O/U's and could not be happier. So much for I-talian guns! By the way this list of guns did not include a list of other good quality shotguns I own or have owned over the years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:00 pm 
Field Grade

Friendliest forum on the net, eh?

Bye.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
phil0411 wrote:

Okay, so I might have been a little strong in my opinion but I am certainly not alone as you can see by other posts in this thread. There are some fine Italian Semi's out there, and I have owned a few. Well made guns with a lot of faithful followers. I wasn't arguing that at all. I never said they were bad guns, in fact, I never even brought them into the fray.

For the fact or facts I was referring to the The Super X model 1 is:

1. Other than the wood, this gun is ALL steel. There is no plastic anywhere, not even the follower. It does make it about a pound or two more than other semi's but who here isn't carrying a couple extra pounds anyway? :wink:

2. NO stamped steel internal parts. Everything is machined and that makes an extremely strong shotgun.

3: Very close tolerances. Machining makes for great fitment.

4. Balance and handling are superb.

Back in the 70's, the SX1 was trying to compete with a tried and true design, the Remington 1100. I love the 1100 and own three of them right now. The problem the SX1 had back then is the same problem it would have today, if it were still made. It was and would be expensive in comparison to the competition. Machining was and is expensive. If it were made today with the same quality, it would cost in the thousands to build and sell. Because of it's price point, a lot of buyers never even considered the SX1. They never shot one or had one apart to see what makes it tick. That was it's downfall then and it would be today.

That being said, if you have had one or shot one and didn't like it, that fine with me, it just means there's one more available for me to find!

Here a good article for those with more interest in finding out what the SX1 really is all about. http://www.clayshootingusa.com/readers/ ... rMagic.pdf

For those that haven't seen one, here is my skeet model. I paid about 1/2 as much as my 391 cost me. I have since sold my 391 and bought two more SX1s. :D

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a little voice in the back of my head telling me that I should keep my mouth shut and stay out of this argument - but I rarely listen to the voices in my head, so ............

As you can tell from my signature, I am a Beretta man. At last count I had 9 1/2 Beretta semiautomatics, and almost enough spare parts to build a couple more. In spite of that, I will admit that the Winchester SX-1 is an extremely well-made gun, one of the very best. I would put a Beretta 303 up against an SX-1 in the "best semiauto" competition, but I wouldn't bet on a 391.

But - that's a big but - the SX-1 is one of the best only if you like heavy guns. If you don't, it isn't. The weight was probably a major contributing factor in its failure to achieve commercial success. A lot of hunters - most of them - want a lighter gun, and so do a lot of target shooters. If you choose a light gun like a Beretta, it is easy to add weight, but if you choose a heavy one there is nothing you can do to lighten it.

The first semiautomatic shotgun I ever owned was an SX-1. I took it out to the club and shot a round of 5-stand and took it right back to the dealer to trade it in on a Beretta. I just couldn't hit squat with that slug of a gun. I had to fight it on every shot, trying to make it go where I wanted it to go. Took the Beretta out to the 5-stand the same day and experienced an epiphany. I smashed almost every target with ease - the Beretta seemed to point itself at the targets - I simply looked at the target and the Beretta smoked it.

So the bottom line is, the SX-1 is a great gun, perhaps the best in the "heavy" category, but it is certainly not the best overall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was not questioning anything about the Super X but the "best" categorization. We all have our own way of measuring things. The fact that a gun contains plastic, or alloy, or stamped parts versus all steel and machined parts doesn't do a thing plus or minus for me. I fully realize that for a lot of people machining and such is a big plus. We are all different. What looks good, works good, and feels right to me is all that matters to me.
I would take a Remington Wingmaster over a Winchester Model 12 every time. I did not say the Wingmaster was better, I said I would choose it - in fact I did many years ago. #1 - I can shoot one better. Also, If the Remington ever does break any part, I can get a new one and drop it in myself, and it doesn't need any hand fitting. I see that as a plus, not a minus. Another guy considers the skill and handwork that went into the gun as a major consideration. I am much more swayed by the design side.
In the end, all that matters is that hopefully we all love shotgunning in one form or another. Except for the I-talian gun lovers. They're just wrong! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
Except for the I-talian gun lovers. They're just wrong! :D

Hey, I resemble that remark!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Well I'm not fortunate enough to own a super x1, but I do know they are an excellent gun. My Winchester shotgun is a Ted Williams 300 (winchester 1400). This gun was purchased filthy but cheap. It cleaned up real nice and never misses a beat when shooting trap or birds. Its unbelievably light, attractive (by todays standards) and has almost no recoil. If this gun, considered one of Winchesters worst guns, is so good, imagine how good the super x1 (considered their best semi auto) is.

By the way I think the Browning auto 5 is the best semi auto out there (far better than its over priced, short recoil, competitor the Benelli is). But thats for another thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As to the Model 1400,,,,I've owned several. If anything, they equal or perhaps exceed the ability to dampen felt recoil the Super X Model One possesses. If you consider how much lighter the 1400's are, then it's all that much more of a wonderment. :wink:

If you didn't pound the thing to death shooting clay birds by the tens of thousands, I think a Model 1400 would make an even better "field gun" than a Super X. A Super X is heavy, real heavy, to carry all day.

A Super X is pretty, and made of good heavy machined steel parts. But what makes it beautiful is the way it shoots, points, handles, lasts, never misses a beat, and the ability to clean it competely in less than five minutes. No other semi auto target gun is ever, ever going to come close.

If my sons and I are ever going to spend any "real money" for an auto shotgun for clay birds, it's going to be for another Super X. For what a Technys 391 or Bennelli SS costs, you could assemble the "World's Finest Super X", and have some serious change left over for ammo. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Quantifying the "Best Semi-Auto Shotgun" is quite relative to each of us and dependent on our personal likes, dislikes and needs.........

However, if one is to use as a measureing stick... against todays standards and Semi-Autos on the market for todays Prices ......

Considering the following:

Manufacturing methods, Materials, Design, Innovation, Quality Control, and Selling Price ...

then The Winchester Super X Model 1 stands alone in the Best catagory.

At least that is my 2c worth...