CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiocchi 28 Ga Reloads
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I need some help from the experts...

I have a good supply of Fiocchi 28 ga target load hulls and want to reload them for small bore events.

I am looking for reloading data for these hulls. Can data for most straight wall hulls like Federal be used? I would like to go with 20/28 powder or perhaps Universal.

Anyone with experience out there to help me?

Post subject: re: Fiocchi 28 Ga Reloads
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use the Federal data.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am by far not an expert, and this will spool the (by the book) experts up to the moon, as I have reloaded the Fiocchi 28 gauge hull to the same load as given for the WW compression formed hull. Fiocchi hull, Win 209, 13 gr. Universal. WAA28 or CB clone (pink) wad. Shoot the same as the WW or Remington hull as they get the same powder, wad combo. I would wager to say I have stuffed 13 grains of powder in about every 28 gauge hull known to man. But to add the disclamer I must include that you never do this as it could cause harm to both you and your shooting pals should things go bad wrong.

I live on the side of bad wrong. Some drive the safe way home, some take the mountain road.

TM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:08 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have spent some time with these and load them like Federals; I recomend the CB 5034 HS wad rather than the Red Duster or AA CF clones as the Fiocchi's are straight walled hulls. The CB 5034 HS will be a much better fit. I find that they need a full 3/4 oz of shot to crimp well - most MEC bars drop light.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I don't like the danged things. I have some Italian made see through green ones that are better than the more recent red ones, but not much. They stick in my tubes, and the red ones are only good for a load or two max. Any load you can find for a Federal or Cheddite hull will be fine.

Tin Man, the practice you have developed by loading them like the Compression formed AAs will be fine, in fact they will be a little anemic. I load all my Cheddite and Federal hulls the same as I load my Remington and Winchester AAHSs. Less powder by a grain or so can't be too hard on things! Yes, I do have published data for those combinations and indeed AA hulls take less powder, especially the compression formed ones. The HS run very near what the Federal and Cheddites do, but "never more!" (E. A. Poe) :roll: I used to scrounge all the 28 ga hulls I could find. I once picked up 150 Fiocchi hulls right after the guy finished shooting them on 5-stand. Worst hull I've ever run across. He told me so, that's why he wasn't picking them up himself. If I were loading them, I'd use a Federal or Gualandi wad.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

"The 28 Gauge Manuel 2nd edition" from BPI has about 40 different loads for 2.75" Fiocchi hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have loaded quite a few Fiocchi 28's.
Best luck has been with a little over 13gr of Unique and CB 5034HSA wads, Fiocchi primers and 3/4oz shot.
Unique gives me better crimps than the more dense 2028.
2028 works fine , I just like Unique's crimp better.