CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Effective range 20 ga Turkey Load?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anyone have experience with a commercial 20 ga Turkey Load?

Remington has a Nitro load, 20 ga 3" 1 1/4 oz #5 shot

What would be the outside range on that load?

The other loads [12 ga] end at either
40 to 50 yards, but they have either 1 5/8 oz or 1 3/4 oz of

Remington Hevi-Shot or Winchester High Density Shot

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

Post subject: re: Effective range 20 ga Turkey Load?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:00 am 
Presentation Grade

For the load you mentioned it would be the distance that it can put at least 4 pellet strikes (every time) in the skull and neck bone of a turkey target.

I would guess that load of #5 lead might get you to 40 yards but probaly 30-35 yards would be more likely before you run out of pattern density. Those #5 lead pellets will still be carrying plenty of energy at that distance.

The probelm with the 20ga is maintaining pattern density. That said, I would probably use #6 lead in that load to improve pattern density and take it to the pattern board. I don't think it should be used beyond about 35 yards either since the #6 lead pellet energy will be running low beyond that distance. I know some say #6 lead will kill'em at 50 yards, but I don't think they are a reliable pellet outside of about 35 yards and I don't want any cripples when it comes to turkeys.

One of the tungsten-based pellets you mentioned (Rem HD or Win HD) would help with patten density and pellet energy. A #6 tungsten-based (12g/cc) will have about he same energy as a #5 lead and improve your pellet count in the shell and probably in the pattern. If they pattern good you may be able to strech them to 40 yards, but remember to try them at the pattern board first.

So, I really think it is best to hold your shots to 30-35 yards max. for the 20ga 3" unless you have some really supper-dupper tuned-up rig. Heck, for me turkey hunting is about getting them close (<30 yards) where they are all dead if I do my part, but I too like having loads capable of handling a longer shot just in case.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

//

Quote:
Heck, for me turkey hunting is about getting them close (<30 yards) where they are all dead if I do my part, but I too like having loads capable of handling a longer shot just in case. ----Joe Hunter

Ah then, you have lived the dream!

Not only will I be a novice turkey hunter, the 20 gauge loads will be for the 2 ladies in the family, and they are both novices too. So, I have to get educated quick in 3 1/2 months and get the ladies trained too!

Thanks for the input Joe Hunter

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

I started my son out on a 20ga and he killed a dozen or so with it before he got older and thought he wanted something bigger.

I can't stress enough how important it is for you to pattern your load and choke to determine the max. range for the combo you are using and then don't take any shots beyond that range! It does take time and effort, but it is the only way to know what your load and choke will do. If all else fails, let them get close (<30 yards) where your load and choke are less critical.

For novice hunters I have one other suggestion. Have them shoot some turkey head and neck tagets with the gun you intend to have them shoot from a sitting position. For this, don't use the heavy turkey loads just get the cheapest lightest load you can get (2 3/4" 7/8 oz) to hold down cost and recoil and have them shoot some targets at 20 and 30 yards. Its fun and they will learn about their sight picture (mid-neck hold) and where the gun puts the pattern.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

calisto; I agree with joe hunter, it is paramount to pattern your gun. I suggest shooting at a piece of paper at least 36"x36". After shooting make a 10" circle around the densest portion of your pattern, and then adjust your sights to the center of that circle.
If I may suggest if you are not happy with the pattern you are receiving with the Remington Nitro load take a look at either the Hevi-13 3" #6 20ga load or the Winchester Xtended Range 3" #5 20ga load. I have found both to pattern a bit better than standard lead loads with the Hevi-13 generally patterning a bit better than the Winchester (probably due to higher pellet count).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

For the Remington Nitro load in #5s 32yds +/-
In a #6 h-13 40yards with a 555 choke or 570 maybe.

Nitro #7 shot 45-50 yards using any 555 choke. These shells
will put 190-220 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. This is a commercial load. A 4x5x7 isn't a bad choice either.

I prefer #6 shot in the 20 gauge and any good lead shell will do well at 30 yards in a 570 choke. I also feel better about having a heavier than lead load in the 20. Winchester Supreme Elite HD is only in #5 but a great hunting load. Federal is out with a Heavyweight load ( 1.5 oz. load of #7 shot @ 15 g/cc).

They make a TSS load and #8/#9 shot is like #3and #4 lead.
There is a Tungsten Super Shot site , 18 g/cc. Lead is 11 g/cc.
These shot hold tight patterns and retain energy very well.

You can have a 20 gauge shooting just as deadly a pattern and just as far as a 12 gauge 3" magnum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:28 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I hunted with a guy for several years that used a 20ga Browning A5 Lightweight. The gun was his pride and joy and a gift from is wife of 50+ years. He never missed with that gun shooting #6 Super-X factory lead ammo from his fixed choke, full choked, 28" barrel.

Oh, did I mention that he was the Florida tiukey calling champion for several ( I think 5 ) years?

IMHO, don't worry as much about special chokes, etc., just pattern your gun and learn how to hunt the turkey.