CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rabbit hunting alone stinks HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

I am getting worn thin dudes. Maybe ya'll can help get me on track.

As it turns out, I love hunting Rabbits. The walk in the woods or brush, the surprise when you jump one, and the fast shooting make it an absolute treat for me.

That said, I go with buddies every chance I get, but more often than not, I am going alone and I don't have a dog.

So here's how I do it. I have a couple farmer buddies with some decent property. There are bunnies there, he sees em all the time, and I will see tracks in the snow, or just know by the area that they are there. There are a few areas that are loaded with cover, close to a field of corn, soybean, or grass. Sounds like excellent rabbit hunting right?

I find there are a few techniques to rabbit hunting.
1. Hit brush piles like a snow plow. I have yet to produce a rabbit by doing this.
2. go through the thick stuf and flush em out. Well, I figure they hear me coming long before I get there and they are gone without being noticed.
3. Wander aimlessly and hope one is stupid enough to be surprised by me.
4. Walk, stop, walk, stop.....

#3 is the only one that works for me, but latley that ain't even workin. I have yet to see a rabbit this year. I take that back, I saw one but didn't get ready to shoot in time.

If I go join my uncle whom uses a beagle, we are almost guaranteed to see rabbits.

So what do you think? I am getting to the point where I'd like to see a rabbit for all the hunting I'm doing. I know they are sneaky, but dang.

Post subject: re: Rabbit hunting alone stinks HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I was a kid I hunted without dogs, but seldom did I have snow. I tried to pattern the rabbits I jumped. What cover during what conditions and concentrate thusly. Young pines with lots of straw in cold weather, bunnies being backed up to the trees. Warmer weather, fern patches or ground briars were good.

Try hunting very slowly in good cover. Walk 3-5 steps and stop, for a couple of minutes, then move. All animals tend to sit tight as long as they hear you, know where you are. When you stop and they can't track you, they get nervous and bolt. 8)

Dogs are best and beagles are great rabbit dogs but others, that have some hunting instinct, are better than none. Labs, spaniels and even curr dogs will put them up for you and cottontails will almost always return to the point of jump. :roll:

Good luck and happy hunt'n! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

My Nephew and I like to pick a nice day after a day or two of poor weather to rabbit hunt. Last Tuesday, after a nasty Sunday and Monday, we had a great day of rabbit hunting. We got these 7 rabbits in about 90 minutes on the first stop. Here in our area of NW Ohio the rabbits seem to be concentrated in small areas. Brush piles are hot spots for us and three of these bunnies came from one big pile. My Nephew likes me to shake the brush while on the ready. We also do little pushes to one another to try and trick the rabbits.
Doug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Believe it or not, spotting and stalking works on rabbits. Sunny hill sides on cold days are great places to start.

When I go now, I'll take a beagle with me. I don't start hunting until around 9 or so. It's usually warmer and sleeping in once in awhile is nice.

Rabbit hunting is kinda like bird hunting for me. It's meant to be a social event. Get a couple of guys together and have at it!

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:26 am 
Field Grade

Thanks guys. I'll give er a go. Your right though, I need more people!

dblauto: Dang! 90 minutes for all them rabbits? Sounds like I need a beagle and a new place to hunt!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

NoMoore,
Yep 90 minutes with NO dog, my Nephew tells ME to bark now and then. That was a special day, not the norm. We were out this past Tuesday and walked for 5 hours and saw 7, only getting 3 of them in a different spot. Most of the farmers tell me that the weather conditions were just right for rabbit production this year.
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
So what do you think?

Springer!! :lol:

Dem dawgs is what rabbits is made for.

Eug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 am 
Crown Grade

i`ve just ambushed them in high cover, or hide shoot them with airgun.

shame you guys cant ferret. its not unheard of to shoot 50+ a day. at one point my barrels got really hot. the guy i went with is very experienced. he knew where they were going to run and set up nice quatering away, right to left shots. didnt miss a beat, shooting in as a team when the other guy is reloading. (or having a cuppa,food / sitdown etc)

made the farmer slightly happyer.
although he did complain about "wwIII over yonder" i missed about 5 times the most, with 20-25 kills.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 am 
Limited Edition

Just tell yourself you are quail hunting. We see dozens of rabbits while quail hunting. We usually see more rabbits than quail lately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

No problems here in Arizona... Load up the Uhaul and move on out here... Great weather too !

Look at the size of these alfalfa fed cottontails:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Nice wabbits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

There's more than one way to skin a wabbit!

There are in fact many ways to enjoy huntin' wabbits. One is to hunt along creek banks or river banks especially if there has been some type of crop grown and harvested in the nearby fields. All summer and early fall there's plenty of cover in the soy beans, corn or whatever growing, then it's all removed and there is just cover along fencerows, creek and river banks. All the rabbits are then concentrated in the only available cover.

Hopefully the farmers don't practice clean farming and leave a little cover along fencerows and creek banks. If you don't have that kind of cover just locate the thickest brambles of briars and low cover you can find in the area. Stomp on every piece of brush or blowdown that looks like it will hide a mouse. Rabbits can hide in the smallest of cover and remain unseen by most folk! Any thing from a tuff or grass, briar bush, to a fallen tree or pile of tree tops are great places to find bunnies.

Of course the most fun is with others and the merry little hounds (beagles) they make a good day in the woods a great day. A friend and I hunted for 4.5 hours yesterday and had non-stop action the limit here is 5 a piece or we could've kept huntin' for a couple more hours.

I'm the big guy with the flintlock 12 bore. I've been hunting rabbits for over 45 years with and without dogs! The main thing is keep after em!

~HF~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I sure enjoyed your post, Huntinfool; good pictures, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, Thank You lossking we are going again tomorrow. I don't hope to have anywhere near that good of a hunt.

That's why it's called huntin' why if we had that kind of success every time we went it would soon lose interest ...
Ehh I doubt it!LOL!

We do good down there year after year!

~HF~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't hunt alone but even with my cousin, we cant get them to come out. It sucks.

M.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
we cant get them to come out

You and coz should buy a Springer or a Cocker from working lines; they'll find rabbits for you .... and then some.

Failing that just a quiet stalk up the hedge lines and fences with a .22 on a warm evening will put some in the pot.

Nil Desperandum!

Eug

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I think the American Beagle is probably your best bet for here in the colonies!

No offence Eugene but it's really hard to find Cockers or Springers here in the states (from good hunting bloodlines).

Plus the Beagles can do all and more of what the Spaniels do and they are much more easily obtained.

~HF~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:28 am 
Crown Grade

I was kicking up rabbits for some time before i got my beagle. Let me tell you there are rabbits everywhere ! your walking right by them! or they are flushing just infront of you and you don't see them.

just pop rabbit hunting tips into google you'll find tons of stuff.

you got it right . Kick the brush, get in there! get some brush pants. The thicker the better.

be quite on your approach to the brush pile or whatever you think is holding the rabbits. Then kick the heck out of it.

stop go stop go , it totaly works ! stopping for longer can help like a solid 1 minute and be ready !

hunt when its cold, just before and just after a storm. Don't bother hunting when its super windy they will be holding super tight to cover or in their hole.

THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT THING IS DON'T EVER GIVE UP! Hunting is about the hunt not the kill and any day outside get some excercise is a good one, I will admit its a better one with a sack of dead rabbits though lol.

walking up rabbits its super hard. It took me 3 days walking dawn till dusk till I got 1. my first jack took me 5 days in freezing cold february weather and I got frost bite on my hands cuz i misplaced my gloves and it was 16 degrees. Man, is wood and steel cold !I had almost given up and went home I started to drive off and had to go pee and noticed soooo much rabbit droppings I had to try it one last time and sure enough I got 1!

Just get a beagle. you can get a good gundog for 300 bucks. Don't be intimidated about training etc . All you have to do is train it to come back to u and keep taking it out . Shoot one let the dog smell it turn the dog loose.they are programmed to be rabbit crazy..without a dog its almost impossible . with a dog I see a rabbit every time in almost every place i try hunting, it is unbelievable. they are there you just don't know it. get on american beagler forums someone can hook you up with a kennel.

shoot all the coyotes and predators you possibly can in the area you hunt it will help.

good luck !

closeing day this year and first day hunting with ithaca. dog was tired and wet from the deep snow.

the first rabbit my beagle circled

my first jack

rabbit population managment means predator management. Every serious rabbit hunter should be a serious predator hunter too. a coyote can eat 150 rabbits a year.

Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting alone stinks HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:47 am 
Field Grade

Its almost that time again! Rabbit starts here on the 24th. I got my license today and I am ready to go.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Throughout the summer I have seen a bazillion rabbits, I think they had a good year. Everytime I go out to get in my truck they run out from underneath!

Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting alone stinks HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are in PA there is a guy that goes by joeyman at american beagler. He can hook you up with a serious rabbit dog for sure. I'm willing to bet if you split the gas he will also take you out with his pack. He has pictures with limits of rabbits all the time. He's also on huntingboards.com.

Last edited by stockranger on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.