CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M. Ugarteburu 16. GA. Made in Spain
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
Utility Grade

im looking to research this SxS 16 Ga. shotgun with intricate engravings, i cant seem to find anything on google or any for sale, it was handed down to me by my father who passed and i would like some history behind it. It was Spanish made with M. Ugarteburu, Made in Spain on the barrel. the engravings on the side have a flying duck on both sides. I think the serial may be MU 37461. if anyone could help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Davin :?:

Post subject: re: M. Ugarteburu 16. GA. Made in Spain
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Davin,

You have a Martin Ugarteburu shotgun.

Ugarteburu made both sidelock and boxlock type side by sides.

Ugarteburu was a smaller Basque maker that entered into the ill fated DIARM experiment of the 1980's. When DIARM dissolved Ugarteburu (and many other small makers) was gone for good.

In the book "Spanish Best" by Terry Wieland it is noted that Martin Ugarteburu made some very high quality shotguns and that most of their guns were never seen outside of Spain.

If you look on the barrel flats you can find the proof code. It will be in the form of a single letter or a letter followed by the number 1 or 2.

Post that code here and we can see what year your gun was made.

Chances are pretty good that your Dad left you a real nice shotgun.

Bryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Bryan,

First off i would like to thank you for the speedy response, and can i ask where you found this information so fast, i searched for almost 2 hours online looking for his name, all i could come up with was the type codes in a few manuals and region codes. The info that you asked for is "F 1". There are also three symbols a crescent shield with what looks like an med evil gladiators helmet on top with a x inside. two crossed cannons and another shield with what looks like an "sp" or "hp" on top of a oblong circle. 850 kgs follows the symbols. Also how can i tell if it is a sidelock or boxlock?

Thanks again,

Davin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Davin,

Happy to help.

The date code is for 1960. That's when your double was made.

I got my information from the book "Spanish Best" by author Terry Wieland. It is available in a second edition on the new and used book market. It is the "bible" for devotee's of the Spanish side by side shotgun. I recommend it highly.

How to tell a sidelock from a boxlock? If I were more computer savvy I'd post pic's of the two action types. But I'm a computer moron and don't know how to post pic's. I'll try to describe the visual difference.

On a boxlock, the part of the stock that meets the back of the action does so in a straight line or a line that has curves in it called scallops. The internal parts of the action are enclosed in an action that resembles a box.

On a sidelock, the part of the stock that meets the back of the action does so with curved fingers of wood. These fingers surround the back of an oval shaped "lock plate". This plate on the inside contains the internal parts of the action. On a real high grade sidelock, there may be an external lever that allows you to remove the lock plates by turning the lever like a thumb screw.

As an easy reference, google search AYA shotguns. The model 453 is a boxlock, the No. 2 & No. 1 are sidelocks. As you can see the difference is very apparent once you know what to look for.

Please post pic's if you can in the spanish gun section of this board. I'm sure that all of us Spanish gun nuts would like to see an Ugarteburu side by side from 1960.

Take care,

Bryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am 
Utility Grade

Bryan,
Thank you very much for all of the information I will post some pictures once I cl
ean it up a bit its a little dusty. I did have one more question for you. Would you know where I could find the value, it has more sentimental value than anything you could put numbers to,but it would be
Nice to know.

Davin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Davin,

I'd need to see pictures and even then it would be just a guess.

I would base my estimate on the current crop of Spanish doubles.

I'd try to compare the level of craftsmanship on your gun to the current guns.

Bryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Bryan,

here are some pictures i will also make a post in the spanish forum with pictures and info that you have provided me with, thank you again.

[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1296.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1302.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1304.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1306.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1308.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1310.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1319.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1323.jpg[/img]
[img][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/shelenechic/DSCN1325.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Davin,

First off it is a boxlock.

It has some features that make for a nice gun.

Prince of wales grip paired with a splinter forend.

Sideclips (the angled piece of metal that comes out from the top of the action on the left and right side. It matches a bevel on the outside edge of the barrels).

Purdey style double underbolt system paired with a Greener style crossbolt. The reason I say Greener style is because this bolt is square. A true Greener crossbolt is a round pin, not a square.

Case colors look real nice for the guns age.

The engraving is pretty nice. I really like the way the fences are done. The ducks don't look that realistic, but I've seen some high grade Parkers that didn't have their ducks look any better.

The gun has certainly been used. That's great. That's how it's supposed to be.

If you refinish the stock it would really look nice. On the other hand you just might want to keep all those little nicks and scratches just as they are. Good honest wear.

I'd venture to say that this was a low to mid grade gun meant to compete with the guns made by Victor Sarasqueta.

Probably worth $500.00 to $650.00

Clean her up and take her hunting.....

Bryan

Post subject: Re: M. Ugarteburu 16. GA. Made in Spain
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
The reason I say Greener style is because this bolt is square.
The square bolt is called a "Scott's crossbolt"...

Post subject: Re: M. Ugarteburu 16. GA. Made in Spain
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Made with a plain extractor ILO selective ejectors, I would place it's value @ more like $350-$400.