CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what choke for pheasants
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:05 am 
Field Grade

what choke do you guys use for pheasants? what is generally the best choke to use? im either using improved cylinder or modified. which one?

Post subject: re: what choke for pheasants
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It depends! Depends on which gun I'm shooting and how that gun patterns at roughly 30 yards. Some have a better pattern with I/C, some Mod. Set up a pattern board (or cardboard box if nothing else) and shoot your favorite load at your normal pheasant distance and see which choke gives you the best pattern. My 28 gauge actually patterns best with skeet choke at 25-30 yards but that's pretty unusual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:49 am 
Field Grade

I gotta' agree with jandat, you need to pattern the chokes you have at the ranges you normaly shoot. You will also be able to determine how even or spotty your pattern is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:58 am 
Field Grade

its also gonna depend on the pheasants, if they are holding tite and getting up at your feet you may not want a full choke. thats why i like the double guns. lets me select a variety of options by placing the shells i like in the chokes i like. all with the flip of a switch or the selection of a trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 am 
Field Grade

i use a beretta 391 urika 2 parallel target sl and am reffering the late season hunting, rest of this season.

Post subject: Re: re: what choke for pheasants
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:18 am 
Crown Grade

KoRnBoy wrote:
i use a beretta 391 urika 2 parallel target sl and am reffering the late season hunting, rest of this season.

You know KoRnBoy, you really have to pattern your gun with the loads you plan to use.

And if you are shooting at pharm phez with dogs, how long after a flush are you willing to wait until you shoot?

Use your modified choke. If the first pheasant gets torn up, wait a little longer next flush.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 am 
Presentation Grade

KORNBOY what gauge and oz, shot are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Improved Cylinder in my 12 gauge Mossberg 500, and brought them down at distance with no problem. This was with #4 Shot, 1 1/4 oz load.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to be one of those guys that switched his chokes like underwear. :shock: Now don't you laugh. I am sure there are a few others on here that were just like me. I used to lose sleep at night thinking about what choke to shoot the next day. 99.9 % of my hunting is wild birds so there really are a lot of variations that can happen. Well two years ago I forgot to put my IC in my 135 for doves. :shock: Since that day I have only shot a modified in the 135 and 835. Ducks, Geese, Grouse, Doves, Quail and most of all Pheasants are all shot with modified chokes in my guns. I stick to the same choke which makes it easier on me knowing what the pattern looks like. I may or may not switch to a little higher power load here and there but will leave the modified in the gun.

The only full choke I use now is for turkeys and this fall I forgot it and shot my 4 birds with a modified using 2 3/4 #4. The jelly head affect at 35 yards was more then enough to convince me it did the job.

So pattern your chokes and see which one you like the best and stick to it. WARNING - modified chokes and doves at 8 yards are a graphic site! Let the bird get out a bit before pulling the trigger. ;) Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hunt hard, Hunt safe and take a kid with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I rarely ever use anything but my IC. I may put the Mod in but rarely.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

i was out hunting today and a rooster got up about 25 yards in front of me and i shot three times and missed al three times. i must have been hitting it though because after each shot i saw a cloud of feathers fly off its a$$. im using winchester super pheasant shells with a velocity of 1300 #5 shot size and 1 1/4 oz lead and remington pheasant loads with a velocity of 1330 #6 size shot and 1 3/8 oz lead. i guess ill have to use mod from now on, idk whats wrong with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot the tail, nothing in the pale......shoot the head watch them fall dead. ;)

Hunt hard, Hunt safe and take a kid with you.

Post subject: Re: re: what choke for pheasants
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:59 am 
Field Grade

gbottger wrote:
Shoot the tail, nothing in the pale......shoot the head watch them fall dead. ;)

i guess i dont really focus on shooting the head, i pretty much just pull my gun up and point at the big red bowling pin with flapping wings and a tail in the air and pull the trigger. pretty much just aim at the biggest part of the bird i guess idk. maybe i need to work on that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Focus on the white ring around their neck. If you are just shooting center mass you wonb't do as well since it's really easy to focus on the long old tail.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have not shot a lot of pheasants but I have shot them, wild and released, in California and Washington mostly. Most of my pheasant hunting was done with a Savage 311 12 ga, Imp Cyl and Modified, with Remington Express Mag-1 1/2-6c. Having the choice of 2 chokes at my fingertip gave me great confidence that I could shoot the foot busters and the run-and-jumpers too. I have always been a firm believer that the more shot I had in the air the better my chances were of hitting something. :wink:

Extra choke tubes in my pocket or twisting a Poly Choke tighter, I have always liked the flexibility of being able to change chokes in the field. :D