CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High dollar shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

Most registered shoots, be it ATA or NSSA you'll see a variety of high dolalr shotguns, I don't own one now, but I'm thinking heavily on getting one. If you own one now (or have) when did you cross the line into the super high dollar shotguns, and if you have had the opportunity but passed is there a reason why other than the price? I'm looking at buying a Kolar, or a Perazzi by the end of the year, any thoughts?

Dave Wilson

Post subject: Re: High dollar shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Though I don't own or have the money for one :oops: I have shot quite a few Perazzi's. They felt kind of odd because they weren't fitted to me, but the balance was perfect and they seemed chased targets by themselves :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When you say high dollar, are you talking about the "standard" $8000 (approx) guns from Kolar, etc. or do you mean REALLY high dollar guns with all the pretty gold? :mrgreen:

Mark

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes they are worth it. I've owned a Browning Citori, 2 Beretta 682s, a Krieghoff Model 32, Remington 1100 and a Beretta 390. They are all good guns but when my mortage was paid I bought a fitted Perazzi MX8 with a fistful of Briley choke tubes. This was two years ago and my scores across the board are better and I like this gun as much today as the first day I bought it. The only problem is that I have other less expensive guns that I take out from time to time. Each time I do and I struggle with targets I think to myself "Why am I shooting this gun when I have a Perazzi at home?"

A Perazzi is not an inexpensive gun but it is superb value. If you can afford it, do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Dave, have you posted on Ts.com before your? Are you from California? Are you a teen? Anyway, if you are from California you would want to get a Perazzi, besides being the best Perazzi Usa is in southern California. So yo could go down there and have the stock made to fit you and if anything eer went wrong you could always go down there and have it fixed.

Aaron Thompson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are really thinking about a Perazzi, then you can contact Perazzi U.S.A. at:

1010 W. Tenth St.
Azusa CA

The phone # is (626)334-1234

Ask for Lucio.

(He's a really nice and will be more than happy to help you out)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:36 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I don't know whether it's considered high dollar or not, but I do own a Perazzi MX8-20 Sporting (29-1/2 inch barrels). It's a fine shotgun, but I don't shoot it one bit better than my other shotguns, which I assume one would not consider high dollar.

These other shotguns are: Winchester M101 Pigeon Grade 3-barrel skeet set (20 and 28 gauge, 410 bore), Browning Citori Grade III 4-barrel skeet set, Browning Pigeon Grade Superposed 12 gauge skeet (Belgium made), Browning M525 12 gauge Sporting, Browning M525 28 gauge sporting, Browning Featherlight combo (20 and 28 gauge), Browning M525 field grade 12 gauge, Browning M525 field grade 20 gauge. Definitely non-high dollar are my Remington 11-87 Premier Trap and 11-87 Premier Skeet (which I use with its 28" field barrel when wading the creek bottoms and crawling through the mud duck hunting.)

Anyway, as I said, I don't shoot the Perazzi any better than the others. I am, by the way, a 96 to 97% skeet shooter with all gauges except the 410 bore. I'm about a 92% shooter with either the Winchester or Browning with the 410 bore barrel. We won't talk about my sporting clays average :oops:, but I am coming up slowly although not so surely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

Interesting I got asked if I was a teenager from California, who'd never posted on ts.com before? I am more seriously considering a Kolar than a Perazzi. I have my fair share of shotguns, I just have never jumped up over the $2500.00 mark or so. I am a lefty and have been in touch with Kolar in reguards to a lefthanded shotgun. I was trapshooting at Kingsberg this weekend (along with all the other teenagers from California) and a discussion came up on Perazzis' for lefties being the best gun on the market right now. I was just curious, and I was just considering standard high dollar guns, between $8,000- $12,000.

Dave Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:43 am 
Go with the Perazzi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:30 am 
Limited Edition

If you are going to spend the money for a combo you should try the Big 3 --- Perazzi, Krieghoff & Kolar to see which you like the best.

In Southern California you should stop and see John Herkowitz at Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa as he carries all three of them and usually has a good supply of used ones you can try. He is right next store to one of the better stock-fitters you can find and that's Joe Shiozaki of JS AirCushion stocks. John & Joe are both classy folks and won't steer you wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave W.

Of the 2 you seem to be most interested in, the Kolar would be my choice. I've tried a few Perazzi's over the years. They're very nice guns and I particularly liked the old MT-6, but the K-80 always felt more natural in my hands. I've been shooting a K-80/Kolar set for 15 years. It's one that I bought from, and still have serviced by Kolar Arms. They're very good to deal with. I've shot both K-guns and while the Kolar is an excellent gun, I still personally prefer the Krieghoff. One advantage I see to the Krieghoff's, which may not be of much importance to you, is that there are lots of used barrels available at good prices. Bottom line... Shoot them all, pick the one that's feels right to YOU, and then stay away from any other tournament guns for awhile. IMO nothing's worse than buying a new gun, then going to the tournaments with a couple of other guns in the trunk to fall back on. Don't rush your decision. Enjoy the process.

Mark

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

I would try both before buying.I have 3 Perazzis--2 are 12g target guns.BUT a friend has a Kolar and it is a soft shooting gun that is a fine target gun.The Kolar is overbored and shoots very light(it is also 9 lbs as opposed to the Perazzis 8 lbs).I like my P-guns better but you should shoot both before you buy.I liked the Kolar much better than the Krieghoffs I have shot.

Also note that Perazzi offers a factory overbored barrel now(at .735).I would try to get one of those rather than the tight bores usually found on the P-gun(.725 and .729 are my 2 guns--and being different they don't use the same choke tubes.).

Also make sure they give you the bigger inertial block so you can put a set of subgauge tubes in the gun if you want to shoot small gauge.

Once the Perazzi is set up like you want it will give you great service--my 2 12g's have never given a days worth of trouble and both have seen 20,000 shells go thru them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:22 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Dave---I have owned and shot any number of "high dollar" shot guns at trap. Included are the K and P guns along with a couple of Lujtics and a Bowen. Of the bunch I believe that Kolar is making the best gun for the money and you can go to the factory for a personized fitting and pick out the wood you want. Keep in mind that pretty wood and fancy engraving only add to the cost of the gun,not to the way it will shoot for you.

P guns are famous for breaking trigger springs unless you want to go the coil spring route. Kreigoffs are nice guns but custom fitting at the factory is not an option unless you wish a trip to Germany.

My suggestion is to shoot as many different guns as you can and then make your choice. I believe you have said that you are fairly new at trap? If so--just spend a coouple of grand for a nice used gun that you like and shoot it for a while. Buying a new "high dollar" gun can be pretty expensive when you find something else you like better.

At present I am shooting a 90T (made by Kolar for Remington) and love the gun as well as any I have ever owned. A good used one can be boought for $1500 to $2500----money well spent in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Whatever you buy, if you are going to pay that much for a shotgun without a custom-fit stock you are throwing your money away.

Oh, and if I was in the market for a single-barrel trap gun, I would look for a 90T also. They are sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

okshotgunner - that is one damn fine collection. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:44 pm 
Take a look at some Ljutic's as they run from mid range to high dollar. They are located in Yakima, WA. They have a web site and custom fit shotguns..
Mrs. Nadine Ljutic works the office and Al Ljutic, the inventor, is out inventing, I hope..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:12 pm 
Field Grade

Dwight that's a great tip, as luck would have it I will be in Wa. next month, and now I have an excuse to drive over the mountains and visit ljutic, I did not know where they were located before.

Dave Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

www.berettausa.com

www.browning.com

www.ljuticgun.com

www.bosis.com

www.krieghoff.com

www.perazzi.it

www.kolararms.com

www.renatogamba.it

www.sport-kemen.com

Take a look at'em all.

And if you want to sell your house:

www.fabbri.it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:48 am 
Crown Grade

Hey, Pigeon/Dem:Me,too.You might be surprised that many of the boxed bird shooters around here are buying Fabbris--used--b/c so few new ones are made.These are people who already have high grade Perazzis, Krieghoffs, etc.