CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 1300 XTR Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:20 am 
So I've been shooting for a few years now, and finally made a shotgun purchase. I'd been looking at the Browning and Winchester pumps, and after going into a local store to buy a new recoil spring for my 1911, I browsed the used rack and found an absolutely gorgeous Winchester 1300 XTR pump with a 26" barrel, exactly what I'd been wanting. And the best part is that the guy that had it on consignment kept dropping the price, so I picked it up for $150 out the door. It has a beautiful glossy walnut stock and a 99% finish. There's one little ding in the stock, but I'm going to steam it out. It also has a jewelled bolt and the action is very smooth, although I'm going to polish the trigger just a bit. It says "Winchester Repeating Arms" on the grip cap and plastic butt plate (which, as my bruised shoulder is telling me, is going to be replaced with a Decelerator recoil pad next week).

At any rate, I can't find much info about this particular gun (the XTR series.) The receiver is alloy (won't take cold blue). Also (forgive my ignorance here), it says "IMP CYL" on the barrel, but came with a screw-in Full choke. Does this mean the unchoked barrel is Improved Cylinder, or does it mean that's the original choke it was supposed to come with? If it means that's what the unchoked barrel is, I was under the impression that shooting a threaded barrel without a choke would damage the choke threads. After looking at photos of the current WinChoke tubes, I believe this gun predates them (it has threads right under the muzzle instead of an inch or two inside the barrel.)

Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have the serial number on hand. I'm not as interested in when it was made as much as I am just learning a bit about this particular model. I couldn't really find much when I searched the forums on it.

Anyway, I put 100 rounds through her on Saturday and she functioned flawlessly. I don't know why he was selling her so cheap (I know they weren't terribly expensive new, so of the mid-high grade of the midline shotguns), but I think I got a great deal.

Post subject: Re: Winchester 1300 XTR Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

It means that the barrel was originally an Improved Cylinder fixed choke barrel, and someone had a gunsmith modify the barrel to accept screw in (probably Winchokes) chokes.

The gunsmith should have x'd out the Imp Cyl on the barrel for safety. You should not shoot the gun without a choke installed.

At least, that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's not a WinChoke threaded barrel. At least from photos, it looks like it might actually be a Benelli/Beretta thread (since the threads are right under the muzzle), but I'll have to take it and try some other chokes out to see what it's cut for.
At some point I'll probably have to get another WinChoke threaded barrel for it. Right now, I'm probably mainly going to be using it for clays, but the choke that it came with was an Extra Full (although it has no manufacturer names on it.) I don't know how this is going to work out for clay shooting, but we'll see I suppose (at least it's not for any competition or anything.)
At least I still feel like I got a good deal. Anyone else have any ideas as to what I should do with the barrel (ie, get it threaded for WinChokes, get a new one, see if I can figure out which chokes it's threaded for?) Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:36 pm 
Utility Grade

The XTR series was introduced by US Repeating Arms in the mid 70's. It has a high gloss finish on a better grade of walnut wood and hand checkered.

The basic action is the same as the older 1200's and early 1300's but was prettied up to compete more with the high gloss finished 870 Remington's.

The barrel that you have may be off an earlier 1300 and then converted to accept choke tubes. All of the XTR's that I have seen all came in 3" mag and all had choke tubes. Full, modified and imp. cyl.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:56 pm 
Utility Grade

That's sort of what I thought. I'm probably just going to get a new 1300 barrel for it with some tax return money. Should a new 1300 barrel fit, or should I call Winchester/USRAC with my serial number and ask them?

I'm sure what I'll do with the barrel that's on there now. There's nothing wrong with it aside from a choke thread that I can't figure out. I think it may have been someone's experimental barrel, since the choke that's in it says "XX Full, Pat. Pend." and "882" around the muzzle. All of the lettering is done with an electro-pencil. The barrel and choke work absolutely fine, but I want to be able to put different chokes on it, and I'd prefer the choke thread that Winchester actually uses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 am 
Utility Grade

Hey guys im only 16 so i wont now much but are these 1300xtr's rare my sister bought me one from a collectors with all the win chokes mod cyl and full what's the differece also i have little dents on my gun stock is that bad :/ :( thanks Chris