CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 1200FP Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a Used Beretta 1200FP from SOG today and want to find a manual for it. Is there anywhere I can download it?
Also looking for source for a side saddle shell holder for it.
Any opinions on these shotguns from those that have them would be great.
The shotgun has a 20 inch barrel, 6 shot tube and is in very good shape. It came with a Uncle Mike's Sling also. From the looks of it, it must be a Police Trade-in. I am very happy with it.
I also bought the Norinco '97 Trench Gun with the bayonet too. I'd like a manual to that also.
Thanks for all replies in advance.
:D

Post subject: Re: Beretta 1200FP Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Heavy,
I bought the same thing from the same people a couple of weeks ago. The Beratta showed up two days before I left for a two week trip, so it'll be a while yet before I can try mine out.

Have you fired yours? How about a (detailed) review?

Mine looks like its' never been fired on the inside, but the exterior is BAAAD. There is a lot of finish wear on the receiver, barrel, and mag tube. The receiver even has a little divot in the top, about a 1/4" long by 1/8" wide. I would not consider it Very Good as advertised. Also, the ad that I saw this in SGN said 8 shot mag. I was a little PO'd to get buy one and find out upon receiving it that it is a 6 shot mag. At this point I'll keep it if it performs well. It would have to be a spectacular bargain on something I really want to entice me to buy from SOG again.

Go to Berattausa.com and you can request a manual. It'll take them about two weeks to send it to you, no charge.

Let me know if you find a side saddle. I'm also considering an aftermarket ghostring sight, if I can find one. Mine came with the Uncle Mikes sling.

If I do go with ghostring sights I'd consider trimming the barrel down about two inches to match the mag tube, since I'd be replacing the front sight anyway. (That assumes the gun would still meet the federal length limits) I'd likely attempt to re-finish the whole thing, also.

Regards, Brisco.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 pm 
Utility Grade

The outside of mine was much better than I expected. It has a few spots where the finish is worn off but nothing major. My bore seems to be chrome lined with two spots where it's flaked off. I have not yet cleaned the bore to be sure it's not just dirty. It's a shotgun, so I'm not too concerned about that.
How was the action on yours? Mine is very slick and smooth. All in all I am happy with mine.
Do you have any idea where these came from? Maybe ex police or military?
I'll get hold of Beretta and ask for a manual. Also I have not fired mine yet.
Thanks for the comments. With all the internet searches I've done on these, I've found little info on them. Must not have sold many.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:49 am 
Utility Grade

I believe these are police trade-ins, but I have no idea what agency.

I've read on-line that these were less popular than the competing Benelli for two reasons:
the Beratta has an aluminum receiver, while the Benelli's is steel. Some police agencies felt that this made the Beretta less rugged and more fragile.
the Beretta design does not allow for extending the mag tube for more rounds, whereas the Benelli will readily except mag tube extension.

I've read that the Benelli has a popular feature that will allow the user to put one additional round on the carrier (the part that lifts the next round into the receiver for loading into the barrel), and the Beretta does not do that.

And, since the Benelli was more popular with police the public was more interested in them and thus the aftermarket manufacturers created sights and other items for the Benelli, while there is very little available for the Beretta.

As I understand it the action is virtually identical in the Beretta and Benelli, and a few parts will interchange, or so I've been told. I've no idea how many were sold of either make, but Beretta has discontinued the line as they now own and market Benelli.

Let's see that review after you've tried it.

Regards, Brisco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:39 am 
Limited Edition

Brisco wrote:

I've read on-line that these were less popular than the competing Benelli for two reasons:
the Beratta has an aluminum receiver, while the Benelli's is steel. Some police agencies felt that this made the Beretta less rugged and more fragile.

Nope, the Benelli’s have Aluminum receivers too

Brisco wrote:
I've read that the Benelli has a popular feature that will allow the user to put one additional round on the carrier (the part that lifts the next round into the receiver for loading into the barrel), and the Beretta does not do that.

Not anymore. Benelli “fixed” that a couple of years ago. I’ve heard that new guns can be “modified” to allow the extra shell on the carrier, but neither of my two newer Benelli’s can do it.

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the new details as I know very little about the 1200's. I cleaned up the bore and it looks like new now. It must not have been cleaned before it was sold. I'm glad I bought it.
Any idea what parts will interchange with other brands or models?