CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2015
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
wfb18 wrote:
Titanium, the post by charlie06a explains that the main problem with using the Mossberg 835 for HD is the overbored barrel. The following barrel is available from Maverick Arms for the 835: Item #12946, 18.5" Cylinder Bore w/bead sight, blue finish $100.00. Since this is a barrel that they do not get asked for frequently, it may take them some time to get this barrel for you. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact Roger Montalvo, Maverick Arms Product Service Representative directly at 1-800-363-3555, ext 541.


I called for some clarification on 23 Jan 2009. The #12946 is a true cylinder bore, smoothbore barrel, NOT AN OVERBORED BARREL, and both slugs and shotshells can be fired through it. The #12946 can be ordered parkerized for $20 extra.



_________________
Pistol Grip Only - PGO Shotgun Technique
2 Mossberg 835's, a 7+1 Mossberg 500, & a Mossberg 500 Cruiser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:52 pm
Posts: 75
Titanium,

I converted my 835 into an HD shotgun. M24shooter is correct, that most parts for a 500 & a 590 will fit an 835. Here is the parts list for the mods I did to my 835:

1) 18.5" barrel with 3-1/2" chamber: Part#90823 (I think these only come in the blue finish) They are around $110.00. Mossberg does not advertise these on their site. You have to contact Customer Service to order one. I got mine on GunBroker for around $80.00...

2) Tactical Forend with strap: Part#13438 These are about $20.00 from Mossberg.

3) Pistol Grip: Part#95000 From the factory they run $25.00. I got mine on eBay for $18.00.

4) For the mag extension you need to get in touch with MAX100. He is a member here on the board. His mag extension is a very high quality piece of work!

The sling is a black web sling for an AR-15/M-16. I got it at a gun show many years ago and I have no idea what they cost now. Same for the front sling mount & swivel. I think it is a Choate though, so you can check their site and see what they run.

I hope that helps you out for what you might want to do for your 835 (And don't forget to post pics of your project!).

Mick

Here are a few pics of my set up:

Image

Image

Image

Image


Last edited by mic214 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2015
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
wfb18 wrote:
wfb18 wrote:
The following barrel is available from Maverick Arms for the 835: Item #12946, 18.5" Cylinder Bore w/bead sight, blue finish $100.00. Since this is a barrel that they do not get asked for frequently, it may take them some time to get this barrel for you. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact Roger Montalvo, Maverick Arms Product Service Representative directly at 1-800-363-3555, ext 541.


I called for some clarification on 23 Jan 2009. The #12946 is a true cylinder bore, smoothbore barrel, NOT AN OVERBORED BARREL, and both slugs and shotshells can be fired through it. The #12946 can be ordered parkerized for $20 extra.


mic214 wrote:
18.5" barrel with 3-1/2" chamber: Part#90823 (I think these only come in the blue finish) They are around $110.00. Mossberg does not advertise these on their site. You have to contact Customer Service to order one. I got mine on GunBroker for around $80.00...


I called Maverick Arms again and barrel #12946 is the same as #90823, which is the part number of this barrel when it is sold to stores in clamshell packaging.

Nice work on your 835, mic214!

_________________
Pistol Grip Only - PGO Shotgun Technique
2 Mossberg 835's, a 7+1 Mossberg 500, & a Mossberg 500 Cruiser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:40 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:54 am
Posts: 575
Location: Cumming, GA
wfb18 wrote:
wfb18 wrote:
wfb18 wrote:
The following barrel is available from Maverick Arms for the 835: Item #12946, 18.5" Cylinder Bore w/bead sight, blue finish $100.00. Since this is a barrel that they do not get asked for frequently, it may take them some time to get this barrel for you. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact Roger Montalvo, Maverick Arms Product Service Representative directly at 1-800-363-3555, ext 541.


I called for some clarification on 23 Jan 2009. The #12946 is a true cylinder bore, smoothbore barrel, NOT AN OVERBORED BARREL, and both slugs and shotshells can be fired through it. The #12946 can be ordered parkerized for $20 extra.


mic214 wrote:
18.5" barrel with 3-1/2" chamber: Part#90823 (I think these only come in the blue finish) They are around $110.00. Mossberg does not advertise these on their site. You have to contact Customer Service to order one. I got mine on GunBroker for around $80.00...


I called Maverick Arms again and barrel #12946 is the same as #90823, which is the part number of this barrel when it is sold to stores in clamshell packaging.

Nice work on your 835, mic214!


I second that

_________________
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 12614
Location: Mo
As someone who has experiance with 3.5in shells have you fired one in the pg configuration?

_________________
Durring times of universal deceit, speaking the truth becomes a revolutionary act. ---George Orwell

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2015
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Something wrong has happened to this thread. I think that the beginning, etc., is missing, and I was not the author of this thread. As my 835's have factory stocks, I cannot answer the last post either. Sorry.

_________________
Pistol Grip Only - PGO Shotgun Technique
2 Mossberg 835's, a 7+1 Mossberg 500, & a Mossberg 500 Cruiser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:23 am
Posts: 5920
Location: In overwatch
wfb18 wrote:
Something wrong has happened to this thread. I think that the beginning, etc., is missing, and I was not the author of this thread. As my 835's have factory stocks, I cannot answer the last post either. Sorry.

There is something wrong with this thread. It shows that I posted in it, but I don't have any responses in it.

_________________
You might find me someday dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass.

Image
http://www.weaponevolution.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am
Posts: 11
any update on this conversion? i'd love to know more...and like OP said where is the start of the thread?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2015
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
This is a link to mic214's posts, and you will readily spot a few tactical/HD 835 threads which he either started or in which he posted. His photographs appear in several of them. mickster also has much good information on an 835.

My 835 is still making progress on a mini-budget. Last year I added the 18.5" parkerized cylinder bore security barrel and had Accu-Mag choke threads installed so that I could continue using Accu-Mag ckokes. Briley's squeezed them in somehow and the bill was all right. But then I read here that I could have bought an 18.5" 590A1 barrel that is already choked for only $117 or so. Of course that 590A1 barrel is only chambered for 3" shells and it uses the Accu-Chokes used on 500's, and I have none of those, so I am back to being satisfied with sending my barrel to Briley's.

I am about to receive from Amazon one of the Tom Knapp-endorsed Champion Easy-Hit front sights, a Hi-Viz Magni-Hunter front sight, and a Hi-Viz Magni-Comp front sight. I am determined to deal with my dominant left eye, and all three of these recess the fiber optic back aways in a tube, so that only the eye looking directly down the barrel can see the dot. I am going to try each one out on the vent-rib barrel first, and then I may physically alter one of them for the plain barrel. These sights allow both eyes open shooting, a SD necessity. Later after I am better at shooting clays, I will install an XS Big Dot on the security barrel.

I like the sport forend. It will stay for now, but I really liked how well mickster showed the way to install a Hogue forend on an 835. I will likely get a Knoxx CompStock for it soon.

What plans are you making, ripjack13?

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Pistol Grip Only - PGO Shotgun Technique
2 Mossberg 835's, a 7+1 Mossberg 500, & a Mossberg 500 Cruiser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:23 am
Posts: 5920
Location: In overwatch
ripjack13 wrote:
any update on this conversion? i'd love to know more...and like OP said where is the start of the thread?

You must have really been hunting around to end up with a two year necro post.
Nobody really knows what happened to the first part of this thread. It showed at the time that I posted in it, when I hadn't. Who knows what happened.
There are several threads that disappeared during the several upgrades to the board.

_________________
You might find me someday dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass.

Image
http://www.weaponevolution.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Turning a Mossberg 835 into a tactical weapon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am
Posts: 11
well..i was scouting around for information on the mossberg 835 way back in the begining of the year... i had just bought one and wanted to know all i could.

how is it that i haven't been in here since then. i was doing another search on 835 conversions and this thread popped up in google. i'll have to edit my preferences so i can receive some updates.

And hi m24shooter!




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 5 Stand Dan, 737Mech, Aek29, Automaan, AWS, Bing [Bot], Chukarshooter, CLuttrell, danmac, Eriehunter, gds45, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, honkers, jcbabb, jimbloomfield, Josh R, jpwheels, kilrain_20th, lindenwood, mcscheck, Nemo288, outdoorsmen438, pastevez, Pathfinder, quackrz, RAR71, rsrocket1, seh, sfisk, spyderman2k4, supermech, T-Dubb, TuJays, willsweptline, wttex, Xftrplt, Yahoo [Bot], ysr_racer, Yuma Hunter


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice