CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BT-99 Good or bad value?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am currently considering buying a used browning BT-99. I believe it was made in '78. comes with two barrels both fixed choke w/ porting. adjustable butt pad (drop, LOP) and adjustable comb.

How much would be overpaying?

It still locks up tight and the lever is to the right i haven't been able to shoot it but it seems to be in good order.

would $1200 be a reasonable deal??? I'm not to familiar about the older BT-99s value and how they hold up. I will be using it for ATA singles and handicap.

Post subject: re: BT-99 Good or bad value?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can buy one brand new for that. The extra barrel is worth a few hundred bucks (I'd say around $300), don't pay a penny for the porting, adjustable pad or adjustable comb. Those were changes the previous owner wanted...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it was made in 1978 it will have RT as the two letters in the serial number. Mine was made in 1977 and has RR in the serial number.

The earlier BTs had two distinct differences, the fore stock and ejectors. I believe the BTs had ejectors until 1995 when it was discontinued. It was re-introduced in 2001 (I think) and the new models only have extractors.

The fore stock was initially started as a low profile beaver tail design. Then it changed to a thicker style with finger grooves. When it was re-introduced, it went back to the low profile design. I prefer the thicker style with the finger grooves.

It's not enough that it locks up tight. Also check the receiver play when open. There should not be any side to side movement. Even if there is, it can be fixed by a quality gunsmith.

Without seeing the gun you're looking at, it's difficult to tell what it's worth. However, a 1978 BT-99 in the condition you describe, with the extras, no gouges on the wood and no scratches on the metal would be worth $1,200 to me.

Just for comparison, I paid $800 for mine. I'm currently refinishing the stock and having the receiver and barrel refinished as well. I sent it to a smith to have the lock bolt and action tightened. I've added an adjustable butt plate, but it's not adjustable for LOP. I don't have an adjustable comb. By the time it's all done I'll have about $1,100 in it and I don't have an extra barrel. It's worth it to me.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Rastoff i guess i should have stated that i'm not looking for a super or even a great deal i'm just not looking to be "screwed". I would like to have a good trap gun for single and handicap to last me several more years. I also really like the thicker fore arm myself compared to the new style. It does have RP in the serial number but from midwestgunworks.com it was a 78?

drsfmd: thanks for your quick reply I have looked at the new BT-99s quite a bit and the new cheapest adjustable comb i have found was $1250 from SW. but from what i have held from the older BT-99s i do like some of the options of this gun i am looking at. I do like the "thicker" forearm. The porting on the barrels are not really that great to me, unless for a quick follow up shot, "this is worthless on a single shot" my other skeet/sporting gun has it but i don't really notice the change it makes "i cant really tell". but i would like the adjustable comb and the adjustable butt, but also i'm a believer in guns should be made to fit the shooter not the other way around and this gun i plan on using for quite a while and i dont really want to change to make the gun work for me.

Thanks for the replys i would like to hear more input. I do really appreciate it and I do like to hear opinions. THANK YOU ALL.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

A BT99 with RP in the serial number is a 78. RT would make it a 76.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry, I got my numbers mixed around. oletymer is right and the RP would make it a '78 gun.

Here's the link to Browning's serial number info on the BT-99:
http://www.browning.com/customerservice ... .asp?id=28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Thats about the going price for an older BT99 in 90% condition in our area. I wouldn't care for the porting, but I wouldn't let that stop me if the rest of the gun is in very good condition. Although you can get a late model for around that price, I don't think the quality is as good as the older models, especially the wood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just an update.

I found a another gun that i just couldn't pass up.

I found a BT-99 plus at a local gun show with a 34" barrel. Just had enough time to shoot one round of trap with it tonight and am in love with this gun. I missed the first bird that came out then crushed every one after that. I didn't have a chance to set a good POI for this gun so i just guessed. i think it is about 12" high at 30yd. I still think i might put in one more 1/16" washer to the comb because even though i was breaking the clays pretty hard i was still continuously getting pieces flying up.

I had a Briley full extended choke in shooting my 1200fps 1 0z. reloads.

So in my opinion every Bt-99 is a good value.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like you made a great decision! :) My Dad recently got a 34" BT-99 also and he loves it. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: BT-99 Good or bad value?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

just a quick update:

shot my first 25 with my new gun at a ATA shoot during the handicap event was really close to shooting my first 50 in ATA but missed bird #48. Won the handicap event w/ a 94 and got punched back to the 21.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:)W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just another update sorry but i need to brag again. went shooting tonight and got my first 100 strait with my BT. what a gun :D

was shooting my 7/8oz #8 1200 fps reloads with a briley full choke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I have a couple of BT-99's, old style and cannot tell when they were made. Can someone help me out. I tried the link to Browning and can't make sense of it. Yea, I know, just too complex for my simple mind. On is sn-72D1XXXX, it's a 32" full. The other is sn-37D2XXXX, it's a 34" IM. I would like to know when they were made. The 32" gun is actually choked at .015 for 16 yd. trap for 4-h kids. The later is stock and would actuall like to sell it. Thanks for the assistance. Danny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Cotton, you have to put the whole number in for those guns to determine the year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:22 am 
Crown Grade

COTTON wrote:
sn-72D1XXXX

Source: Matt Eastmans Guide To Browning Firearms, 1987 edition, page 17

COTTON wrote:
sn-37D2XXXX,

Not sure, its not in the book, I have seen the "37" before but can't place it, have you checked it against this site?

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/B-012-6

"D" stands for the model, in this case BT-99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 am 
Field Grade

Ok, the serial numbers in full are; sn 37D20375 and sn 72D13703. If more info is needed, just let me know. I appreciate everyones interest and help. Danny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

COTTON wrote:
sn 37D20375

Could well be a 1973 with the numbers 7 & 3 switched in error, here is a long thread on the subject I dredged up with a search.

Some of the postings indicate this happened.

viewtopic.php?p=1287430

quotes from that link;

mikkeeh1 wrote:
Called customer service.....Mfg year is 1973..numbers WERE transposed....Must have been a lot of Fridays in that years huh?

arvo11 wrote:
Yes, that was me! My BT-99 starts with 37D and then the serial number also. I suspected that maybe it was a 73 model with the numbers transposed, but wasn't sure. They must have stamped at least two that way, mine and yours. Wonder how many more?