Shotgun Forum banner

New Model: MP-18 (IZH-18) with polymer stock (photos)

29K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Spencerk 
#1 ·
The single shot IZH-18 is now called MP-18.

A modern looking polymer stock gives it a whole new personality. I am not aware of any other changes.

See less See more
#2 ·
The best built/designed lower cost single on the market today Toz. Put a vent rib on this shotgun and you would have one really great carry all day single for grouse hunting. I also like the looks of the new synthetic stock. I'll take this shotgun over a HR/NE Topper every time.

#8 ·
jds said:
The best built/designed lower cost single on the market today Toz. Put a vent rib on this shotgun and you would have one really great carry all day single for grouse hunting. I also like the looks of the new synthetic stock. I'll take this shotgun over a HR/NE Topper every time.
I had an SPR100 - liked how it felt, but never shot it. Sold it to a co-worker.

Why? I went after an SPR100 SC4 (vent rib, longer barrel, 4 chokes, walnut, and trap stock).

I had been shooting Trap with my semi-autos...and I was terrible. (8s and 9s, on average) [note: I'm new to this sport!]

Took the SPR100 SC4 out of the box last night, and absolutely crushed them. When I hit them, they were dead on. Shot around 15-16, and missed some easy straight-ahead ones.

Lines up beautifully. GREAT gun!

{just realized this might not be the right thread for this evaluation...but I wanted to say that I have the SPR version with the vent rib, and it's GREAT!}

#10 ·
I just purchased this gun last week. So far it's great for the price. Mainly for a guest gun(trap range) I installed a Hi-viz plain barrel press on foresight just for an aiming reference. I missed quite a few clays, but I'll get it down sometime. My main gun is a maverick o/u.
this baikal is very light, almost too light, and I like the ejector feature. The only set back is a huge trigger guard. When firing, it gets shoved back to my middle finger. Even w/ gloves I can feel it. Overall, it's okay. I'll get better at it. I've only been trap shooting for 3 months. If I stay w/ it, I'll spend on pricier guns but for now this works.

#11 ·
I realize that most of the post here are about 3 yrs old, but maybe I'll get a response anyway.

I just bought a IZH 18 EM and would really like to put on the polymer or "synthetic" stock and forend I see here. My problem is I can't find the items anywhere. Any ideas on where I can find them?

I would think that there has to be replacement stocks out in la la land somewhere?

DJMANNY** Can I ask where you bought your gun? Maybe they would have replacement stocks available or know where I can purchase them? Thanks to all.

Jack {hs#

#12 ·
Sure Jack, not a problem. Big-5 sporting goods(Seattle). I doubt they'll have a stock for it. But since my last post, I tried a few things to finally make it better. It was too light that the kick was hard and I got bruised, so a "Limbsaver" recoil pad worked wonders for it. Then I got a Warner brand cheek pad that had elastic/velcro. As mentioned earlier, a hi-viz clip on sight. Now it was very comfortable to shoot. Last but not least, I finally figured out the sighting. Remember, "wood to wood" rest your cheek and look straight down the top of barrel, square w/ the hi-viz bead, make sure you're not ramping upwards, finally, cover the clay/bird w/ the bead and kiss the clay goodbye!

As for the trigger guard ramming into my middle finger, theres no solution for that. Just a glove. good luck w/ your stock search.

#14 ·
i love my MP18.

its my favourite gun. mine is modified with a suppressor and has the built in ejector which can be disabled at a touch if opening the gun and you haven't taken a shot

regarding the opening lever touching the hand.....hold the gun tighter when shooting, i have scuffed my knuckles with heavy loads when not holding it tight enough

with the shell holder on the stock with 4 cartridges in it this gun is always ready to go

#15 ·
I like the synthetic stock and fore end. I'm kind of partial to the wood stock though. This was my first shotgun I ever bought. I use it for squirrel hunting mainly. With the fixed full choke barrel, it does great when shooting squirrels at longer ranges (30-40 yards). Normally I shoot most squirrels within 20 yards. But when I hunt in dense woodlands, where it's hard to sneak up on them, the Baikal IZH-18M is where it's at.

Never had any issues with the opening lever or trigger guard hurting my hands. Bought this gun from a local pawn shop, and I'll have it til the day I die!

#16 ·
I have an mp-18 in 12guage as well and have big hands i guess the first few times i shot. The release lever kept hitting my knuckles & fingers i love the handiness of the gun but hated the scratches but didnt want to get rd of the gun so after some heavy thoughts i c up with idea to use a small piece of rubber hose and slide over the lever. Its blue and may look funny BUT problem solved. I love the way this shotgun breaks down to carry and very glad i didnt give up on it. Just took some thought and a little ******* ingenuity :mrgreen:

#20 ·
buckshot doctor said:
Here is my MP18. I bought it in the middle of the Dave Canterbury single shot survival gun craze. I wanted it more compact and still capable, so I cut it down threaded it and put a polychoke on it. It looks ridiculous but it will still dust clays on the trap range.

Nice little Baikal there :B3 I like the adjustable/Poly Choke idea, and think it deserves more credit & popularity than it receives. As a built-in device for field use, I think it is a much better (and more progressive) idea than screw-in choke tubes, though I find it neat that the Poly Choke II is out there for those wanting to fit one to a screw-in gun.

I recently picked up two secondhand MP-18s myself, one 20 and one .410, but haven't gotten around to shooting them yet. They are unique in many ways, and seem competitive with other single shot, 'economy' guns - build quality appears better than on the Rossi/Taurus single shots I've had, though maybe not quite as good as the Gardner-built H&Rs. Hopefully, they will shoot and work well enough for my purposes...

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

#21 ·
I have 3 Baikals mp-18's... I have something of a trouser itch for them... One in .223 and 2 in 12ga.

One 12Ga I left mostly unmodified, other than adding a Remington Spartan series stock to get a bit of cast off, and the other I chopped to just over 18", added a front sight and rear ghost ring, and added a wood forend to for a little extra weight.

The shortie needs some refinishing since I did the work but it's almost complete.

On the .223 I had a PITA getting the sights off. I ended up nicknaming my MP-18 in .223 the "drunken Russian" because of the way they weld threaded sight posts directly to the barrel... I had to file them down to be flush with the barrel just to get the darn scope on it with the low rings I wanted. That being siad, for a cheap beak action single shot, the darned thing is a tack driver and can shoot half inch groups with Winchester 45gr varmint ammo at 100 yards all day as long as I can keep the barrel cool.

I also went a little overboard with the sling mounds since I had a standard sling swivel stud rip out of the forend while carrying the gun from my truck to shooting spot. Went to the hardware store, got some U hangers and some basic c clips with those threaded nuts to make a square paracord sling and boom. Instant indestructible sling system for a cheap indestructible "drunken Russian" may use the same system for my other guns too.

I'll stop threadjacking and make my own threads about them... I just figured I would show them off since somebody asked about the Baikal mp-18 rifle. Its my favorite rifle I own and he's ever owned...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.