CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New stock from a blank - inletting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

I recently bought a Spanish SxS (Pedro Gorosabel) that has the worst wood I've ever seen. I bought this gun as a project and would like to re-stock it.

The inletting is pretty complex and I'm not sure I can do it myself altho I have a fair amount of both wood and metal shop experience.

I know I can have the stock duplicated by means of a panotgraph, but the final inletting will be tricky because the wood on current stock is too low permitting the tangs to be way too high.

The gun is not worth spending money on a figured walnut blank and I have some nice well-grained but not figured walnut that's been in my shop for a decade or so that I would use.

Can anyone recommend one of the duplicating companies? Has someone used Bose?

Should I just get the stock duplicated or should I have them do the metal fitting?

I would be grateful for any shared experiences or advice.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

Post subject: re: New stock from a blank - inletting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fraink,
You can use the old stock for a pattern for the duplication but if the metal is proud in some areas, you will need to build up the surface of the stock. I use Brownells Acraglass for that puropse. Use a mold release on the metal so it will not stick.

Once you get the turned stock back you will need to inlet that for a perfect fit.

I would suggest you contact www.wenig.com and they will duplicate your stock for you. I might suggest too that you do the forearm at the ,time so the wood matches.

Once you get it back we can give you some advice on inletting. If it is a boxlock, it should not be that difficult but a sidelocks is another matter. You use a colored material to aid you in telling you where the wood is touching the stock. I use prussian blue and you can get it at any auto parts store. You can use inletting black also (brownells) or the old time method of a kerosene lamp base to blacken the metal with carbon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Chic is right!! Doing a project from a block is not something to begin on. Do the project from a semi-inlet to familiarize yourself with the process first. Once you have done several semi-inletted stocks then MAYBE you could try one from a block. Wenig's Custom Gunstocks is a good place to start. I have used them for years and they have not done me wrong yet. I once lived just three blocks from the building....so I knew the folks by face.....times they are a changen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Wenig's does nice work but, they never charge too little. Their
duplicating charges appear to vary according to the grade of blank they have to machine. I have also had good results with Donnie Gemes @ Show Me Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO. They have duplicated two stocks for me with excellent results. I also purchased a fancy grade machined Mannlicher stock from Show Me which I believe Wenig or other supplier would grade as at least AA fancy or better. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the results from Show Me and have recommended them to others.

FWIW, a professional stockmaker friend had used Wenig for several years and now sends his duplicating work to Show Me.

doppelflinten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:31 am 
Crown Grade

thanks for the suggestions - I think I'm going to hold off for a while until I shoot the gun some more.

I paid $390 for it and (surprisingly) it fits very well but has no life to it. I think I'll shoot very well with it but it won't ever be a fun gun to use.

So maybe I'll keep it to use when I'll be out in heavy rain or something like that or maybe I'll sell or give it away.

The stock is really crappy and I have some plain walnut so maybe if I can get the stock duplicated cheaply and even think about keeping the gun I'll do it.

The gun itself is very robust and will probably last forever but handles in a very boring way.

I spoke with Wenig's and now I'll check out Donnie Gemes and see what they have to say.

Many thanks

Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:21 pm 
Crown Grade

It is my understanding that Gorosabel ceased production of guns some years ago and became a supplier of springs and other components to the Eibar gun trade.

Gorosabels were imported into the U.K. by Gunmark, Ltd. In 1998, Beretta bought a 20% stake in the firm and the name was changed to GMK, Ltd. You may want to contact them and ask if they have any NOS replacement stocks for Gorosabels gathering dust. As I recall, the Gorosabels sold by Gunmark/GMK, Ltd. were SxS sidelock models.

If either firm has some old wood on the shelf, you may be able to save a few $$$.

doppelflinten

Post subject: Re: New stock from a blank - inletting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:57 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks, doppel hat was a very good suggestion! - I contacted them and they have none in stock.

I sort of suspect they didn't actually look, but just told me that they haven't had those guns in 20 yrs.

Anyway, good try!

May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
The stock is really crappy and I have some plain walnut so maybe if I can get the stock duplicated cheaply and even think about keeping the gun I'll do it.

Pumpster, did you get my pm?

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

If you do decide on a "copied" stock, the use of bondo works really well for building up surfaces on the od piece of wood. It's easy to shape and reapply if needed.

Though I don't duplicate stocks here in my shop, I have helped shooters work up buttstock dimensions that they're comfortable with, using the bondo. Giving the wood a quick shot of brown or black paint, they then can take the gun out and shoot it for a few weeks to confirm the new fit. Then it's of to the stockmaker of his choice.

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
www.dougsgunsmithshop.com