CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help ID Spanish 410 single shot
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello fellows ( or hola senores)! I'mtrying to find some info on a shotgun my dad gave me. He tells me he has no idea where it came from and doesn't remember how he got it.

Anyway, it says "Procomsa Principe-Bilbao" on the top of the barrel. I assume this means it was made somewhere in the Basque region of Spain. After that, some proof markings then "850 kg". The underside of the barrel (actually the breech) has "410-76" in an oval of sorts, then "K.L. 54471"
There is also "30." stamped on the barrel at the hinge assembly. The same info stamped on the underside of the barrel is stamped on the receiver.

My impression of this gun is that it is a cheaply made firearm. The hammer is difficult to pull back as well as the trigger having an extremely heavy pull. The barrel is 27 inches long with a sling attachment soldered to the barrel about 10 3/4" from the muzzle. The action is opened by a side lever. The wood appears to be cheaply finished.

Sorry no pics...can't find my camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ten

Post subject: re: Help ID Spanish 410 single shot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

A review of my 1970's era Asociacion Armera Catalogo General
shows no reference to a Procomsa Principe-Bilbao as a gunmaker. I suspect that your gun predates the 1970's. I believe your impression of the gun is correct. Single barrel shotguns with side lever openers were entry level guns
designed and built to the lowest possible price.

While the Spanish Proof House in Eibar tested barrels to a rigorous standard, manufacturers of entry level guns did not necessarily adhere to a similar standard for components. As a result, internal parts may not have been properly heat treated
and could and did experience rapid wear. In many cases, the cost of repair is not justified by the value of the gun. It sounds like a wall hanger.

doppelflinten

Post subject: re: Help ID Spanish 410 single shot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply. I wonder now where exactly it came from and how my dad got it...