CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adjusting old poly choke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

there's 3 complete turns on my polychoke. 1st revolution has little resistance turning, 2nd is medium, 3rd has a lot of resistance. which revolution is the one to use. there's also no notch or anything to lineup with for a reference point. i'd call them but it's saturday. thanx, rick

Post subject: re: adjusting old poly choke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It has been 40 years since my poly choke so they could be different now. At that time we screw the choke in until it stopped and that would be "extra full" which was normally pretty close in agreement with the choke markings on the tube. Then we opened it up go through the various choke settings until the first cylinder mark and that was it.

259xx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On my Polychokes, some of them around 40 years old, you never turn them a complete turn. Just click to click to open or close the constriction. Never a complete turn.

I'm not a complete idiot, there are still some missing parts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

You turn it until it you reach the setting just before it stops turning this is full on mine. You back it off one click or setting at a time as follows below for 9 adjustments.

I found through testing the settings full to sk (6-1) work just as they are marked. The cly and open setting seem to tighten up the pattern more for some reason. Some of the polys had extra setting like extra full but the idea is the same.

6-Full
5-IM
4-Mod
3-LM
2-IC
1-Sk
6-cly
5-1st open setting
4-2nd open setting

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 am 
Tournament Grade

thanks boys.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have an old Rem Mod 8 pump gun that belonged to my grandfather. Originally it had a 30" Full choke barrel, but heavy use between 1925 and 1948 shot out the choke. He sent it off to PolyChoke, they cut off 2" or so and put on the PolyChoke.

I inherited it in 1980 and found the instruction card for the PC. It said to screw down the choke to a full stop and back off to the first setting for FULL. Each click back changes to IM, Mod, LM, IC, Skeet and finally Cyl.

Just for fun, I put it on the pattern plate and low and behold the patterned opened up just like you would suspect.

Only action the old guns sees anymore is the occasional fun of shooting some sporting clays with a pump. Since I have shot only O/U since 1982 I need a coach to stand behind me and scream "pump you dummy" or I am way late on the second target.

So...Polychoke may be ugly, but they sure do work and obviously were perhaps the best real choice before screw in chokes came into fashion.

Kind of off subject, but does anyone else have any experience with the old Rem Mod 8. I think it was the forerunner to the 870, but not much was carried over if that is true. This old gun I believe was Rem attempt to compete with the Win Mod12.

Everything is machined out of good steel and the barrel comes off bayonet style like the M12. All of the battery in contained in the bold, with the trigger just being a metal device to trip the sear on the rear end of the bolt. Fastest lock time and crispest trigger I have ever seen on a pump gun. I think it is faster than most modern auto loaders. Only real drawback is the drop on the stock. I guess back in the 1920' they liked lots of drop at the heel on field guns. This one has a bunch and grandpa had it lowered even more. It will kick the snot out you with a heavy load.

Sorry to go on so long....Just got carried away on the old M8. It kill a gazillion ducks.

Post subject: Re: re: adjusting old poly choke
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

SupRdave wrote:
Kind of off subject, but does anyone else have any experience with the old Rem Mod 8. I think it was the forerunner to the 870, but not much was carried over if that is true. This old gun I believe was Rem attempt to compete with the Win Mod12.

Everything is machined out of good steel and the barrel comes off bayonet style like the M12. All of the battery in contained in the bold, with the trigger just being a metal device to trip the sear on the rear end of the bolt. Fastest lock time and crispest trigger I have ever seen on a pump gun. I think it is faster than most modern auto loaders. Only real drawback is the drop on the stock. I guess back in the 1920' they liked lots of drop at the heel on field guns. This one has a bunch and grandpa had it lowered even more. It will kick the snot out you with a heavy load.

Sorry to go on so long....Just got carried away on the old M8. It kill a gazillion ducks.

SupRdave,

It sounds to me that you have a Remington Model 10. This was Remington's first pump shotgun. It was bottom eject. Your description of the unique bolt makes me think so. Quite a unique design to be sure. Pederson was the designer... They actually came on the market in either 07 or 08 and the gun was called "Remington Repeating Shotgun" until 09 or 10 when it was tagged the Model 10. The Model 17 was Remington's next pump shotgun... Then the Model 29 (so called improved Model 10) the the Remington Model 31 came along in you guessed it, 1931! In 1950 the Model 870 arrived.
The Remington Model 8 was the first autoloading rifle made by Remington and it was chambered for .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington rimless rifle shells. A pump rifle came along for the same list of shells a couple years later... The Model 14.

I have a Model 10 and it is quite the shotgun... for its time especially! Hard gun to work on though.

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Slidehammer

You are correct, it is a Model 10 and not an 8. I just got confused for a moment. Sure is great old gun and that bottom ejection was great in a duck blind, no emptie shells pelting the hunting partner.

Many good days hunting with my grandpa are fondly remembered every time I get it out of the safe to look at it.

I think I am going to take it to US Open and shoot the pump event. No doubt I am going to get some strange looks from people; not may have ever seen this Model. I am impressed with out knowledge of it.
:) :)

Post subject: Re: re: adjusting old poly choke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 am 
Diamond Grade

SupRdave wrote:
Many good days hunting with my grandpa are fondly remembered every time I get it out of the safe to look at it.

I think I am going to take it to US Open and shoot the pump event. No doubt I am going to get some strange looks from people; not may have ever seen this Model. I am impressed with out knowledge of it.
:) :)

We shoot with an ol' friend in his 80's whenever we can "pry" him from the trap field for some sporting clays! While he likes using a Model 12 for trap (Beretta 682 for doubles) he was taught shooting trap by his father many, many, years back using his father's Remington Model 10....

His Dad had a fancy grade Remington Model 10 that he used all his life, never changing to a newer gun... I think the old gun may still be in the family.....

I think they made a quarter million or so Model 10's up until 1929 when the Model 29 replaced it.. I have often wondered why they are rarely seen anymore?

Have fun with it! 90%+ of my sporting clays is done with shotguns long out of production! That's half the fun of it for me!

Slidehammer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

on the subject of the old poly chokes

Some of them had a stainless tap that was held down by the front sight. Tighten all the way to full choke, loosen the front sight, slide the tab until the full choke line is were you want it, tighten the front sight back down.

When the choke is adjusted by the clicks the lines on the tab show at a glance were you are, it does work that way, although I have only owned or shot one poly choke, it was on a really ugly gun I bought just for the barrel and found once I cleaned past the the ugly I have a nice shooting A 5.

The one thing my dad has always said and my A 5 bares out, is AFTER you have shot a few shots though the open choke, it colects enough debris in the collet slots that it never quite tightens down to a full choke setting until you clean it and start fresh. I rarely shoot the poly I have any tighter then AS open as possible without risking breaking the collet!

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.