CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air powered shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:34 pm 
Hi there,

I'm looking for an air-powered shotgun for use in the garden (say up to 15 yards) but cannot find anyone who has hnted with such a gun.

Of course I could buy a 410, but that's a firearm and not legal to be shot within city boundaries here in The Netherlands (continental (West) Europe). Besides that, I could use my Beretta 12g with light loads, but it would still be overpowered for the purpose.

Sofar I can only find limited info on the 28g Farco (CO2 powered), but the author uses it to shoot 50 caliber balls with a sabot. This one is banned here as it has the appearance of a real firearm (don't get me started on our wicked gun laws here...). :x
Second I found the 20g LD, the LD20. Also CO2 powered (both are Philippine made guns BTW), but again it was used with slugs.
Finally the career or its lookalikes in 9mm, but the shot charge seems to be too limited to me, and the price too high. And again used with slugs.

Anyone out there has experiences hunting these guns with shot?

Happy shooting!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

i've never heard of an air powered shotgun, but i have a .22 benjamin sheriden air rifle. i used to put size 8 shot down it and shoot that out, but it would spread out so much that it couldnt hit anything more than 10 feet away. i later found that removing the plastic bullet full of shot from a cci shotshell worked best. when this round was dropped upsidedown down the barrell, and fired, it could hit dove at 20 yards, which was great for my backyard. all dove shot in my yard were eaten as i hate to let an animal go to waste

Post subject: Re: Air powered shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:07 pm 
Thanks for the reply Chips,

They do exist, let me reassure you, but I can only lay hands on a pre-charged pneumatic in 9mm which can throw a charge of about 8 grams (about 123 grains), but I don't know at what velocity. Besides, it's expensive for a "plinker".

Your idea of using the cci one sounds good, I'm surprised it can kill dove up to 20 yards! There are just a few tiny pellets in there right?

FYI I have enclosed a link to a review (with pics) from an American author about the Farco 28g air-shotgun.

http://www.airguns.net/reviews/farco.html

Happy shooting!

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm 
Crown Grade

It was a long time ago in both cases (25 years or so) but I recall that Crossman had one out and they had light plastic "clays" and to go with it with a little trap to toss them. The targets were two piece and were supposed to come apart when hit.

I saw an air powered shotgun in a magazine back then from Korea that was more powerfull and could kill small game close up.

It is too bad I can't recall any signifigant details about either but is was a while ago and I was not that interested in them at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Johnny B Good wrote:
Your idea of using the cci one sounds good, I'm surprised it can kill dove up to 20 yards! There are just a few tiny pellets in there right?

the plastic part of the bullet holds the pellets together, and when shooting at a soda can at 10 yards, all the pellets hit the can, and put a nice hole in it. the cci shells are kind of expensive, though. i think its about $4 for 10 shots. the shot it is loaded with is size 12, and i think there's about 50 pellets in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:31 am 
Claydust,
Thanks for the reply. The plastic clays you describe came with a nice looking airgun that could take down dove on the wing at close range. It is briefly discussed in the first "Airgun Digest".
Your memory did not fail you. The Koreans have several brands, the Career and the Fire are two models (brands?) that I know which are able to shoot a 9mm charge with pre-charged air, and deliver enough power. They're rather expensive though, so I'd like to hear more experiences. (so what's enough power eh?)

Chips,
Indeed, the CCI's are expensive. The advantage seems to be the #12 shot, which results in some suitable density. I'll see if I can lay hands on such small shot, although I fear they will not deliver enough energy, which seems not to be a problem in your experience.
I once shot with a 9mm rimfire with an 8 gram load of #9 shot. This is hardly enough, but the barrel was not choked. I also tried to shoot shot through a rifled barrel, but it seems to cause the pellets to "spray" and leave a hole in the center of the pattern. Could be eplained, but I choose to look for what works.

Were you able to shoot those doves on the wing or sitting?

Cheers mates,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:07 am 
Crown Grade

Johnny B Good wrote:

Were you able to shoot those doves on the wing or sitting?

John
i probably should have mentioned that i did shoot them while they were sitting. i took some shots at doves while they were flying, but i wasnt able to hit any. my air rifle has a rifled barrell, but i dont have any problems with having a hole in the center of the pattern. that could have something to do with the plastic casing from the cci rounds. they fit very loosely in the barrell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:50 am 
Still good performance Chips, a sitting bird is more difficult to kill than a flying one. The CCI cup may or may not have rotated due to the twisted barrel, it affects the shot itself less as it can "rotate" around the shot.

I tried firing a 1/2 oz charge from a .44 cal. muzzleloading rifled pistol. I only used a simple wad so the shot was exposed to the rifling.

I tried multiple BB's in a .177 but it would not work nicely.
I've got a pre-charged BSA in .22 which delivers around 20 ft/lbs. It's not what I would like to use as a shotgun, but I could do some testing similar to your "CCI shots".

I actually considered building a pneumatic "spud-gun" from PVC pipe. a 1,5" tube could potentially throw a 1/2 oz charge with suitable velocity as it would be operating in a sort of "sabot" mode which compensates for the low pressure. It wouldn't look like much but it could be an inexpensive way of testing the hunting potential...

Happy hunting!

John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:20 pm 
The gun Claydust is refering to is the Crossman 1000. I had one a few years ago. It resembles a Remington 1100. My shooting partner, and I, each had one, and we worked hard on developing loads for it. We had a supply of 60 factory loads, and after a lot of experimentation, we were able to better the factory loads. The down side of all this is that the gun is next to useless. On the high power setting under ideal conditions, you will approach 400 FPS. You will get about 6 shopts out of your co2 cylinders. The best example of what it won't do- we both shot at the same time at a Starling at 15 yards, and he flew away, just slightly wounded. The only use we ever found for them was to use it to shoot ball bearings (I think they were 3/8", or 7/16"). It was fairly impressive at this, as it would go through a One by six, but the accuracy was pretty poor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:21 pm 
The gun Claydust is refering to is the Crossman 1000. I had one a few years ago. It resembles a Remington 1100. My shooting partner, and I, each had one, and we worked hard on developing loads for it. We had a supply of 60 factory loads, and after a lot of experimentation, we were able to better the factory loads. The down side of all this is that the gun is next to useless. On the high power setting under ideal conditions, you will approach 400 FPS. You will get about 6 shopts out of your co2 cylinders. The best example of what it won't do- we both shot at the same time at a Starling at 15 yards, and he flew away, just slightly wounded. The only use we ever found for them was to use it to shoot ball bearings (I think they were 3/8", or 7/16"). It was fairly impressive at this, as it would go through a One by six, but the accuracy was pretty poor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:57 pm 
So much for air power, or the lack of it ;-)
I found the article in the Airgun Digest, indeed the 1100 lookalike. The author was quite happy with it, but never gave enough detailed info.

I had a similar experience with the 9mm rimfire shooting at a magpie some 8 yards away up in a tree. It did fall down, but was still very much alive. A second shot took care of it, but I could have batted it down with the stock and save a shell.
These 9mms are no longer legal for hunting here, the minimum gauge is 24, I don't know who made that up behind a desk, but it even exists.
Most common is the 12 (I think more than 90%), then the 20 and finally the 16.

We have very little experince with light loads like the ones shot with a .410 so I am curious if 1/2 oz loads are effective at all, but on your side of the pond they seem to be quite commonly used, within it's limits of course.

Happy shooting!

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:35 pm 
Crown Grade

well, i found my .22 air rifle today( i thought it was stolen out of my garage), and i played around with trying to make a wad to hold together some size 8 or 9 shot. i'll let y'all know how that goes. hopefully it'll work, because the grackels are starting to come back. i just killed one a few minutes ago with a pellet, but i dont like using those in the neighborhood(too much stuff gets broken).

i would like to mention that im am impressed by how well the bigger .22 pellet kills the birds. the .177 cal. pelets usualy took more than one shot to kill the bird

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:18 pm 
Limited Edition

This is some what off topic. When I was a kid in the city and before I could afford a pellet gun, I used a wrist rocket sling shot. I would shoot it with as many BB's as would fit in the pouch. I killed starlings with it and sure gave the cats hell. I never tried a wad or cup on the pouch, but I bet with some trial and error you could work up a fine pest control load. This is bringing back fun memorys. I think I'll try to find a new wrist-rocket and relive the carefree life before morgages, IRA's, child college funds, hair growing out my ears, etc.
Take care,
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:37 pm 
Hi there Chips :D

Just found a new "hunting ground" for pigeon. Their droppings couse a lot of damage on stored construction supplies so the owner of the shop was quite happy I came to help. Shot 13 on the first day in just onder 30 minutes, and 9 more on the second day in 45 minutes.

Not with a shotgun, but a .22 state-of-the-art British pre-charged pneumatic equipped with a silencer and scope with illuminated cross-hairs for those "shots in the dark".
I had the powe setting tuned down to 20 ft/lbs as the roof gets damaged if pellets penetrate fully with too much energy left. And I prefer body shots rather than UK style headshots.
Quite different from shooting a shotgun, which would have been impossible at this site.

Hello there Idahorob!
For reasons you mentioned I still have airguns on the side and get to shoot them more than my shotgun or rifles. I've shot my .22 lr over two years ago, and my .30-06 last summer on the range. Luckily I get to shoot my 12 gauge more than that.
All this leads me to wanting to have an air powered shotgun. Your example tells me that (at short range) velocity is not the most important, but the volume of the shot, hence my interest in the 20 gauge air-shotgun. They can kill the beast but they'll never kill the boy inside right? Thank god for that!

Man, am I cathing up on missed opportunities! I studied part time next to a full time job to get my degrees and moved up the career ladder after that, still leaving me with little time for leisure. Now that I've gone self-employed I get more time for my family AND shooting!!! Just bought a Franchi 12g semi-auto for my son as hist first shotgun which got him so exited that he is going to give a presentation in class about shotgunning and hunting with a shotgun.
Will soon spend more time on the range :lol:

Happy shooting!

John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Have so much fun on this forum that I forgot to fill out my "alias" in my last reply so I just registered to prevent that from now on.

Hope this makes things more manageable too as I had to check several forums manually for replies until now.

John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I read somewhere that Lewis and Clark carried air guns on their travels into the unknown northwest. I think it was Guns and Ammo.

Shotgun Red

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:42 am 
Utility Grade

Good news!!!

My brother in law has found the manufacturer of the 20ga air shotgun in the Philippines. The owner passed away, hence the loss of communication a few years back.

The employees continued to run the shop/factory and can still make this model at an affordable price.

I'll set up the import procedures to get it here. It will take more than three months for the red tape and ship, but I'll let you know how it performs.

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Try this airgun forum. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537 it is Fun supply's airgun forum. Those guys over there really know their airguns. they could point you in the right direction. I've seen topics on air shotguns over there before.
-John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:14 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks John,

I'll see if I can learn more about air-shotgunning from them...

Cheers,

John

John

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:16 am 
hey

this might not be what your after but...... you could always make a "spud gun" (pneumatic works best) then slide a wad down the barrel..... load as many shot as you want in it.... another wad on the top.... and you have a gun that will shoot hard and fast

my spud gun based on the 'pac 3' at http://www.xinventions.com/main/spud/pac3.htm will shoot an inch long peice of plastic pipe packed with wax right through a coke can filled with water from 20 feet away... so i think small birds and animals would be very hurt if not killed by one