CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Remington's 887
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone know much about this gun. I was planning on buying a 870 this week, but I just saw the 887 I kinda like the way it looks. Anyone have any reviews? Let me know.

Post subject: re: Remington's 887
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

You actually saw one, or did you see an ad or something.

If you have actually seen one you are ahead of most of us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Just seen a picture on the remington website.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 am 
Field Grade

I think this is Remington trying to steal buyers from the Benelli croud. Kinda like Ford with their Focus trying to take buyers from the imports. If you like the gun than go with it. But if there is one thing everybody knows, it's that the 870 is a machine that won't stop. And I'll take that over a Focus or a Hundai any day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:34 pm 
Field Grade

I handled one at the Pheasant Forever Fest in Madison, WI. I don't understand it and wouldn't buy one instead of the 870. But that's my take on it.

It's your typical reinvention of the wheel marketing ploy to my mind. I'd stick with the 870 in all of it's variations over this new offering.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Reviews in "Guns and Ammo" and "Shotgun Sports" this month. More reviews to come per their articles. This gun is put out for the waterfowler in mind. Pretty much not for pheasant or clay shooting. But, I guess you could use it for whatever you want. 3 1/2" chamber.

Styling in line with Benelli or Stoger.

Said to be imported, its home isn't Illion NY as the 870's.

Don't thing it will carry a heavy price and I'm willing to bet it will be cheaper than a Nova or Super Nova. In $$$$$$ not Quality.

Post subject: Re: Remington's 887
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I know for a fact its not promoted to be an imported gun. I work for Remington Arms in Ilion, NY. They assemble the 887 right across from my building station. The gun was primarily made to be a gun that handles the 3 1/2 in shell at a reasonable price, not to mention the ArmorLok ensures this gun will never rust. It does come right now either all black or in a Max 4 HD camo for us waterfowlers who hunt in some crappy weather. The gun itself is extremely light and can be compared to the Super Black Eagle in weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own an 887 in black. I'd say it could be used for upland or waterfowl because it is lighter in weight than the typical 12ga 870. For the price of this gun it will be very hard to beat. Having been a former Benelli Nova owner I will say the 887 handles much better and does not have the forearm rattle of the Nova plus the 887 has a much better recoil pad than the Nova. If there is a chance of ugly weather predicted on a day I go hunting this fall the 887 is going with me. I like this gun period.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I agree with pashotgunner. For the price the gun is unbeatable. I have a nove myself and the one thing that bothers me the most is the constant shaking of the fore end. The 887 is a solid gun built for one purpose, "Killin some GreenHeads" ^77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

LawDog79 wrote:
Anyone know much about this gun. I was planning on buying a 870 this week, but I just saw the 887 I kinda like the way it looks. Anyone have any reviews? Let me know.

Here is a quote from a review on Guns and Shooting Online:

"What I can say is that this example of the Remington M887 NitroMag is the worst shotgun I’ve tested in the last decade. It is an embarrassment."

According to this review anyway, this gun might have a few bugs that need to be worked out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

One guy thinks it's the cats meow, another thinks it's a POS! They can take their reviews and shove them. Most of those clown doing the reviews don't know squat. Just BS'n for the sake of an article. I'd go by the word of some of the Remington site regulars here long before any review I read. I'm not in the market for one but, within the next month or so there will be alot of stuff on here about them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gosh Spankey, tell us what you really think. :lol: :lol:
I think we have run out of ways to make a repeater, and so now we are in to repackaging, and cost reductions in manufacturing, and marketing, in my opinion. It obviously looks a lot different than a Wingmaster, so they may sell some to those who like the new/different look. More power to them. Feel exactly the same way about the Vinci, and the Maxus, etc. What any of them do that their predecessors didn't is hopefully to make the maker more money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 am 
Crown Grade

I went to the Local Gander Mtn and asked if they had sold any of them...they said maybe one and had a few more in stock...my only gripe is where the button is to pull the fore end down...it seemed a bit awkward since im used to the 870

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 am 
Utility Grade

I promise this has to do with the 887 if anyone reads it through....

So I'm in the market for my first shotgun. I've been scouring the internet for weeks reading opinions on various guns and have also been to the local shop to check a few of them out. So what I've come up with so far:

I WANT AN 870 WINGMASTER AS THIS IS THE GREATEST AMERICAN PUMP EVER MADE PERIOD EXCLAMATION.
This seems to be almost taken as fact in almost every site I visited. Obviously there are some who would disagree but the overwhelming majority agree so that is good enough for me.

So great I know what I want. I go check it out and it's beautiful and perfect and great but....$700! I guess I didn't know what I was getting into. $700 for a pump seemed expensive especially when around the corner is an 11-87 autoloader for the same price. Hmm....auto-loader should be better right? Back to the internet for that whole debate....blah blah blah...not getting into details but OK I still want the Wingmaster because it will just flat out work and last forever and it just feels American and right.

So now to problem 2. How do I get an 870 wingmaster on my $400 budget? Well there's a big CRAPOLA on my Wingmaster dream. But hey maybe since it's my first gun I'll settle for the 870 express. After all they are pretty much the same gun right? (Ok I know they are not but they have the same design and should function similar.)

Right when I'm thinking I'll have to settle for the express the 887 enters the picture. Does it compare to the Wingmaster? Not even close. But it does make a pretty convincing case against the express. I'm not a fan of the whole plastic gun look but I'm also not a fan of the new laminate wood stock on the express. That wannabe stock to me might be more embarrasing than the plastic look of the NOVAs and the 887. At least with those you've owned up to the fact that your gun is ugly.

So what I've decided is both the 887 and the 870 express are nothing nice to look at. I like the durability factor of the 887. Not having to worry about rust is a nice plus. Being that this is my first shotgun and I may not know how to treat it yet the 887 definitly makes a case for me and falls in the the sub $400 price range.

I'm still waiting to hold an 887 but I think it's a fair fight between the express and the 887 and the 887 on paper has the advantage for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Why not save up for what you really want?

Think ramen noodles and selling plasma----lolol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

Emoney- I just bought a wingmaster 2 weeks ago and It's so awesome. I was reluctant as well to spending $700 on a pump gun. I price matched and got mine for 640. If the wingmaster is what you want do what cap says hahaha...but I felt if i bought an express or another gun for around 400, I would have kept saying I shoulda went big and just bought the wingmaster.

I have had a look at the 887 and it looks good, I like the emphasis on durability and the fact that its seems unbreakable. But with any of the guns you mentioned, you can't go wrong.

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

emoney, if price is the issue, you want your 870 now and you live by a Bass Pro, you might want to take a look at their Fall Hunting Classic sale starting Monday.

They are offering a $30 Remington rebate on 870's, plus $25-$100 off if you purchase with a Bass Pro Visa plus an additional 10% off if you are just opening up the Bass Pro Visa.

If I am calculating correctly that reduces the price of a new Wingmaster from $700 to $555 and the price of an Express from $310 to $226.50. The Wingmaster is still twice the price but both are great values.

I don't really need another credit card and am not trying to push Bass Pro but am considering buying one (or two) 870's for one (or maybe both) of my teenage boys.

I have only seen online pictures of the 887 but from the postings online it does not seem to be winning over either the 870 fans or stealing many Nova fans from Benelli. I guess time will tell.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:10 pm 
Utility Grade

That Bass Pro deal sounds nice. $555 is definitely much more reasonable. Unfortunately I don't have one too close to me. They are building one about 2 hours away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Whatever you buy will be fine. I own my share of Remington shotguns. Wingmasters, 1100's, 11-87's and Expresses. The Expresses are a decent guns for the money if you can get in on the rebate. I happen to like that matte black finish on my turkey gun and scoped rifled slug version. I like my non-plywood version. Wood type on them ? I don't know. It's dark and flat. Perfect to me. I think of these as my special purpose shotguns. My Expresses are from the early 90's ('91-'92). Not my favorite Remmys. I own a 12 and 20 gauge 11-87 wood Premiers, I mostly shoot targets (skeet s/c) with these. Most of the time someone who wants to go shooting with me this is what I give them to use. The 3" capibility is nice. They don't break. They seem to wear in, not wear out. The wood on these are fantastic, the best field grade wood I've ever seen on a Remington. The only reason I bought them was because the price was so damn good. Still I don't understand why they pushed them out for such a low price. They are great guns for the money but, still not my favorite Remmys. My Wingmasters and 1100's........what can I say...........these are my favorite hunting shotguns. They are from the late 60's to early 80's, if I die tonight I'd like them thrown in the box with me because if there is another life after this one I want to enjoy my small game hunting. The Wingmasters and 1100's they're classics, they fit, cycle smooth, don't break, are fixed chokes, a pleasure to hunt with. I had and still do have many, many enjoyable days with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For $400 you could get a great Wingmaster, used. I got my sixth 870 last year (long story). A 1976 edition 12 gauge Magnum Wingmaster, in 95+% shape, for $245. Seriously you had to look real close to see a mark anywhere, and then all there was was the bluing on the mag tube where the fore arm runs and you lose the bluing in 2 boxes of shells anyway. I picked up a Light Contour RemChoke barrel for $175, and I love it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next