CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Remington's 887
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 am 
Limited Edition

I got to fondle an 887 at Gander mtn. last weekend and I fell in love. I am a diehard waterfowler and this gun just seems perfect. I also fondled the Nova and they shoulder and handle just about the same. The price is what won me over.....plus, its a Remington.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:28 am 
Presentation Grade

emoney. I just bought a Wingmaster Skeet Grade C made in the 1960s for $402. It is an absolutely beautiful gun and you would have to look hard to realize it is not brand new. IMHO these old Wingmasters are better made guns than the new ones. In fact I understand that the only way you can buy a skeet grade c today is from the custom shop. If you are patient there are some great used Wingmaster out there that fall within your budget. Happy shopping

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm 
Field Grade

I went and looked at an 887 yesterday and I loved it,lightweight with the double bead fiberoptic sights, shoulders great and the futuristic look had me,this gun just looks mean and for $325 I had to buy it. Shot 10 rounds through it today, just to see how it shoots,everything worked great, no jams or problems of any kind & it didnt have the kick I expected, it patterned good for a 3.5" chamber with the #8 2.75" target rounds I used, gonna take it tomorrow to a target shoot and see how she does, well worth the money to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

i looked at one at cabelas yesterday 339.00 was their price, anyway it shoulderd nice not awsome but nice the weight i would say is about 7.1/4 lbs. it felt good but the slide action seemed alittle hard to pump like overly tight. and the action release located on the front of the trigger guard is a cool idea for right and left handed shooters. i just need to know if the safty is the same as an 870 safty that way i can change it to a lefty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 am 
Utility Grade

Hello Folks!

This is my first post and I felt this was a good place to start!

I am the owner of 5 different shotguns of which 3 are Remingtons. I have 2 wingmasters, one for clays/dove (nice wood stock and too pretty to shoot ducks with) and one that I built from parts with synthetic stock and powder coated metal to give it some protection when I drop it in the lake as I seem to do often. Both of the 870 WM's are great guns but when I checked out the new 887 this week....the weight amazed me! I'm not sure how well it will shoot a 3.5 mag without kickin' the fecal matter out of you but it is an attractive option for upland game and waterfowl. The light weight would be great for long days carrying a gun. And the price isn't bad either.

Just my $.02!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

For those who have only seen the 887 online, i will be getting mine tomorrow and taking it to shoot some clays. Will let you know how it works out. It doesn't weight that much i think, i only took it for a couple of seconds. We have an 870 and its great but i was going to need a waterfowl gun this season and another 870 didn't seem a good idea(i mean two guns that look alike). I started to look around and at first i wanted a stoeger condor competition then a stoeger model 2000 with the camo on. Then i saw the 887, and i wanted the 887 with the camo on, then i changed my mind again. I said to my self why pay a hundred and thirty or so bucks for the coat of paint and i went with the black one. So went to bass pro, bought it last week, getting it tomorrow, the total price was 343 with or without taxes, i think am not sure. Stoeger is a good brand and its backed up by benelli but remington, you can always trust on it, at least i think so :D . Plus i like the futuristic look on it and the relief that if something bad were to happen to the shotgun i know it is going to be allright. i don't want to go hunting with a gun and go thinking if it gets wet or if it falls and it breaks. So will be reviewing it during the waterfowl season after some shots go through it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Handled one yesterday for the first time---awefull --just awfull---felt like I was holding a 4x4 fence post--------The Nova blows it away in ergos and would still be my pick in a plastic shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Yesterday went to the range. Shot some clays with the 887 great. Didn't feel a thing. We shot two round of clay each my dad and i. Took my dad's savage o/u and i wish i hadn't, my shoulders are killing me. I think i wasn't holding tight against my shoulders or it had some massive recoil on it :D . I am new to shooting so i shot 9/25 clay, my dad used it and shot 18/25, and keep in mind we have not been in the range in like two years. Again is a great gun, fits me well, as to recoil the pad works great. When we got home, cleaning wise, i only had to clean the barrel, that was the only thing that was dirty or i had to worry about. Now the savage i had to clean not only the barrel but i had to make sure there were no hand prints on the barrel or it would have corroded. Only complaint about the 887 is that remington during the manufacturing process sent the wrong plug that allows three shells to be put in the magazine. So i got to get me a new one or i won't be able to shoot waterfowl or migratory birds. Guys if you are on a tight budget and like remington i would recommended, if you want to go hunting and not worry about your gun getting damage from weather or misuse get the remington M887. I am sorry about you guys who don't feel the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

There's a great spread on the 887 in this month's Field & Stream. It compares it to the 870 and shows the pros and cons of both...it looks like a legit shotgun to me. It's being advertised as being durable as hell while maintaining precision. For the 870 vs. the 887, I think it comes down to personal preference...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 am 
Tournament Grade

So far the 887 works great. I didn't get a plug with it because the guys at Bass Pro forgot to put it in the box. I called remington and in three days i had it at the door, great customer service they have, they only asked me for the serial number and walla, they sent me the plug. About two or three days after i got the plug, i got a call from bass pro to pick up a plug and i told the guy that i already had it, i should have said no and would have gotten another plug. I took it duck hunting on september 26 opening day in florida for the early september season and fired 8 shots throught it, didn't get anything but that's my fault. When about three weeks ago, second day of dove season in florida and fired 32 shells, didn't get anything again not the gun's fault. I had four occasions were i pulled the trigger and heard the firing pin but no shot, i wasn't pumping the shotgun all the way through, it was my fault with the excitement of how many doves were coming my way. I took it last week dove hunting here in south florida and put another 18 shots, in the second shot i got my first dove ever, then missed all the others because the were flying high. This weekend we are going to hit the doves again let you guys know. So far is great, haven't had a problem with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:21 am 
Crown Grade

JDiaz wrote:
So far is great, haven't had a problem with it.

Are you sure? Not hitting is a problem. When I got my very first shotgun (a Remington 11-87 Premier 12ga 30" barrel) I promptly went on a killing spree. My very first shot was with IC choke installed shooting blue rem/peters 1 1/8oz light field #7.5's. I took out 7 black birds in a tight formation and many,, many more that day. I later switched to full choke and used it for most of my hunting growing up. Sure I've missed many times at everything I've ever shot at, but not as much as I hit. All I had ever done prior was shooting some hand trap with the neighbors 1100. Not a heck of a lot neither. Maybe a 100 rounds total in a in two summers. I wasn't by far seasoned or that experienced prior to getting my first shotgun. I wouldn't have thought remotely good in any form, but I hit more often than missed out of the box. I realize no to people are the same and you just need to get your bearing with the gun. But maybe you should see just where your shoots are going from it on a pattern board with the loads you use. Might be surprised to find it is different than you expect it to be. You then could apply it for hopefully better success with your gun and grow from there. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hitting is a problem, yes, but is more my problem than the gun's. I haven't pattern the gun, and i know, i know that is the first thing you got to do. I know that some shotgun do better with certain brands of ammunition than others. But the thing is, the closest gun range that i have, i don't know if the allow patterning your shotgun. Their is one that it allows it under the discretion of the range officer but is a little far for us, hopefully if we go there soon, and there is no other place to do that, if i lived in a farm then that wouldn't be a problem. The reason i am missing is because this is my first time dove and duck hunting. I have hunted rabbits before but that is way easier. Also i was shooting the doves too much in front of them. Last week when we went in my second shot i shot one and i just pointed a little in front of the dove and took my time. The rest i missed because the were flying high and i knew that they were not going to come down, and it's better to shoot them than just watch them going by.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

JDiaz wrote:
Hitting is a problem, yes, but is more my problem than the gun's.

Probably, but not necessarily. The choke tube could be off centered. Not like that has ever happened. If your SOL pattern testing anywhere it you might just take it clays shooting. Smoked targets your right on and mediocre breaks your not. It would help you at least get the dynamics of the swing down and better for you to estimate the lead in relation to your POA and its POI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe you had better check the bore (barrel) to make sure it is straight. There have been a few problems of the barrels on the 887's coming out slightly bent. This info is NOT from personnel experiance but from one of waterfowl forums I frequent.

I have heard that the threads for choke are tapped in the plastic sheath not the actual barrel, can anyone with a 887 confirm this for me?

Magnum Hunts
Northstar Outfitters
PS Zink Calls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

I myself fell in love with the gun. Have it sence sept 13 and shoots fine. There was one thing that i had found when i took out the choke tube, there was rust where the tube ended. Took sometime to clean but had no trouble other than that. Cleaning this gun is very fast and easy. I know that this is a new gun and people would be very carefull in not to be the first to buy it. All i have are rem and never had any trouble with them. Like the add reads you can wipe them in your dog, they are that good.

hope that helps.

Last edited by kenneth g on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 pm 
Crown Grade

bardern wrote:
I have heard that the threads for choke are tapped in the plastic sheath not the actual barrel, can anyone with a 887 confirm this for me?

I tried to pull the choke out at the one in the store to confirm. It started to move hard. It didn't feel like it was riding inside a metal barrel. It felt like it was cross threaded in a plastic barrel. I left it be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

The choke is in with the barrel, i have felt the threads with my finger while cleaning it, it doesn't go into the plastic. The gun shoots fine guys, my dad shot a round of trap with it and shot 18/25. I shot 9/25, i think it's me. I think i have mentioned it before that i am young and impatient and also a bad shooter. With time and practice i will improve, hopefully.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 am 
Field Grade

JDiaz is right. 2 incs down the barrel is where the plactic ends, just enough for the tub to fit. It is hard to unscrew because rem don't put any choke tub lube on it. If anyone is buying the 887 LUBE the TUBE or you will see rust. Boy did i get ripped off i payed $700 for the one i have in black.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I paid 374$, without taxes i think. 700 bucks thats a lot of money. Where did you bought the gun ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:56 am 
Field Grade

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and the markup to ship it here is nuts. I think that the camo 887 is $900.00 and that for me is just of the wall, but the gun looks realy good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next