CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vertical forend grip.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Is it better to have a fornd grip that is slanted back such as this...

http://www.sogarmory.com/Product.aspx?P ... arentId=50

Or a vertical grip such as this...

http://www.sogarmory.com/Product.aspx?P ... arentId=50

I have a vertical one on my AR and I like it. But between the length of the 870, the recoil, and having to work the slide, I'm not sure if it would be comfortable on the 870.

Post subject: re: vertical forend grip.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

personal preference. I'm going to go with a vertical grip personally... if the money ever starts to flow again so I wouldn't hang around for a review from me any time soon... :(

Post subject: Re: vertical forend grip.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

soupisgoodfood wrote:
But between the length of the 870, the recoil, and having to work the slide, I'm not sure if it would be comfortable on the 870.

I have a VFG (stubby) on my AR also but only use it as a hand stop. I think a VFG on an 870 would be horrible, but have never tried one. What's wrong with holding on to the forend?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

I personally don't see these as a good choice on a pump-gun. Old fashioned? Nah, I think the TacStar grips (fore and aft) look good on a shotgun, just wouldn't want to have it on my own fore-end.

Saw where J. M. Ramos built up a Remington Model 870 in Small Arms Review to resemble the layout of an M-4. Looked fancy, all the goodies attached to it. Looked heavier too. Had a Vertical-type grip on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:49 pm 
Limited Edition

forward pist0l grips are great at reducing muzzle rise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:29 pm 
Field Grade

I tried one on my mossy 500/ knox specops.
With the barrel/action being free to recoil 3/4 of an inch due to the recoil absorbing design of the stock, the grip was painful to use in the traditional manner. Whatever was directly behind that grip caught it worse than a pistol grip only shotgun. it kinda works if you use the grip to pull rearward and down, but its not even remotely as practical as on a carbine.
With a traditional stock, I could see that it might be something for somebody... but not me.

Post subject: Re: re: vertical forend grip.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

abinok wrote:
...With a traditional stock, I could see that it might be something for somebody... but not me.

VFGs can have an application on a pump, BUT: you need to understand what/why/how of the pros and cons.

Pros:

VFGs can be useful as a handstop for recoil mitigation when used with the push/pull method.

They can put your hand in a consistant spot to operate a weaponlight.

They can make a squared-up stance more comfortable for a smaller statured shooter.

Cons:

Longer VFGs are a hazard as far as bumping/snagging the action.

They increase the likelihood that one will "twist" the forend, binding up the action.

Mr. Murphy likes long VFGs

==============================

What I have on the gun above is an S.O.G. full size VFG cut down to about 1.5" tall to minimize snagging/bumping and any tendency I may have to torque the forend.

On a carbine, I generally use a magwell hold, and do not like VFGs at all. On semi-auto shotguns, I don't see them as necessary.

YMMV.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use the Hogue PG Forend on my 500. Happens to match the Pistol grip of my Butler Creek Folding Stock..

I find that the PG Forend helps manage recoil and allows me to shoot with the stock folded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not a fan of VFG's on AR's or shotties.I like to read the reasons why ya'll like them,however.

FMD,your post was very good.I like your reasons for using them.Makes solid sense.

VFG's are just not my thing.I do like the "badass" look.Thank God we still have personal choices.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't like them because they interfere with the natural pointability of a horizontal fore end. I like to point my thumb at the target. It is sorta like shooting pool, I just know where the shot will hit even when firing from the hip. A vertical fore end messes with my ability to adjust up and down as I loose orientation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I understand the issues with using the knoxx stock with a VFG, same reason they list on their site that users of the surfire flashlight forend have reported 'discomfort' during recoil...

however, has anyone tried a VFG with the Mesa Tac recoil buffer installed? I would assume that if you were to use the 'push-pull' method of shouldering a shotgun that has been described on this forum that you would still end up with all that recoil in your forward hand. However if you were to pull in with both hands the buffer should take the recoil and the rearward movement of the weapon should release enough tension to allow the bolt to unlock so that you can cycle with the recoil... perhaps?

Really, I'm just curious if anyone has reported similar discomfort with the mesa system as they have with the knoxx.