CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE Lewis & Sons
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'd be appreciative if I could get ± date for this beauty, and an opinion of approximate value, would be sweet.

GE Lewis & Sons, 32 & 33 Lower Loveday St, B'ham. s/n 16001 grip, forend iron and bbls. 30" barrels, 3" chambers boxlock extractor wildfowl & pidgeon gun; Greener action with hidden 3rd bite and dollshead; raised machine-cut rib with brass beads (2); sideclips; well-executed engraving, with mallards on left, pigeons on right, rest of action including the fences in medium, well-executed scroll; Deely forend. The action was originally blued, surely, as traces of blue colour remain in shaded areas, but there is almost no wear on the metal.

Bores are .729 and chokes are .695 and .687 (!) I doubt this gun has been shot a case. It is tight, stiff, lever right and sounds like a Perazzi closing.

It is Birmingham proved: 12, BV, BP, NP, diamond 12c, 'Nitro Proved', 'Choke' and 1½oz. My Wirsnsberger seems to have walked off. Are these the 30s Rules, or the 54?

The recoil pad is crumbly, but appears original, with two lines of 'brickwork' cutouts and it has a round POW grip.

Thanks,

GS

Post subject: re: GE Lewis & Sons
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like you have found a 'sleeper'. From what you say about the Proof Marks they look like the 1925 rules. It would be normal for a gun like this to have the action case hardened and maybe the blue you are seeing is the remains of this. It does not take a lot of time or use for case hardening to dull or disappear.
No idea of values in the US but it will be a desirable piece.

Post subject: Re: re: GE Lewis & Sons
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sans Peur wrote:
Sounds like you have found a 'sleeper'. From what you say about the Proof Marks they look like the 1925 rules. It would be normal for a gun like this to have the action case hardened and maybe the blue you are seeing is the remains of this. It does not take a lot of time or use for case hardening to dull or disappear.
No idea of values in the US but it will be a desirable piece.

Thanks!
I did examine the action more closely, and through a polarizing filter. Yes: Case Coloured.

I wish I could say I bought this at a jumble sale for $10, but alas, I bought, a-purpose, two differently-configured wildfowl guns from Mayberry in Christchurch for £800± with the intention of selling the one I like less, and 'modernising' the one I like more: forcing cones (so I can shoot all lengths of shells) and well-relieved fixed chokes, or perhaps Brileys.

I found my Wirnsberger, and am unsure if the rules of 1904 or 1925 are applicable. It is marked 12 and nor 12/1 or 12/2, but the chamber IS marked 3" on the flats.

The gun has the 'feel' of a pre-war gun or one made in the late 20s - made completely in-house - but does not look or 'feel' like a post-war or depression 'assemblage'.

I also noted, today, the barrels are 'London Fluid Steel' and are marked with L in a diamond as maker.

Again, thanks.

GS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Heh ... a sleeper you say?

I just saw this on www.gunsinternational.com
http://www.gunsinternational.com/GE-Lew ... =100059006

It is not quite my gun - mine is 30", extractor, raised rib v. 'game' - but it is the same gun. Mine has more coverage.

I think WR-USA is having sex with cartoon characters with their 'ask', but ...

Interesting.

GS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 am 
Field Grade

GS

Von Lengerke & Detmold was importing GE Lewis guns in the 1920's. They added Lewis guns in the 14,5xx range to their inventory in 1923 and guns in the 15,xxx range in 1925. Assuming a fairly constant rate of manufacture, your gun may have been made about 1929 or 1930. In most cases the guns were added to inventory shortly after manufacture.

Bob Beach

Post subject: Re: re: GE Lewis & Sons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Bob Beach wrote:
Von Lengerke & Detmold was importing GE Lewis guns in the 1920's. They added Lewis guns in the 14,5xx range to their inventory in 1923 and guns in the 15,xxx range in 1925. Assuming a fairly constant rate of manufacture, your gun may have been made about 1929 or 1930. In most cases the guns were added to inventory shortly after manufacture.

Bob Beach

Bob, thanks, I appreciate it. That makes sense. It's an awfully sweet shooter, and I'm fixin' to make it sweeter, still, at the known 'expense' of just ruining it's 'value' by modifying chambers and chokes.

GS