CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marlin 120
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

From what I've read about this model it was made in France and only carried the Marlin name. Does anyone have any additional information about this pump shotgun that they would like to share? It appears to be of the '70-80's vintage with pressed checkering. The barrel is 28" with a ventilated rib. The bluing and wood are easily 98%. It is in just beautiful condition with very little signs of use. The jeweling on the bolt is barely scratched and the bluing on the magazine is barely worn so this pump hasn't been cycled much at all. The price is very attractive and the owner has indicated that he will drop the price another $25.00 which will put it below $200.00 if I will pay cash and take it NOW.
Probem? It's a 12 gauge of which I already have 3. A Winchester 1897, A Remington 870 Special Field and a Mossberg 500. I was hoping to make my next purchase a 20Ga. but the temptation may be too strong. This is one fine shotgun. All steel as far as I can tell. It has a really odd latch release that will take some getting used to but other than that, this one is just begging to be adopted. Help, I'm on a slippery slope here......
Don

Post subject: Re: Marlin 120
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

dflorida wrote:
From what I've read about this model it was made in France and only carried the Marlin name.

Actually, the Marlin 120 was made in the U.S. at Marlin's plant between 1971 and 1984. I am too lazy to tally the figures up but it looks like around 100,000 were made.

The French-made "Marlin" was the Marlin Premier Mark I, II and IV (no III, apparently :wink: ). LaSalle (Manufrance) made them and they came on the market in 1959; looks like around 13,741 were sold, they were offered until 1963.

Source; "Marlin Firearms" W.S. Brophy

Post subject: re: Marlin 120
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, thanks for that information. It's nice to know that this model is a US product. I own several older Marlin lever actions so I know that they were capable of producing this type of quality at one time. I appreciate the feedback but I'm still up in the air about this one.
Don

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't have much experience with them, I just haven't seen many.

This is because IMHO, usually a U.S. gun has to hit some high production figures or fall in a certain catagory to be sold here. The reason being, our market is much smaller then the U.S. market, if a company can sell all they make in the U.S., it isn't worth the trouble selling them here.

I think this is why we don't see any Ohio-made Ithaca's or new SKB's here, for instance.

I was nicely into shooting when the 120 came out. I liked Marlin lever guns, large bores and the 39 so I was quite pleased to see this new, all steel pump come out.

I remember seeing pictures of the 120 Trap and wanted one back in the 1970's but they only made 289 of them.

I have not seen them in use or known anyone who has put a lot of rounds through one so I don't know their reputaion.

I think on item on the detrimental side, marketing wise, is that when they were introduced, people were becoming more interested in lighter field guns and the 120 is pretty heavy.

I would have liked to see them prosper but it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Claydust,
Thanks again for a wealth of information. I think that you're probably correct about manufacturer's making their product available to our wonderful northern neighbors in most cases. I suspect that the current problems with Ithaca, SKB and most others is that demand for anything that shoots and ammunition has gone off the scale since the November elections.
I attended my first gun show since the election in late February and was astounded at the lack of selection for AR-15 clones for instance.
Even parts kits were back-ordered with no shipping date confirmation from the manufacturers. It has been a banner 4 months for the firearms and ammunition industry in the US with no end in sight. Even I am on a loooong waiting list for a new Ithaca 37. How long? The dealer can't tell me since he hasn't received any shotguns from them since last August.
Oddly enough, one of the guns that I looked at and thought about purchasing at the February gun show was an older model 37 in 16 Ga. with a ventilated rib that had been added on at some time. The serial number was in the 200,000 range. It was about an 85% gun with no identifiable mechanical issues and surprisingly good wood. The dealer was asking $179.00 but I decided to just wait for a new one. I may regret that move.
One of my prized possessions is a Marlin 1895, 1974 issue with a factory straight stock. It is such a joy to shoot and is lethal on feral hogs. I had a 444 Marlin for about 6 months. Boy, that thing was just plumb nasty on both ends. I've actually given myself a nose bleed after an afternoon at the shooting range with that one. Not from getting hit in the schnoz with it either. Just a lot of recoil that ultimately built up enough to rupture a small blood vessel in my sinus cavity.
Oh well, decision time tomorrow morning on this issue.....
Don

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I only saw one of those Marlins ever. A trap shooter had it
in New Jersey. It appeared that Marlin made it look as much
like a model 12 Winchester as possible, but it sold for a
smaller price. I think they were good guns. If I ever come
across one in good condition, I would also be tempted to
pick it up. THey even also came close to calling it a model
12 by just adding a zero onto their designation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Marlin 120 pumps turn up from time to time. I've handled a few field grade models over the past 5 years or so, but have never been bought one. They seem well made, but spare parts may be hard to come by, even from well-known sources such as Numrich.

Less than $200 for a real clean M120 sounds like a great price. If it has a 28" barrel, it probably has a fixed MOD choke, which is a useful "all around" choke.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

Many years ago I almost bought one of these Marlin shotguns new.Did not buy the shotgun but think maybe I should have.

A fellow I know had one with I believe was a 40 inch barrel on it.Not a typo ,40 inch barrel.Must ask him if he still has the shotgun the next time I see him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

I,ve had 2, sold 1 gave the other to a grandson. Good guns the one I gave to my grandson was an early one cut checkering. the long barrels were in 2 lenghts: originalyy 38", then 36". I still have the 38" one. The 1 that went to grandson was a 28" that I had TruChokes installed. Was a great duck gun for the blind. They are on the heavy side though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

DA & 28 gauge,

The Model 120 was designed to resemble the Win. Model 12. It was produced from 1971 through 1985. A Trap model was offered for two years ( 1973-1975 ). And yes,
a field model was offered with a 40' barrel.

doppelflinten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Interesting, never hace seen the 40" bbl. Have seen 36 and 38s, all full choke plain bbls.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bought one a year or two after they came out. Nice looking gun but it would never reliably cycle 3-inch shells while duck hunting. Took it back to dealer but dealer's gunsmith could never get it cycling right. Dealer replaced it with another 120. It wouldn't cycle properly either. Traded off the gun.