CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 3/4" vs. 3" shells for deer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Why is it that people insist on a 3.5 inch shell for geese to increase range and make up for the lack of energy in steel shot and for turkey to give a nice, dense pattern, yet insist on using a 2 3/4 inch slug for deer?? It seems to me that people always choose the lowest powered shells available for deer. When choosing buckshot for deer, 9/10 hunters seem to pick the 2.75 inch loads with 9 pellets, as opposed to the 2.75 inch with 12 pellets, the 3" with 15, or the 3.5" with 18. Sure they make 3" slugs for deer, but the 2.75 inch is by far the most popular. Why?? Surely, not everyone uses 3.5 inch magnums, but they are rapidly gaining popularity.....-Matt Latham

In school? In your home? In your town?
Would you just turn around?

Volunteer Fire/EMS - Join NOW!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Dunno...I am still shooting 2 3/4 inch 12 GA almost exclusively...

Never feel the need for more than that...

I seldom run into people that shoot 3.5 inch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

I talked at length with Randy Fritz (Tar-Hunt) about this not long ago. What limits a shotgun is chamber pressure. The high velocity slugs in 2 3/4" are pretty much maxing out the chamber pressure with great accuracy. The 3" slugs are using a slower burning magnum powder to gain a slightly higher muzzle velocity (sometimes), however, the 2 3/4" seem to be more accurate and many are actually faster than the 3" mags. Check out the ballistics on some of the newer sabot slugs in 2 3/4". I don't mind the recoil at all and have shot almost every slug out there to find the best performing out of my gun. So far the 2 3/4" have been the most accurate, fastest, and hardest kicking. I don't hunt with buckshot and know very little about it.

Post subject: Re: 2 3/4" vs. 3" shells for deer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:01 pm 
Field Grade

a 2 3/4 has the smallest roll crimp and fastest burning powder.
i have yet to find a 3'' shell with as much power/volocity .
but new for 2004 winchester has made a 3'' part gold with a 2000 fps volacity and 3450 ft/lbs of energy.