CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Higgins Bolt Action Owners Please Read
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

The Sears recall of the 12 gauge bolt was pretty much bogus (BS) The claim that the bolt hit the person in question was due to his own misconduct for not making sure the bolt stop screw was in place. Check your bolt stop screw whether you have a 12, 16 or 20. If it is in and tight you do not have to fear the bolt coming out. Many a good gun were ruined by this recall by the new anti gun run Sears.

The bolt stop screw is at the top left rear of the receiver where the bolt slides back and forth. Go to http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sear ... index.html and click on the number for your model (the 583.xx number) under Sears Factory Reference. You will then get a PDF of the original parts manual that shows the bolt stop screw's location better than I can explain it. You can also download a PDF of the owner's manual as well. I found this to be great reference material since I did not have them originally.

My 583.19 20 gauge works perfectly (was listed in the recall) and am considering finding a 12 if the bolt has not been returned to Sears. These are excellent firearms made by Hi-Standard and they did not participate in the recall.

Steve

Post subject: Re: JC Higgins Bolt Action Owners Please Read
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

spurple wrote:
My 583.19 20 gauge works perfectly (was listed in the recall) ....

The way I read the recall notice, it applies only to the 12 gauge guns. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 0000884021

Post subject: re: JC Higgins Bolt Action Owners Please Read
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

I know that when you call Sears they say it only applies to the 12 gauge. I was just stating the fact that the model of my 20 was also on the recall list. As stated in the link you listed:

Quote:
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., March 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears, Roebuck and Co.
(NYSE: S) today announced a voluntary recall of J.C. Higgins Bolt Action
12-Gauge shotguns, a product manufactured for and sold by the company during
the 1950s.
The shotguns are being voluntary recalled due to a potential problem with
the bolt latch assembly, which could cause the assembly to fail allowing it to
dislodge and strike the operator in the face. Sears is offering a $160
finders' fee for the return of the bolt, making the shotgun inoperable.
The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the
"J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. It was
carried under a number of product numbers: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16,
583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 and 583.22. The product model number
is engraved on the barrel of the shotgun.

583.19 is listed in the link you sent. 16 gauges are as well. Lots of flaws by Sears here.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am 
Limited Edition

So is the 20ga forsale or not? e-mail mikem@tls.net

Post subject: Re: re: JC Higgins Bolt Action Owners Please Read
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

spurple wrote:
583.19 is listed in the link you sent. 16 gauges are as well. Lots of flaws by Sears here.
Steve

That model number is listed, but only the 12 gauge version of that model. The 16 and 20 gauge guns of those models are not subject to the recall.

Quote:
.... recall of J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge shotguns....

Quote:
The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the "J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. (emphasis added)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am 
Field Grade

Seamus O'Caiside,

Apparently, you do not know the JC Higgins model numbers. 583.17 is the 12 guage, 583.18 the 16 and 583.19 the 20. There are no 12 or 16's with the model number 583.19. Sorry, but it still stands that the recall notice still contains other gauges besides the 12 in the model numbers. I refer you and any one else to http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sear ... index.html to learn the models and look at or download the manuals for each.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:14 am 
Utility Grade

The missing screw story is certainly plausible.

If it was the screw why not all of the Models 10, 11 and 14 in all three gauges which all had that same screw.?

However I have photographs of a J. C. Higgins Model 10 with a fractured receiver where the primary bolt retaining lug rested. and I have a failure report that says the receiver failed as did the secondary bolt retaining lug.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Can the 20 Ga shoot a slug round?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

I have a recalled 12Ga, that I have fired slugs through. It didn't blow up, but it does have a full choke, not ideal for firing slugs.

These models are junky guns anway. The saftey was designed by a monkey and where the stock rests against the receiver, the wood is thin and deteriorates, to where the trigger won't function properly.

Not a great combination for something that can kill (in more ways than one). ;)

It's pupose is for show-and-tell only, anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am 
Utility Grade

Here is a copy of a failure report by a High Standard engineer on a Sears J. C. Higgins Model 10 - 583.16.

Here are photos of a different Sears J. C. Higgins Model 10 - 583.16.

Note the stock is broken from teh gasses that eescaped when the bolt blew bac.

Note the light gray fracture sone where teh part of teh reciever that locked the bolt broke off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"That was the oldest horse I've ever seen in my whole life"
(Ancient man to Tom Cruse's charactor. outside tent bar in "Far and Away")
........ :) Art

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Some enterprising reader may want to search gunshops and flea markets to find these shotguns, in order to sell back to Sears for $160. I think they originally sold for $39.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 am 
Limited Edition

gold40 wrote:
Some enterprising reader may want to search gunshops and flea markets to find these shotguns, in order to sell back to Sears for $160. I think they originally sold for $39.

There was a time when this was possible, and there was a period of about a month when the recall was first issued when buyers snatched up the guns which were going for about $75 at the time. There are a lot fewer left now and I don't think Sears offers the full $160 any more. IIRC, they only offer a $50 store card now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Even if there was no question of safety about the Sears bolt action shotguns, there's no way I'd own one, shoot one, or want one, at any price.

The only reason any cheap break action single shot or bolt action shotgun ever existed was that the original buyer was either too poor, or too cheap, or just didn't konw enough about shotguns to buy a decent shotgun.

Wal Mart sells brand new Maverick 88 shotguns for under $200. These guns are safe, handle decently, will last a lifetime, and are a pleasure to use. There are better guns than a Maverick 88 to buy, but the Maverick is a decent, usable, repeating shotgun that is capable of getting off quick follow up shots. They even have choke tubes, three inch chambers, and will handle steel shot.

I can see where somebody who grew up with one of those old bolt action guns might grow fond of it. But they are not to be recommended to anyone doesn't own a shotgun. They were cheap and clunky when new and are worse now. The design is totally obsolete, and you'd only be happy with one compared to no shotgun at all. Compared with any modern pump shotgun from the Maverick 88 on up, these old smokepoles are not a viable choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:18 pm 
Utility Grade

SuperXOne, I can't say I'd really disagree with anything you stated. They are NOT what I'd call a first choice gun. But I do have to note that there are a few quirky guys (and gals) Like myself, as I am one, who would buy those kinda "off the wall" firearms that yes, have been surpassed by much better options over time. I just picked up a 583.21 16 ga. in oddly enough almost newish condition. Did I need it? No. Do I think it looks good? No. Neither is it what I'd call a smooth working action/firearm. (IE: slow) Comfortable to shoot? No, not esp. And I'm not one who minds usual recoil a bit. BUT, I bought it because it only cost me $25 and I'll buy most anything at that kinda price all day long. Even if something does not function properly I can always part it out and get the $25 back and usually more. (I bought a lot of four guns for a $100 bill) So no harm no foul, as I see it. Now having said all this, yes I shoot it. And now, while I can't do it as much as I'd like to of course, it's still oddly satisfying be able to go clay bird shooting and beat a few guys with it now and then just to see the disgusted looks (LOL) and to hunt with it (And some of my other odd ones) successfully and know it's they are still doing what they should as they should, even if they are an ugly duckling. Odd, I know. Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:46 pm 
Utility Grade

natman wrote:
gold40 wrote:

There was a time when this was possible, and there was a period of about a month when the recall was first issued when buyers snatched up the guns which were going for about $75 at the time. There are a lot fewer left now and I don't think Sears offers the full $160 any more. IIRC, they only offer a $50 store card now.

Correct sir. I called the number and it was $50 for the bolt. The # is 1-800-817-9165 if anyone would to like to verify what they have. For the 12 ga. only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sears figured out there really wasn't an issue with the guns. Amazing, because they have been trying to go broke since they quit printing a catalog 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:42 am 
Utility Grade

Of all of my fathers guns, I inherited his JC Higgins 20 g bolt action. I know it was made before 1950, probably 1948. He never ever had an issue with it, and it still works. He did have to have a new bead put on it when I was in elementary school which was many many many years ago. I know that when he had that done, they were no longer selling them. It is NOT for sale, and will probably never be used again, though I am quite good with shotguns. I know this gun was used a lot and the grandsons used it for target practice, or maybe even to hunt on the farm. It still looks pretty good for being over 60 years old. Nobody has said though how much the gun is worth, just curious. There is no way anybody should give up a gun like that for $50. I've seen pitted guns go for more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

I just discovered this thread. I found it since I am recovering from a broken leg and was going through the site. I have lots of time but am very confined since I cannot place any weight on my broken left leg for about one more month. I usually go to the reloading area only. Like many writers here, I inherited one of these shotguns from my late father seven years ago. Someone gave it to him-my father did not like guns and he was a police officer for 30 years! Figure that out -I never have. Anyway, the J C Higgins bolt action shotgun I inherited is a 16 gauge gun. I have never shot it but do not consider it as a family heirloom. I love guns, own quite a few, reload and shoot much skeet, pistols, and rifles.

If I am reading the posts correctly, Sears was paying $160 for the bolt but is now paying $50. That payment is going the wrong way- given their possible liability. I am confused though about the recalled gauges. Has the 12 ga been the only recalled gauge or have the 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns all been recalled? I probably could sell it for more than $50 at a gun show and I would not have to pay the postage to mail the bolt to the company. Sears does not seem to be too concerned about the recall with only a $50 payment.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Only the 12 gauge was recalled.