CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: texas loader
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:40 pm 
well i received a texan loader model D-11 from my uncle, he never used it got from my aunt as a present, it has dies for 12, 16, 20, 28 and its in a nice mahogany stand/case i know these aren't made anymore but does anyone know about them. specifically about the shot and powder bushings output, i have the paperwork that goes with it but i dont know how up to date all this info is. im figuring on just getting a load recipe i like and measuring that powder out with the scale until i find the right bushing. if anyone has info about this loader thats important to know id like to hear about it thanks - GF

Post subject: Re: texas loader
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

From what I remember, the Texan was a good machine. I may have some "old" info if I can find some of my old Handloading Digest books. But, I think you have a handle on what to do. I'm not sure about bushing sizes, but I have heard somewhere that Pacific/Hornady bushings are the same outside dimensions and as such will fit the machine. That doesn't help with your markings though. This might though. All Hornady/Pacific bushings are numbered in thier decimal measurement. i.e. A 500 bushing is 1/2" or .500, and a 444 measures .444". Get a dial calipers and measure your holes and if the bushings are the same depth as the Hornady/Pacific, and I forget just this second what that is, you could do some crossrefrencing just to get yourself close. I'll check the size of the bushing after I get home and let you know if you are interested?

BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I did measure the Pacific/Hornady bushings. They are 1" high, so if your Texan bushings are 1" you can do some comparisons. If not, I have a couple old Winchester data booklets that have Texan bushing charts in them.. However; thy are all with obsolete powder numbers. However, the booklet also has tables for Pacific, Lyman, MEC, P/W and Bair bushings. If you let me know what size bushings you have and maybe what powder you are thinking of using I can cross refrence it to a MEC or Pacific bushing of approx. same charge of same powder and then cross that bushing to a modern available powder. NO, this isn't an exact science, no bushing data is, but it will give you some place to start and a realistic expectation of what you will get. My wife has a scanner that I don't know how to use, but if you like, maybe I can scan the WW Texan chart for you and you can do the interpolations yourself.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:07 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Call Hornady toll free--1-800-338-3220 and ask for information. I believe that the Texan loaders use the same bushings as Hornady and are basicly the same loader as a 366.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:07 pm 
If somebody could, wha its the outside diameter of the hornady bushings, i measure the outside of my texan bushings at 13 /16ths, the height is 1 inch also, if i needed to i could work the outside down if i got some of those hornady bushings - thanks GF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I am not sure about the d-11, but I have several of the texan-fw reloaders. I have replaced all the charge bars with universal powder & shot bars. The texan & mec use the same charge bar. They cost about $25-$30.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Hornady/Pacific/Ponsness Warren bushings are 1" high and the powder bushings are 0.8" in diameter and the shot bushings are 1" in diameter. They are interchangable between those reloaders as a minimum.

I've seen a poster in different forums like this that goes by the name of skeetx that has a lot of Texans and knows alot about them. You might try to find him. He's obviously a Skeet shooter --and from Texas.

Terry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:22 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

WRONG!! Pacific powder bushings are not .8 in dia, they are .875. They may indeed be the same as the Texan, but they are not .8 in dia.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt,
You're right and that's what I measured and then wrote .8. My error, sorry.
Terry

Post subject: Re: Texas loader
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

In todays mail I received an old book I bought on line and in it is a Texan shot and powder bushing chart. If you have a model 'FW,LT,A,AP,D,or DP' you use the "A&D" column. The 'M' column applies only to model 'M' loaders. Powder bushings are lettered A through Z. Drops for Alliant formerly Hercules and IMR formerly DUPONT should be the same. Shot bushings are numbered 1 through 13 with a #3 being one (1) ounce and a #4X being one and one eighth (1 1/8 ) ounce. If you post back that you still need this info include your E-Mail and I will attempt to scan and send this page.

http://www.gcbluerock.com

Distributor for Downrange Mfg.

http://www.downrangemfg.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Okay,

I just measured and the Texan shot bushings are 0.875" and the Texan powder bushings are 0.810" in diameter. Both are 1.00" high.

No, I don't have a Texan and never have but 30 years ago there was a guy in my area who converted MEC charge bars to hold Texan bushings. That way you didn't have to buy a different charge bar for different charge weights.

Which leads me to a question. Anybody know of any current manufacture powder bushings that are 1.00" high and 0.810" in diameter so I can pick up more that will fit this bar? I'm pretty well stocked up on Texan shot bushings.

Thanks,
Ka6otm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:18 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

No, but they wouldn't be all that difficult to turn down, actually come to think of it, it would be far easier to just make new ones than to turn down existing ones. Different mandrel for different sized holes and all. I'd say get the bar bored out to accept the more or less standard .875 Hornady/Pacific/ Bair/ Posness-Warren bushings and be done with it. You could make an addapter to fit MEC bushings in the bar too. Lots of ways to skin a cat!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks every one sounds like i have a lot of options now ive got to give one a try- GF