CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIO Shells
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I've come across an ad for RIO shotgun shells, a division of UEE. They are inexpensive shells but I've never heard of them before. Does anyone have expierence with these? Are they OK? Are they trash?

Post subject: Re: RIO Shells
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Love 'em. I'd shoot the Top Sporting 1oz loads all the time if I could find a reliable source. Don't plan on reloading them.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Bill: I've probably shot over 20,000 of them in the last 6 yrs...great shells, not too dirty, and do the job if I do my part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

are the Rio hulls junk for reloading?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:19 pm 

+3 and then some! Get 'em while they are hot. Natchezz shooter supply offers them by the case. I have shot them for a long time now and I cannot complain. Very clean, consistent, and nary a failure to fire or feed. You will be pleased. Cannot comment on the reloadability however as I don't reload.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

sernv99 wrote:

Yes.

Six-fold crimp, Euro-sized primer pocket, straight-walled, and cheap plastic.

I won't stoop to pick one up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are a good inexpensive new shell. I will, from now on, reload them only when I can't find AA's, REM's or Federal's. They are good for 1 reload and then the folds split.
I called Kevin at DownRange about testing some loads and he said they are crap.Nuff Said

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

They have a load with 1 1/8oz or 1 1/16 oz of 8's at about 1250 fps - that I like as a "throw away" hull - especially if I'm shooting a semi-auto. They've been fine / and I shot 4 or 5 cases of them last year.

I would not try and reload them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

About a year ago, I grabbed some Rios and Kemens in .410 for $80 a flat. They were both absolutely fine from a Citori 525 and a Win Model 42. Still got a few flats left. I will be very sad when they're all gone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great shell at a reasonable price. They have a good range of 1 ounce shells also.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 am 
Crown Grade

Good shell for the money. I like the 1oz loads for sporting clays and trap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:18 am 
Limited Edition

Very good I've shot 1000's of them over the years, mainly their 1 oz load, with great results.
Also very good in 20 gauge .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I've shot about 2,500 of the 1 1/8 oz. sporting clays loads in 12 ga. I think that they perform really well. However, they sometimes cause problems with my autoloaders. I am pretty sure that it is the shell and not the gun because I have never had any other hangup with any other shell, and I have shot a lot of them--AAs, Federal Promos, Winchester Universals, Game Loads, etc. However, for my o/u, they work great.

Elliott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In about 15-20 flats, I've had exactly one FTF.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot at least 20,000 Rio shells, probably more, and I have never had a problem that I can blame on the shells (which is not true of the Winchesters, Remingtons, and Federals that I have shot).

In practice, I use Rios because they are cheap. In competition I use Rios because they perform well.

The only thing I could criticize Rios for is, in cold weather (anything below 50 is cold to me) I sometimes get an off-sounding shell, but they still break targets. Also, they sometimes flash fire out of the ejection port of an automatic - other brands will do that, but Rios seem to do it more often. I don't consider either of those "problems" to be serious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:59 pm 
Field Grade

My uncles and I use Rio's for sea duck and turr hunting. Usually go with the 3", #4 and 5 lead loads and haven't had any major issues at all in the few years that I've been at it. 4-5 boxes per trip is the norm, and I average about 20 trips out a year (the uncles get out a lot more than me) so that's quite a few shells. I use a Browning BPS and a Mossberg 835, the uncles have 870 Wingmasters and BPS'...depends on if we're decoying and shooting from shore or staying in the boat. I might've had a few mis-fires, and I don't recall the uncles mis-firing at all; you know how it is when the shooting starts :D

We start in October with Turrs, and Eiders end the 3rd Saturday in February, so all the hunting is in cold, windy, rainy, snowy conditions. The shells usually get wet because we're always either on the water or laying on shore very close to it, but surprisingly the number of issues are very few.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Location: New Jersey(where the goverment knows whats best for you.)
I shoot about 5 or 6 cases of the Rio 12 ga. 2 3/4 dr.eq. 1 oz #9 a year. Never had a misfire. Great load for the $ They work great in my o/u, but maybe 1 in 50 rounds ejection or feed problems in my auto. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

sernv99 wrote:

Called a kemen dist today about some ammo he said he has RIO now and they are made by Kemen I have reloaded kemens in 28 ga before but only once maybe twice if your lucky the brass doesn't hold up well after one or two loads. I shoot kemen all the time and have no issues with them. they run 55-57.00 per cae for the 12's and 75-78.00 per case on the 28 ga.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sernv99 wrote:
Called a kemen dist today about some ammo he said he has RIO now and they are made by Kemen ...

That's not true. You could say Kemen is made by Rio, but actually Rio and Kemen are both made by UEE. Rio is UEE's "house brand" and Kemen (and a whole lot of other brands) are made by UEE under contract.

http://www.ueec.es/Ingles/AcercaUEE/UEECartucheria.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm 
Field Grade

Big Shooter wrote:
+3 and then some! Get 'em while they are hot. Natchezz shooter supply offers them by the case. I have shot them for a long time now and I cannot complain. Very clean, consistent, and nary a failure to fire or feed. You will be pleased. Cannot comment on the reloadability however as I don't reload.

Natchez doesn't ship to Tenn, Alabama, and Georgia.

Any other online retailers?