CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Oil For Semi Auto ShotGuns
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone use Mobil1 0-20W oil for lubricating there semi auto shotguns?

Post subject: Re: Best Oil For Semi Auto ShotGuns
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:33 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I've found that the best lubricant for an auto is Breakfree CLP.

http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've found that unless the weather is below freezing, that what oil is used on a semi auto makes utterly no difference worth mentioning. WD 40 is usually the handiest, and most available, but it could be anything. How long it will "last" is academic, because the gun is going to need cleaning before it needs re-oiling, anyway.

Below freezing conditions alter this a bit. Break Free advertises that the Army uses it under a wide range of temperature conditions. But, I find the best thing to do in very cold weather is to wipe off all excess oil, and use fairly "hot" loads. Shotguns don't like really cold weather, and neither do shotgun shells. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
I've found that unless the weather is below freezing, that what oil is used on a semi auto makes utterly no difference worth mentioning. WD 40 is usually the handiest, and most available, but it could be anything. How long it will "last" is academic, because the gun is going to need cleaning before it needs re-oiling, anyway.

Below freezing conditions alter this a bit. Break Free advertises that the Army uses it under a wide range of temperature conditions. But, I find the best thing to do in very cold weather is to wipe off all excess oil, and use fairly "hot" loads. Shotguns don't like really cold weather, and neither do shotgun shells. :)

Isn't WD-40 a penetrating oil and therefore a no-no?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Guys I will say this for semi-auto's I think that if you use any oil on your guns then wipe it so that there is very little oil on any of the gun is the best. with that said I use LSA oil. in the cold and very littel of it. never had any problems even after dunkin the gun under the water just let the beads freeze in just a few min. then work the action 2 times and then your ready to shoot, the beads of water freeze and working the action pushes the frozen water right off the gun. becuz of the very thin oil job. and like I said never had a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have only used BFCLP year round and it works great.

Last edited by goose2 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At the risk of starting a ten page thread,,,,WD 40 works as a gun oil. It may or may not be the best, it probably doesn't lubricate as well as other brands,,,,but the stuff will work. As will used motor oil. Or cooking oil. Or anything oily. Most of us have our favorite brands,,,but all of them work.

The big trick is get a shotgun working when it's damned cold. Too much oil will screw up a shotgun every time in frigid weather. Break Free CLP,,,,or some other very high viscosity synthetic oil,,,,applied very sparingly with no excess,,,,is your best bet when it's below zero.

Or, you can stay inside and play with your shotguns. I can stand cold weather now about as well as I did thirty years ago,,,but I get to where the desire to go out in the cold weather is lacking. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
At the risk of starting a ten page thread,,,,WD 40 works as a gun oil. It may or may not be the best, it probably doesn't lubricate as well as other brands,,,,but the stuff will work. As will used motor oil. Or cooking oil. Or anything oily. Most of us have our favorite brands,,,but all of them work.

The big trick is get a shotgun working when it's damned cold. Too much oil will screw up a shotgun every time in frigid weather. Break Free CLP,,,,or some other very high viscosity synthetic oil,,,,applied very sparingly with no excess,,,,is your best bet when it's below zero.

Or, you can stay inside and play with your shotguns. I can stand cold weather now about as well as I did thirty years ago,,,but I get to where the desire to go out in the cold weather is lacking. :lol:

Ditto, except I slightly prefer G-96. BreakFree CLP is easier to find, though, and I've used it on occasion. BF CLP and G-96 are both good stuff, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The down side to WD40 is that as it ages it also dries out and leaves a sticky film behind. I've not seen such residue from Break Free CLP of from Corrosion X (a local favorite) or from RemOil.

When you do have a very wet gun, WD40 is a good first step to move the water (disperse) prior to cleaning and re-lubing with some CLP/RemOil stuff.

As noted, over lubing is a bad thing--especially when in very cold conditions.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer the G96 also. I would go to Break free next, then rem oil and no WD-40 for me.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use RemOil now, but I used to use WD-40 and/or G-66 (predecessor og G-96). I always spray and wipe off most of it, whatever it is. My 1100s have always been fine down to minus 11 degrees F, even with Blue Dot. Any colder than that and I think the ducks are going to get a bye from me from now on anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:05 pm 

In very cold tmps the type, amount , and location of the oil can and will make a difference in ther cycling of the gun. Good oils would be the likes of CLP, FP-10, and Militec. I've heard good things about the G-96 but, have no experince with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use remOil for all my gun cleaning/oiling... No complaints... It works great...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another G-96 fan ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't mind WD-40 as a bore cleaner, but that's with the barrels off the gun. Unless a bore is heavily lead-fouled, it does a surprisingly good job with a 10 minute soak or thereabouts. I don't use it on the receivers. My next-to-last bore patches are dry ones, and my my last bore patches are ones lightly spritzed with a CLP, usually G-96, but BF CLP or RemOil if I'm out of G-96. Bores are looking great.

For an exterior protectant, I can heartily vouch for G-96. I've used it for about 10 years now on all my guns, and not speck of rust on any of 'em. I also keep a small bottle of BF CLP in a spare cleaning kit behind my pickup truck's back seat. I have to give the stuff props. It's never gummed up and has come in very handy. I've used the spare kit for its intended purpose, of course, but also have pulled out the CLP to decrud some poor buggers' corroded battery posts when they needed a jump start or to free seized up locks and other parts.

G-96, BF CLP, RemOil have all done well by me. The key, I think, to winter applications is a very light application on moving parts.

Last edited by MGF on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

CLP when it is over 40 degrees, Rem-Oil for below 40

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 am 
Presentation Grade

Another G 96 fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I thought most shooters got the word and stopped using WD-40 years ago as it will gum things up very quickly, I would rather use Pam.

I like and use both Breakfree CLP and Slip 2000 and carry a can of Rem Oil in my bag if I'm in a pinch operating my Autoloaders and sense the bolt speed is slowing. The Rem oil is a quick fix and gets to where it needs to go without taking apart the gun being that it's viscosity is so thin. As a main stay lubricant the Rem Oil with its light viscosity doesnt last long under heavy use so I don't use it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't clean my semiautos very often, and I have found that RemOil will gather powder residue and form a sludge which leads to cycling problems. Breakfree CLP is not nearly as bad about that.

Any motor oil, even 0W-20, is way too thick to use on a semi. You might get away with it if you shoot in warm weather and clean the gun often, but it is not a good choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 am 
Tournament Grade

What about that Remington Drylube for cold weather? Would that not work well?

There's another household lube on the market called Jiga-loo. I think its a silicone based lube. It does wonders on stuff around the house, and they in their ad it can be used on guns.