CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best autoloader???????
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 am 
Utility Grade

I'm switching to an autoloader for hunting (mostly pheasant and duck). What is the general thinking nowadays on which is the best gun for the money? I have a few friends that love their benelli's. I've always liked my brownings alot..
Just looking for some opinions from the "experts"
thanks a lot
bob

Post subject: Re: Best autoloader???????
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am 
Presentation Grade

My vote would be a Benelli SS, have owned a couple 11-87 Remington and they are nice guns, but the point ability and feel of the SS is better "to me". They clean in a 1/4 of the time, are fairly adjustable and will handle any load you want. I use mine for trap, birds, geese and shooting T shot Dead Coyote loads. They come with all 5 extended crio chokes and they pattern well with a lot of different stuff. You know it is strictly opinion and yes I think they are worth the money. You don't see many used ones for sale.
We have the 12 and the 20.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Check out the Winchester Super X3; great gun, nice and light, soft recoiling and reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I would say a Browning Gold or Winchester SX3. You should look at the Browning Silver to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I currently own a Beretta Teknys, Browning Gold, Winchester Super X2 and a Benelli Super Sport. I do not hunt.

Having said that, my Benelli is the most reliable with every type of shell I have tried. It is also the easiest to clean. The Beretta the best target gun (weight and balance), and the Super X2 the best buy. Softest recoil is a tie between the SX2 and the Gold (they are nearly identical gas operates autos.)

Final answer...but whatever you like that fits your budget.

Consigliere of the Muller Mafia!
"Confidence breeds success breeds confidence, etc." - The secret of mojo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The one you shoot the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is such a subjective question as dlh711 said it's what fits you best and you shoot best.

I prefer the Benellis and I like a nice light field gun. I use either a 20 ga M2 or a 28 ga Franchi al-48. For waterfowl if it's no the M2 I have a SBE and a Beretta 390 although I rarely use that for much other than clays games.

I got to shoot the Winchenster SX3 and liked it. I hate the SX1 and 2.

I liked the Beretta extrema it shoots well I thought.

Don't care for the weight of the Remingtons personally although lots of people swear by them.

Bottom line is you nbeed to shoulder and shoot as many different guns as you can and decide which feels best.

Where are you located bob?

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 pm 

Welcome to SGW. There is no one best auto loader for everything and everyone. If there were, we would all be shooting that model.

You need to decide how much you want to spend as that will eliminate some models. Also try to decide what features you want in this gun. Holding as many models side by side with different barrel lengths is always a good way to find out which model/s feel the beste to you.

The fact is that there are many models that may work well for you and your intended uses. For example here are some models that I like and could work well for you.

Benelli M2/M1 is Inertia operated. They are light in weight and very easy to clean. The have an automatic magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds four shells total and more if you add an extension. Most 3” field Inertia models are not usually the best choice for light target loads. Benelli Cordoba is also Inertia operated. They are similar to the M1/M2 with a few differences. They are thinner thru the forearm and hold five shells total. They do not accept a magazine extension to hold more. They have a two piece receiver which can make cleaning slightly easier. They are better for cycling lighter loads than the M1/M2. They only come in B/S and camo finishes. Their barrels are also ported which ay not be too good for blinds and boats with blinds. Beretta AL391 is gas operated. They are fairly light and have very thin forearms. They have an automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock back lever, and shims for the stock. It holds four shells total and cannot accept an extension. Their barrels are slightly overbored. This design is more complicated to clean than most. Browning Gold is gas operated. They are fairly light and pretty easy to clean. They have the speed load feature, stock shims, and a magazine cutoff switch. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. It holds five shells and more with an extension. The forearm/receiver junction could be much better than it is. The Evolve, Fusion, and SL models are similar to the standard Gold but are very light in weight and balance with more weight towards the stock.

Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers (390 angled/3901 rounded). They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge. Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most. Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It has stock shims available for it from the Gold FLD (Classic). They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features. It can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. They have the same gas system as the more expensive Gold’s. Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep. Franchi I-12 is inertia operated. Weight wise they are about average and balance with more weight towards the stock. It is one of the easiest semi autos to take down for a through cleaning. They hold five rounds and can take an extension. They have shims for the stock, automatic magazine cutoff, and a cartridge release lever. They do have a very modern look and are not the best choice for light target loads. Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two. Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind but, can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock. Winchester SX3 is the same as the SX2 with a much lighter weight, thinner forearm, stock shims, and a more modern look.

There are a few new models that are coming out soon in the Benelli Vinci and Browning Maxus if you have time on your side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I like my browning gold. Negatives: crappy paint on aluminum receiver (I like steel).
crappy aluminum receiver gets worn a little by shell hulls ejecting.
the barrel is hard to remove from the---once again, crappy alum. receiver
Likes to be cleaned every 6 or 8 boxes of shells run through it.
good: holds five shells, points and feels great, NEVER hangs up.

I like my dad's benelli super BE but don't like the feel of plastic, and have seen it hang up. I also don't like the little tiny lever that closes the bolt and the college degree that's required to load the thing.

I don'l like the berettas and have seen them hang up as well. I think they're ugly, too, with that vent thingy on the forearm.

Just my opinion,
JBJ :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun for the money? No contest. Used 1100 or 11-87, depending on your needs. You can get a good one for well under $400. If you need 3" and versatility, an 11-87. If you don't need 3", or care too much about versatility in a 3", an 1100. I have a 1963, 12 ga., 2-3/4" 1100. And four other 1100s. I can hardly remember all the guns that have come and gone before an since I got that first 1100. It is still going strong, and I have never had any other gun that I liked better, or that worked more reliably. And that gun has killed a many a duck, and a few pheasants.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I totally agree that for me the older Remington 1100's are by far the best autoloader ever made. I have a 1979 12 Ga that I purchased new in '79 and have thousands of rounds through It without a hitch, ever. Keep it clean and lightly oiled and It will serve you very well. I also own a Browning Gold in 3.5, a Winchester Super X 3 in the new Turkey gun, a Ruger Red Label in 20, a sweet 16, an Ithica Flues 16 featherweight, etc, but my old remington 1100 is still my go to gun for hunting, and shooting in general.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 pm 
Field Grade

For me it's the Remington1100/1187. Fits me well and I like a steel receiver. I have three 1187's and one 1100.
They all function extremely well with light loads, even when dirty.
After hearing some posts on some of the forums, I consider myself lucky getting good ones......four times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Steve!
Anybody knows the auto-5 browning is the best automatic ever made! :wink:

I think the 1100 is a nice fair-weather gun if it's not worn out and kept clean.
Definitely worth the money or they wouldn't have sold so many. But not as reliable as an auto-5.

Exception: the lousy 3" mangle-em auto-5 hangs up with 3"shells. Not JMB's fault though, he didn't design it for 3" shells.

I'm just wondering, but I had a Daiwa that I really like that has a chrome-lined barrel. anybody else had any experience with these? If I find another one that's in good shape with a modified choke, I'm buying it (bro-in-law talked me out of my old one).

Don't get a Charles Daly auto gun. My crazy bro-in-law bought one for himself and his son and both of those guns wound up chopping the finger lever off the bolt with heavy load shells. One a heavy shot 1 7/8 oz. load and another a 3" steel load. The factory did fix 'em but........

JBJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

I've got a 12 gauge SX2 and a 20 gauge 11-87. Both are good reliable guns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 am 
Diamond Grade

:lol:JBJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree that the A-5 is an excellent gun, but my 1100 has NEVER failed me no matter what the weather. I hunt in NH both on the coast and inland on beaver ponds and lakes, from early October until January on the coast, and have shot skeet in the middle of summer, and for 40 years my 1100 has never failed to shoot or eject a shell in any condition. Now, to be fair, it is quite possible that if I had been hunting with an A-5 the same may have still been true, but I wasn't and my 1100 held up without question.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

In my experience:

low cost: used 1100 (not as reliable as a 391 but otherwise great)

waterfowl: Xtrema or Browning Gold

upland: 391 20 gauge (For me a 3" 20 gauge kills like a 2 3/4" 12 but the 20 carries better)

target: 391 or Benelli Super Sport

I can't stand Benelli's with heavy field loads but enjoy them on the range quite a bit.

Have fun! There are a ton of great options out there. The above is based on my own experience and that of my friends. Don't hesitate to shop used.

Brent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

best gun for the money? As mentioned, Good Used (Nice, just what ya wanted) is always best, but never around when your lookin, a sacrifice somewhere, takes time ( I spent months lookin) , and good/ nice is usually neither cheap nor lasts long waitin for a buyer. I found any good/nice brandnamed shotgun to be Unbelievable $$$$$$$$ lately! But ya can get lucky.

Great values and discounts in New now! ( comparatively and time considered)
Just got a new Browning Silver, 3” chamber, my favorite bbl length, fit and feel, for what I thought was a good value (and with any tradein, a great value!) – And its already started out being a Great gun!

Of Course A5’s “Are” the Best Auto! But you can’t get a “Nice” A5 (or even Good) for what ya can get new Silver. Maybe hammered, beat, modified, mismatched serials, split stocked, or old tanks – but a Nice later A5 (with chokes and steel ready) – Ya Gotta get Real Lucky! I looked for months for just an average, normally worn, modern lighter, with chokes and steelready , field shooter A5 – and their not cheap – and not going down anytime in my lifetime. I shoot my best scores with an A5. I think it’s the straight line of the top of the receiver( not necessarily the humpback), but the straight line of the top of the receiver then narrowing (sorta pointing) down the vent and barrel just some how puts em right on target… (A longer straight sight path perhaps?) Nice Shooters, real easy to be behind. Oh Yea! – Browning Auto 5 - The Best Auto! (field proven worldwide)

But I wont take my “Nice” A5 to Real Field – Clays and easy Estate grounds only…
(Ya know, It’s a mortal sin mistreat a “Nice” A5)
But this Silver – Its Goin Huntin!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a new Benelli Supersport 20 Ga and that thing is a blast to shoot. I also have a SBE and great too. Ask around and shoot as many as you can and buy what you like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:42 am 
Tournament Grade

IMO, First you need to deside what type of shot you will use the most alloy,steel,or lead. If you intend or must use steel all the time it behoves you to get an overbored barrel that is chromed with choke tubes .Steel usually requires larger shot sizes(BBB,BB,B,1,2,ect.) & 3" or 3 1/2" loads to be effective on waterfowl.There are some people that hunt pheasant with steel also most use 2 3/4"& 3" -#2,#3's or# 4's.NOW,if you are going to use heavy stuff or lead you can get a regular barrel with choke tubes or choked.You can probally get a 2-3/4" gun and do fine,but most people will get a 3" gun. Depending on what you have to spend(new or used) there's 3 1/2" guns-beretta,benelli,browning, sx-3, 3" guns-beretta,benelli,browning,franchi,sx2, 2 3/4" guns -browning a5 ,franchi al48.I own all the above guns,except for sx-3.I shoot only Benelli's,Beretta's,A5 Brownings & Al48 Franchi's. I've taken many ducks & geese with A5's&AL48's-2 3/4" bismuth #4.My favorite pheasant gun is an AL48-12ga, 26",Fran chokes,with 1 3/8oz.-#5 (1325fps)handloads .I also own 390,391,extrema,BUL,monte,m1, compt.Best all round for $$-Beretta 390-3"-12ga-26" m/c. or Benelli m1 12ga.-3"-26"m/c. The 3 1/2"ones that do it all-Extrema 2 & SBE II. Look for used guns save some $$$,the only thing on these 4 that wears out is the owner!1100's a classic gun-had over a dozen-tin trigger parts-need to much TLC when worked hard, heavy, many ftf's. Good luck !!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you have FTFs with an 1100, my opinion is you just don't know how to take care of it. I am not saying it is the be all end all, or that it takes extrordinary maintenance effort. If you shoot something else better, fine. But, I have 5 of them, dating from 1963, and I never have any problems from 100 degrees and sunny, to dove hunting in a hurricane, to minus 11 in a blizzard.
I think any of the current designs will probably work fine if they are properly taken care of. Get the one you like the best. $10 spent on something you don't really like is a worse value than $500 spent on something you love.