CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7/8 oz 12 Gauge wads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been experimenting with several different 7/8oz wads in both Rem STS and AAHS hulls with Clays powder and a Fed 209A primer. I have used the DR XXL pink, the Clear Duster, and the Win 12L. They all work well and are nice to reload. I only want to load 1 wad and am pretty sure about which one, but would like to hear other reloaders experiences and their choices. Following are some of my observations:
1)The DR wad is the longest and really fills up the hulls, but the shotcup is the smallest and there is a little bit of shot that is above the petals. I can see that these wads are the best for 3/4oz loads, but I have a 28 gauge for that. I have had trouble with DR wads shattering in winter (I live in Minnesota and shoot when its around 0 degrees) except for their 12S3 copy which as an absolutely fantastic wad for straight walled hulls. Very smooth to load and now that there is a local supplier these would be the cheapest wads.
2)The Win 12L also loads very smooth, but about half the time it "pops" while going through my MEC wad guide - not a problem, but something I have never had happen before. This wad has the deepest cup and all of the shot is contained in the cup which I like very much. I can also buy these for $98/5000 locally, which is an excellent price.
3)The Clear Dusters are the shortest wad and this makes them very easy to load, and the shot cup contains almost all of the shot - more than the DR, but less than the AA. There is no local supplier so I will have to mail order a case and this puts them at around $95/5000.
I have not chronographed these loads yet, but it has not been much above 40 degrees here yet and I want to wait til it is 60-70 which is when I do all of my chronographing. All these wads load nice, pattern well, and shoot great. Opinions?
Regards,
Jeff

Post subject: Re: 7/8 oz 12 Gauge wads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I have been using the Claybuster clone of the WAA12L wad, the CB0178-12, with great results. I have zero problems with fit, crimps, cold weather, or any other variable. They simply work great in all AA and Remington cases.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 am 
Field Grade

My favorite 7/8 oz wad for Rem and Win hulls is theWAA12L. When their prices shot way up I switched to the CB0178.
I can get the Claybusters for about $70.00. I've read a couple of posts on this forum about some MEC users having a problem with the CB0178. Maybe some MEC users can chime in with their experience with them. They reload fine on my APEX.

I,ve reloaded a few Clear Dusters, but haven't shot them yet.

I prefer the XXL pink for 3/4oz.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:41 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I ended up with most of a case of Claybuster Lightning wads (CB 4100-12B) from a club member who was having trouble with the 8 petals and his Spolar machine. I use a MEC 9000H and just have to pay a little extra attention that a wad finger does not go up the shot tube. I'm using 16.4 gr Nitro 100 and a Nobel Sports 209 primer in a Remington black game hull. 7/8 oz mag shot fills the case and I get excellent crimps.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Last edited by jtclays on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Pray tell....what is the source for your WJII's? That's a good price delivered!

jtclays wrote:
JNW, I use those wacky 8 petal wads like BobK said, have for years. They make a perfect crimp with 7/8oz. with very little adjustment. There is a place to get original Windjammer 1oz. (WJII) for $70 delivered. These are actually "stitched" low in the cup and keeps them very wide open to load. I personally feel they are easier to put on the wad ram tube of a 9000 than any four petal wad. Others may not. JT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Dawson's list them at $64 a case, but shipping would drive them over $70 delivered.
http://www.dawsonent.com/page.htm?PG=rel/ammo

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
I have been using the Claybuster clone of the WAA12L wad, the CB0178-12, with great results. I have zero problems with fit, crimps, cold weather, or any other variable. They simply work great in all AA and Remington cases.

DLM

ditto on the CB0178-12s. I've also used the pink WAA12SL wads with success, but, as already stated, the CBs do the job well and are cheaper.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Last edited by jtclays on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

jtclays wrote:
newwindjammerwads.com

I'm not a dealer or related to anybody from here in anyway. JT

Anyone want to tell a computer challenged person how to make a link in your post?

Just click on this link:New Windjammer Wads

For future reference, copy and past the link into the address bar of your browser.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 pm 

jtclays wrote:
http://www.newwindjammerwads.com

I'm not a dealer or related to anybody from here in anyway. JT

Anyone want to tell a computer challenged person how to make a link in your post?

\
Change it to that

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Hello JNW,

I don't think you will have any problems with the XXL Pink wad in cold weather. One thing to remember in below 40 degree weather is you need a good "HOT" primer and a .055 deep crimp.

This is very important in light payloads.

Thanks
Kevin @ 402-463-3415

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I did a careful study of the Clear Duster in comparison to the Winchester Gray wad for 7/8 oz in 12 ga, with fps at about 1200. The wads performed the same. I found the same with 3/4 oz loads in 12 ga with those two wads.

Further, my personal preference for 7/8 oz in 12 ga is the old faithful CB pink wad, which is a 1 oz wad and is always on hand for me. Yes, there is a slight dish to the crimp, but they perform well in all aspects. Floyd in Vienna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

I absolutely second this. I have loaded and shot around 3K loads for skeet since last summer using the Claybuster CB-0178 wad, and they work great in both the AA and the STS hull. I've found the receipt I like using Accurate Solo 1000 and am sticking with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

Vie wrote:
I did a careful study of the Clear Duster in comparison to the Winchester Gray wad for 7/8 oz in 12 ga, with fps at about 1200. The wads performed the same. I found the same with 3/4 oz loads in 12 ga with those two wads.

Further, my personal preference for 7/8 oz in 12 ga is the old faithful CB pink wad, which is a 1 oz wad and is always on hand for me. Yes, there is a slight dish to the crimp, but they perform well in all aspects. Floyd in Vienna

Floyd, you said the clear duster and gray Win performed equally, but was it equally good or bad for you?

Also, do you get the Dusters locally? I would like to find a good local place to buy Dusters. thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm really surprised that noone has mentioned the Remington TGT-12 wad or the Downrange copy. I use this one wad for everything from 7/8 oz to 1 1/8oz loads with zero problems. I generally use Titewad in my 7/8 oz and slower 1 oz loads, then switch to Tightgroup for my faster 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. I dont have any problems with crimp depth no matter the load.

I should also state that I use Remington hulls for these loads.

bpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looked at the New Windjammer site. What is the difference in the "new" and Windjammer "Tournament" Wads by Altreack? I can't get the pictures to come up on the New site.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I load both the pink and gray Win wads for 7/8 oz. The only rap I have against them is the price, and you certianly seem to be able to get them at a good price. I pay one to two bucks a bag more. I can do without the long strips of plastic in the bore from the CB's. I think the AA's go through the wad guide easier ,MEC, but I can screw each up if I try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gregcm wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

I absolutely second this. I have loaded and shot around 3K loads for skeet since last summer using the Claybuster CB-0178 wad, and they work great in both the AA and the STS hull. I've found the receipt I like using Accurate Solo 1000 and am sticking with it.

I third it thats what i use by the thousands and have had ZERO troubles but i am a novice the expert Mr Marcum uses them so do I.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replys. Real world results are what tells, not theories. I have been reloading CB wads for over 10 years and they have always performed well, but the amount of plastic buildup in my barrels is amazing! I did not think this was an issue until I shot a bunch of DR wads in my gun - 1,000 rounds and virtually no plastic! This plastic residue must affect our loads somewhat, and I do not like having to ream out my barrel after every time I shoot, and I shoot a lot. So, looking for stuff other than CB.
Kevin - I only use Fed 209A primers in my 7/8oz loads to get good ignition year round, and it helps. I have not tried the pink XXLs in the way cold, but I shot a bunch of XL-1s this winter and while they performed well when I went out and picked up wads they were pretty tore up and it looked like they base had fractured. They were also dirtier burning than comparable CB, Winchester, and Federal wads I shot under the same conditions at the same time. I love the way DR runs through the machine, but I worry about them in the cold. As I stated before the DR S3 wads are awesome no matter what the weather. How about a Down Range copy of the Fed SO wad? I know, you already make lots of 12 gauge wads. I have tried other hobbies in winter, but I keep shooting my shotguns.
Regards,
Jeff