CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have a webley and scott
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

20 gauge (no alteration from original condition with absolutely FAB O LOUS wood. everything as new).
I have a rough i dea what its worth but want a another opinion what its worth here are some pics.
i AM interested in selling for the right price

Post subject: Re: I have a webley and scott
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:03 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Nice gun! Looks like a Model 720 but with better wood. It should be a quick sale in the $2000 area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 am 
Field Grade

i think thats a tad low as this one has much better wood than i've ever seen. most are for sale in the 3000 to 4000 class, aren't they? i see some as high as 5500?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Don't confuse asking price with 'worth' - especially on the auction sites.

That's a clean, nice looking boxlock from a good maker, but I would resist the temptation to make into 'treasure' because it has nice timber.

GS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

i understand, but 2000? when everyone else is asking late fours or five? help me understand this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

orthorepjack wrote:
i understand, but 2000? when everyone else is asking late fours or five? help me understand this?

I thought A5's top-of-the-head $2000 was a generous estimate, myself, for a rather utilitarian boxlock from a 3rd tier maker.

What do YOU think it's 'worth' and why do you believe a Buyer should part with many more dollars that ... say $15-1700?

It's your gun - ask what you want, on whatever basis you wish - but if there are ± identical guns NOT selling for fanciful sums ... the 'worth' has not been established.

Did you come to this board expecting smoke-rings be blown up your pants leg?

I paid far less for each of these than you intimate is "market" for your gun. And yes, the 2" Adkins is cased, also. I expected good wood - not to be pleasantly surprised by it being there.

GS

Last edited by goatskin on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

orthorepjack wrote:

They are having sex with cartoon characters?

GS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:16 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I am just posting about what I have seen similar guns go for. This is a nice gun with very nice wood. If I was interested, I'd start with a $1600 offer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Blue Book says all the W & S 20 gauges in 98% condition run from $1,600 to $2,500 range and subtract $100 for double triggers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

albanygun wrote:
Blue Book says all the W & S 20 gauges in 98% condition run from $1,600 to $2,500 range and subtract $100 for double triggers.

That is logic that never fails to amaze me - no matter how 'undesirable' double triggers are.

GS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 am 
Field Grade

goatskin wrote:
orthorepjack wrote:

I thought A5's top-of-the-head $2000 was a generous estimate, myself, for a rather utilitarian boxlock from a 3rd tier maker.

What do YOU think it's 'worth' and why do you believe a Buyer should part with many more dollars that ... say $15-1700?

It's your gun - ask what you want, on whatever basis you wish - but if there are ± identical guns NOT selling for fanciful sums ... the 'worth' has not been established.

Did you come to this board expecting smoke-rings be blown up your pants leg?

I paid far less for each of these than you intimate is "market" for your gun. And yes, the 2" Adkins is cased, also. I expected good wood - not to be pleasantly surprised by it being there.

GS

First of all quit being an A hole about it. i asked a question to try and understand logic where i cant find ANY, ANYWHERE for sale below 2500 dollars and its Not like their making them anymore, their still made in birgingham cheif. SO, i realize its NOT a purdy, but do think its WELL worth the same of what the cost of EVERYSINGLE ONE in this condition is listed for , i understand some people are crazy for asking 5500 dollars for one, so why even ask that for it if your trying to sell, just DOUBLE the value of the gun or in YOUR PROFESSINAL oinion TRIPLE the worth? It makes no sense??

YOU find me one in good condition for 2000 dollars, no matter WHAT bluebook says at ANY gun shop that sells QUIALITY doubles, or on the internet, and I'll understand your hostility, otherwise think about my question as to "WHY" when most seem to be alot higher, is mine worth less than all others are asking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 am 
Crown Grade

Several for sale at http://www.gunsinternational.com/Webley-&-Scott-Shotguns.cfm?cat_id=811

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 am 
Diamond Grade

First it is not hostility, it is resignation.

'Worth' is a market function: Econ 101, S x D = P, yannno?

If they are sitting on racks, either the price is too high, or there is insufficient demand, or there are timid buyers or ... utilitarian Birmingham boxlocks are an elastic commodity and there can be lots of substitution for a limited number of buyers, maybe?

Or maybe, that is the 'better' doublegun shops' business model, perhaps? A customer is wanting to spend $2000 and maybe they can be bumped to spend $2500? Or moved to a Sarasqueta? or ...?

A gunshop does NOT care if they sell THAT gun, as long as they sell SOME gun. An individual with a single gun to sell is a different category, completely.

A gun is 'worth' whatever a Buyer is willing to pay. period. And it does not matter how much angst or envy the Seller has - for whatever reasons: think Housing market.

Many Sellers are absolutely terrified they will leave a dollar on the table, so their lives are consumed looking for the next fool. Eh, their business.

You asked for opinions of worth and you got some. Three people here, more knowledgeable than me abt markets for mid-grade Birmingham boxlocks have spoken. Believe them or don't, but don't argue on the basis of what Griffin & Howe's or Hallowell's or John Boyd's business model is.

It's nice, useful gun you have, pleasurable to the hand & eye. Why don't you just shoot it ... or sell it for what a Ready, Willing Buyer will pay, and go get your next gun?

Put it on GB with a opener of $0.99, with no reserve and trust the market to establish 'worth' is my suggestion ... unless you are terrified that a dollar might be left in the Buyer's pocket? Or put it on GB with a 'buy it now' for whatever you think it is 'worth'?

In either case, the market will work.

See? Resignation abt having to explain Econ 101 to somebody who has two degrees.

Kindest personal regards,
GS

Last edited by goatskin on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the feeling that the Webley 720 is made in Turkey and branded as Webley & Scott.
Without disparaging this gun in any way I would consider that it is not in the same league(or price bracket) as the original Birmingham made Webleys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:40 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

A good way to tell where it was made would be to take a look at the proof marks. Even if it was not made in England but proofed there, the gun would be so marked.

I hope that I did not offend anyone. However, I still stand by my opinion of the value ($2000) and I still would not offer more than $1600 for this very nice gun. If the gun was, in fact, made in Turkey, I would have no opinion on the price since I don't deal in those guns. JMHO, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
Field Grade

as far as the link posted the LOWEST 20 ga i see is 2300, and most 720's are in the 4 to 5000 dollar class. I UNDERSTAND simple supply and demand, so i get that part, and how certain business models ask higher prices because they dont have to sell SOME guns, BUT i DO know that if you price things WAY to high and your business is SELLING guns, you will scare away potential buyers now and in the future. i bought it for 3100 4 years ago from Thad scott guns. It was listed for 3800. i've already had TWO offers for 3000, since i've posted this via PM. so APPARENTLY im not WAY off base. i wasnt expecting five , but this gun is now SOLD and i took 3000, so i must not have been TOO crazy, to think it was worth more than 1600, dollars. So thank you for those who were polite, and for those who hold a doctorate in EVERYTHING (tounge in cheek reference), i guess the MARKET was right! Thank you A5 you were polite and helpful, it was much appreciated. by the way it IS a birignham gun, not turkish made, i had hugh lomas check out the serial numbers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

See ... the market worked.

Congratulations.

GS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I picked this up from a 'Blue Book' Ad on Google - no idea of the date.

WEBLEY & SCOTT, LIMITED
SHOTGUNS: SxS, CURRENT MFG.
Currently, Webley & Scott imports a line of 700 Series SxS shotguns which are manufactured in Turkey. Current models imported into the U.S. by Legacy Sports include the 712 (MSR $3,477, 12 ga.), 720 (MSR $3,477, 20 ga.), and the 728 (MSR $3,644, 28 ga

I can say though that Webley's (in Birmingham) have not produced any shotguns over approx the last 25 years or more.
I think the name was bought over by Hollands in the mid 1980's and things went even further downhill from there. I know a few of their sales reps and I think the name of Webley & Scott is in the hands of at least the third owner or mbo since H & H dumped them.
Certainly in the UK an original Birmingham made 700 with full colour hardening and a nice stock in 20b would easily sell for £1500 (thats $2200 at the moment) and from what I can see of Stateside prices you could nearly double that without much problem.
Probably the fact that Webleys went belly up and are now selling a 'spuriously named import' is going to screw up prices in a big way until the market figures out which is which.

Loosing it big time - I forgot to put the Blue Book quote in on my original post :?