CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi AL 48 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:09 pm 
Field Grade

I am trying to find a gun that is light enough for my gf, and also the recoil is a factor...I am looking at a Franchi AL 48 20 guage, and I have read that the recoil is greater than most other 20 gauges due to weight. I have a few questions before i purchase:

Is the recoil less than a Beretta AL 390?

Does this gun shoot 2 3/4 shells

What is this gun worth in very good condition?

And last, Are parts for this gun difficult to find, or should this even be a worry?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Post subject: Re: Franchi AL 48 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

1. No, the Beretta is gas operated and will have much less felt recoil (along with Remington 1100/1187). The Model 48 is a long recoil inertial gun.

2. Yes, they shoot 2 3/4" shells.

3. Hard to say value....probably in the $350 ball park.

4. Parts are available through Franchi, but GOOD LUCK getting them. Franchi is by far the most difficult brand that I have had to chase parts for (my experience, other may have had better luck, maybe).

http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's about the lightest 20 you can get, and it is reliable, having been around since 1948 in various forms, but it will also kick you about as bad as any 20 gauge. Like most things in life, a choice is required. Whenever recoil is a factor I recommend a Remington LT 20, maybe even a youth model with the shortened stock, or a good Beretta gas operated 20 gauge. Your GF is probably used to carrying the "typical" 9 pound purse. A shotgun should be a snap. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I have an AL48 in 28 ga and although it is light, it has minimal recoil. It is also very reliable. If you reload, that might be the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

Tomorrow I am going to have her shoot the 1951 Remington Wingmaster 870 that I am cleaning for my father, which is a 20 gauge with no recoil pad, would this recreate a similar or hopefully harder recoil than the Franchi? I want to gauge this before I spend money on the gun, any gun for that matter...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A 1951 Wingmaster should be a lot heavier, therefore it should kick a lot less.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:45 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

If the 870 is of the same weight you will have more FELT recoil, all other factors remaining equal.

OK.....here's how recoil works. Think of the shotgun being fired on top of a scale. The scale is attached to moving scroll of paper with a pen or some other scribing device that shows the spike/spikes of recoil. Let's say that you have a solid breach gun that locks the shell into the chamber and you fire it. You will see a single spike on that paper which is short in duration and relatively high. Now, you fire an inertia gun....you see two smaller spikes over a longer duration, BUT both adding up to the same as the first solid breach gun simply over a slightly longer period of time. NOW, the gas gun. You have more smaller spikes over a much longer duration of time....but still adding up to the same as the first gun tested.

OK, let's take it a bit further. Now, you've ported the gun (added yet another small spike on that line of paper) and you've lengthened the forcing cones (yep, another spike) installed a thicker pad that is the same weight as the metal plate that you've replaced (another small spike). Etc, etc, etc.......

You are still firing X mass at Y velocity, but your FELT recoil is much, much less with each additional situation/modification/model....etc.

http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

To paraphrase Roy D. Mercer: "How big a girl is she?" My sister-in-law and daughter-in-law are both big girls. My sister in law, in particular, besides being a full-sized woman is quite athletic. We've had her shooting 20 gauges and it was a breeze to her. My wife, on the other hand, could not handle the recoil of my 28 gauge AL-48. So, gender is not the deciding factor; size is important, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife is 5'-2" and weighs 110 pounds, soaking wet. She shoots an average of 12,000 rounds per year through her 12 gauge Beretta 391, mostly trap shooting and sporting clays with a little skeet shooting. She has no complaints about recoil, but on a day of heavy shooting (300 shots) her forearms and lower back become sore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, yeah, but a 1951 Wingmaster, pre-lightweight by just a few years, is going to weigh a lot more than a Franchi 48AL. And I will bet you money the however many small spikes from the AL-48 add up to a bigger whack than the bigger one spike from the 870. I bet it is almost 2 pounds difference.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 pm 

mwebster6 wrote:
Quote:
Tomorrow I am going to have her shoot the 1951 Remington Wingmaster 870 that I am cleaning for my father, which is a 20 gauge with no recoil pad, would this recreate a similar or hopefully harder recoil than the Franchi?

Depends on the fit of the guns first and then the loads used.

The AL48 is geared for upland use but, would more than likely be fine as long as it fits her well and lighter loads are used. If needed you could always add more weight to the gun if needed to help reduce recoil futher.

There are some very good 20 gauge youth models out there that are well made and reliable. They are also light enough for someone is not as strong to be able to handle them just fine. Thet are better suited for clays and better all around models over the AL48.

Beretta AL391 Youth: This model is very thin and pretty light in weight at around 5.9 lbs. They balance with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3” chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. They have an automatic magazine cutoff and a bolt lock lever. They also come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. They are more complicated to clean compared to other models. They do go long periods between cleanings if needed.

Beretta 3901 RL: This model is wider than the AL391. They weigh around 6.5 lbs. They balance with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3” chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. They have an automatic magazine cutoff but, no bolt lock lever. They also come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. They are pretty easy to clean and can go long periods between cleanings if needed. They hold a total of four rounds and can’t take an extension to hold more. The safety button is at the back of the trigger guard.

Browning Silver Micro: This model is similar in size to the 3901. They weigh around 6.25 lbs and balances with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3” chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. They are very easy to clean and can go long periods between cleanings. They hold five rounds total and can take an extension to hold more. The safety button is at the back of the trigger guard and they have the speed load feature.

Franchi 720 Short Stock: This model is thinner like the AL391. It weighs about 5.8 lbs and balances with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3” chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. This model has an automatic magazine cutoff. Its piston can be flipped around to allow more bleed of for heavier loads. They have shims to adjust the stock. They are one of the easier semi auto models to clean and can go long periods between cleanings. They hold five rounds total and can take an extension to hold more. The safety is at the back of the trigger guard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

I love my 48AL, but mine is an "obsolete" 12 gauge. The long recoil design is very simple and reliable. In my opinion, this design has much less felt recoil than a fixed breech gun like a pump or double, but more than a gas gun. Don't worry about parts availability. Parts are available in the aftermarket, but forget about the Beretta-Benelli-Franchi group. You can find parts yourself much quicker with your computer. As with most gun companies nowdays, customer service is pretty much a forgotten concept. I really don't think recoil would be an issue with a 20 gauge 48, you could always add a good recoil pad if it was. It is a shotgun after all, not a .22 rifle!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

mwebster6,

Read the posting by Worc. He's given you a run-down on several gas operated autos. I think that is what you are going to want to find for your girlfriend. Fellows, a 20 gauge will whack the snot out of a woman if shot in a gun that weighs 6 lbs or so ................. unless they are shot from a gas auto. I've got a similar vintage 870 to what you are going to have her try. It isn't the gun for her. I've have had and do have gas auto 20's and can tell you that is the route you should go. While the AL 48 is light weight, that very feature will exacerbate the effects of recoil that you are trying to minimize. No matter what you get, put a recoil pad on it, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a 48-al and I would say this is a terrible gun for anyone that is recoil sensitive. Mine is a 28 ga nd if I shoot a hundred or more rounds out of it I feel beat up.

A good idea is a Remington 11-87 or 1100 they have almost no felt recoil and can be had pretty reasonably even new.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have several Franchi 48s. Never needed but one part. The oldest wore out the extractor after 40+ years of slinging lead. Cost: $12 IIRC. The others are used by both myself and my sons.

My favorite is the 48 Black Magic in 20 gauge. It is the long recoil model imported on special order by American Arms in the early 1990s. It is the same inside as all the other 48s. Outside it is decorated and has a weather resistant finish. I love the way it handles. It probably fits me because I can't feel much recoil. It weighs a bit less than 6 lbs and is a dream to carry and shoot. As Worc stated above, it is an upland gun. You can tote it all day and never know you have it.

Happy shooting!

Social security and Medicare are running out of money, I am told. The welfare programs are not. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

A Remington 11-87 is a good choice for your needs for several reasons. 1) though many on this board are critical, it is a proven, simple, and reliable design. 2) I have some experience with customer service on my own and with a gun shop where I worked for a while- Remington outshines them all. 3) The Remingtons price is better by far than the imports - probably due to the poor valuation of the dollar. 4) The Remingtons just shoot well in terms of accuracy and RECOIL. Any of the other guns mentioned above would work and work well, but I would go for the remington.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 am 
Field Grade

Thank you for all the replies, i have a ton of information to go on, and make a decision. This site is great, a ton of knowlege out there, thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have the 48al in 20 ga. with 24" barrel. Its light and you will feel the recoil. Because of the blowback action of the barrel, the gun really "bounces" around. The action is slow, compared to a gas auto. Feels like no other autoloader i've ever shot, though i do like it, its nice to carry around the pheasant fields.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 pm 

friday wrote:
Quote:
The action is slow, compared to a gas auto.

Sounds like a cleaning/lube issue maybe.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... .asp?ID=72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 am 
Crown Grade

I agree, Worc- my 48AL will run as fast as I can pull the trigger. The only time it slowed was in extreme cold (-8 F) last day of pheasant season last year. I may have had a little oil somewhere (a very bad idea in the cold). I seem to have good luck with a thin coat of Breakfree CLP in the cold.