CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inexpensive double-barrel shotguns?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

Looking to pick up a double-barrel shotgun. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but not junk of course. By "inexpensive" I mean sub $200 I would be happy with used as well.

What are my options?

Post subject: Re: Inexpensive double-barrel shotguns?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Your options are few or none unless you can find a really good deal on a Stevens M311.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:03 am 
Tournament Grade

maybe a real crusty Stevens 311 or WA Long Range. That would be the only gun I would recommend at that price point. The cheapest ones new go for about twice that and up.

Your expectations may be unrealistic.

Look familiar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Expect to spend $800+ for a USED gun, or buy yourself a headache that won't last. You can barely get a pump gun for $200, much less a double. Gotta get realistic...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 am 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased a Stevens 5100 in like new condition for $200.00 but I agree that this is not the norm. You just have to shop. Look at the different auction sites. Check your local paper if it still allows firearms sales ads. Mine does but went through a period when it didn't. Drop in on your local gun stores although the big box types have never been a source for anything but ammo for me. And then only occasionally. Network with friends at your shooting range or club. If you are into instant gratification, this approach obviously won't work. But, if you are willing to be patient, and what hunter isn't, then you can find some outrageous bargains.
My neighbor across the street liked to stop in for a cold one every afternoon on the way home from work before he retired. He was sitting in his favorite stop when a patron walked in and asked if anyone wanted to buy a shotgun because he needed gas money. My neighbor walked outside with him and bought a like new, Stevens 311 in 20ga. for $60.00 cash. He still has it and it still looks primo. And no, he has no interest in selling it to me, darn it.
Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Majic,
Once in a great while an incredable deal crawls out from under some widows bed. However in the real world, good reliable guns cost honest amounts of dollars. Save your money. Buy something that will at least hold it's value. Most doubles actually go up in value over time. All you need do is shoot em and clean em. Then you at least have something to use if trading up. Buy the best you can afford. You'll never be sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 am 
Field Grade

I never said this amount of $ was in stone. I'd be more than happy to buy used as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I can't imagine being able to spend less than $500 on a used O/U shotgun. You might find a few SxS double barrels for under $300.

There was a guy I was talking with a few weeks ago about some SxS shotguns for cheap. I have PM'd you his info.

Browning A-5 (16ga)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Majic,
The used market right now is nothing short of Wunnnnnerful! There are lots of guys in the hurt locker. If you have say, 600 bucks? You are in the realm of a thousand dollar gun. If you have 1500 , that can take you into 2500 guns and if you have two grand, the world is kinda you'r oyster. Not that you could get a Purdy or anything, but a goodly number of Spanish and American guns are well within reach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am 
Limited Edition

I picked up a stoeger uplander 20, a Stevens 311, and a Fox BSE series H all together for 600.

Admitadly the 311 looks like a turd but is a 16 gauge, someone obviously sanded it down and varnished it a yellow color... its also scarred and missing finish. But shoots.

The BSE-H is on my lap as we speak, someone tried to refinish this one too and sanded it w/o an action or buttpad, so its rounded and doens't fit he metal. Im going to try to revive it by cutting it shorter and getting a sand to fit buttpad. But shoots....

And the Stoeger, well its actually not half bad had a little chip in the wood, but it closes crisply and shoots decently, double triggers 20 gauge.

So figure 200 for a stoeger used, 200 for either a 311 or a Fox BSE in poopy condition.

Of them the 311 is the most fun to shoot for me, the Fox is heavy as sin, and the stoeger while crisp and what not the bead is really wide and comes in below the reciever by a smidge, which means i'm sighting along the bead only in the front, and makes it seem wonky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PGB,
What a grand mob of tradin' stock you have (wink) Now get em all pretty and put some really high golss varathane on em that any farmer boy would love, go peddle em all at 300. Well, except the Stoger, take what that one will bring. And get yo sef a real nice shotgun!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

An old Baikal IZH43 might be found for slightly over that. No choke selection, heavy, and handles like a club. Since it will be the $200 version, guess it may be more reliable as it would likely be double triggers. That is unless the price has gone up in the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Driggy,
The bakal is a five hundred dollar gun these days. The Remington/Bakal is a little more. they are clubs arnt' they. But better than they were

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:15 pm 
Limited Edition

heelerman wrote:
PGB,
What a grand mob of tradin' stock you have (wink) Now get em all pretty and put some really high golss varathane on em that any farmer boy would love, go peddle em all at 300. Well, except the Stoger, take what that one will bring. And get yo sef a real nice shotgun!

eh the 311 is still fun to shoot, I've had those 3 for... 12 years.. I'll post a picture of what UPS dropped off later today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PBg,
I sure meant no offence. 35 years back I was where you are. My first was an old, and I do mean old, Ithica #2. With a heap tired hinge pin. In 74 it cost the princely sum of $150 Yangee dollars! In 78 I traded it and 100 bucks into a shiny new BSS in 20 bore. Thats when a BSS was $450 dollar gun. There was also a 311 in my past. If you like em, shoot em.
I just like to see a guy get the nicest gun he can find for his pocket. It makes me all warm inside.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Right now I have a very good condition Stevens 311 that cost me $285.00, and a Zabala "Mercury" in super shape that cost me $250.00. That is the best I've been able to do in sxs guns lately. They are both from the 70's. I know this is not what you're looking for right now, but if $$$ is that big a consideration, the cheapest reliable gun in the world right now is the Mossberg 500 pump. I buy them all the time. I just got one in good condition with a vent rib and "select choke" for $76.00!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 pm 
Field Grade

KSims1868 wrote:
I can't imagine being able to spend less than $500 on a used O/U shotgun. You might find a few SxS double barrels for under $300.

There was a guy I was talking with a few weeks ago about some SxS shotguns for cheap. I have PM'd you his info.

I want SxS not O/U

I would be willing to go to about $350 if need be. Again, used is fine & it doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to fire properly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

Neanderthal wrote:
Right now I have a very good condition Stevens 311 that cost me $285.00, and a Zabala "Mercury" in super shape that cost me $250.00. That is the best I've been able to do in sxs guns lately. They are both from the 70's. I know this is not what you're looking for right now, but if $$$ is that big a consideration, the cheapest reliable gun in the world right now is the Mossberg 500 pump. I buy them all the time. I just got one in good condition with a vent rib and "select choke" for $76.00!

Where the heck did you find a M500 for $76?!

I have an 870 so I don't need another pump right now. I need a SXS right now &, later on, a semi-suto.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought it on the Auction Arms website. Cheap ones come up for sale most every week. My others I have bought on Gunbroker. I have always gotten more of a gun than I paid for. About 20 in the past year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Neanderthal wrote:
I bought it on the Auction Arms website. Cheap ones come up for sale most every week. My others I have bought on Gunbroker. I have always gotten more of a gun than I paid for. About 20 in the past year.

Yikes, Neanderthal!!!

Are you hoarding them?

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.