CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ammo shortage??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 am 
Tournament Grade

im sure you guys have heard of the extream run on ammo in the world of rifles and hand guns but it seems as though shotgun shells have stayed pretty consistant

has the demand just not spilled over yet, should i stock up myself?

Post subject: Re: ammo shortage??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:54 am 
Limited Edition

RunUover wrote:
im sure you guys have heard of the extream run on ammo in the world of rifles and hand guns but it seems as though shotgun shells have stayed pretty consistant

has the demand just not spilled over yet, should i stock up myself?

I just asked about that at my local store. The guy said the slugs were going pretty fast, the prices I've seen have been rising. I used to only keep about 15 rds. of 00buck 12ga. for HD, but I upped it to 30 rounds and added 15 rds. of rifled slugs. Get what you can afford right now. Don't need to hoard or get a SHTF Stock to last the rest of your life, but get enough to make you comfortable in your wallet and peace of mind.

Birdshot however seems to be in plentiful stock right now. My wal mart has an entire shelf filled with 100 round boxes of 7.5 shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 am 
Tournament Grade

ya next time iam at walmart im going to grab a few of those 15 round value packs of buck and slugs. should be enough to fend of a horde for a while. im only sitting on about 90 bird shots (uselss) and about 10 rounds of 00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 am 
Tournament Grade

the place i go to didnt have any buckshot or slugs 2 weeks ago. the guy said he didnt know when he was getting any. all he had was about 7 boxes of federal target loads. no thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am 
Utility Grade

All "self defense" ammo in pistol,shotgun & NATO rifle cal's are in short supply.This includes shotgun buck & slug rounds. I buy ammo monthly and these are the ones getting harded to find.
There's some very good deals on birdshot out there right now & plenty of it.

Two years ago I was buying 12ga Federal slugs in a 5rd box locally for $2.50 a box.That same box today is $9.99 :shock: if you can find it at all. Needless to say I buy most of my ammo online.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:41 am 
Field Grade

All ammo is in short supply. No matter what caliber or style. Every time I call one of my distrubutors
(I deal with distributors all across the country) they MAY have ammo in 45acp and nothing else.
I've been selling guns for 20 years and have never seen a shortage like this on guns AND ammo. Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We've managed to keep most calibers in stock, but the prices have gotten outrageous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
Birdshot however seems to be in plentiful stock right now. My wal mart has an entire shelf filled with 100 round boxes of 7.5 shot.
Quote:

All you need brother! Like having 100 death ray pulses on hand! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:38 pm 
Limited Edition

sixxx wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know. That's all I'll ever use. Stuff is like a mortar round. KABOOM Everything's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Project870 wrote:
sixxx wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know. That's all I'll ever use. Stuff is like a mortar round. KABOOM Everything's gone.

That's everything in a 300m radius of the sound of cycling the action that hasn't run for the hills.

Just about everything around here is cleaned off the shelves, and doesn't last when replenished. The only ammo that's plentiful is 12 ga. birdshot and most .410.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Till all the hoardin' stops, this wont stop. It iz up ta us.

regards
bearridge

Little Bill Daggett: Bob walked right into the bar and shot at Corky, only he misses, 'cause he was so damn drunk he couldn't see straight. Old Corky went for his gun and got in such a hurry that he shot his own toe off. Bob shot at Corky again, and he misses again, because he's still so damn drunk. He hits this thousand-dollar mirror over the bar. And now, the Duck of Death is as good as dead. Because this time, Corky does it right. He takes careful aim, slowly squeezes the trigger, and... BAM! That Walker Colt he was carrying blew up in his hand, a failing common to that model. See, what I'm trying to tell you is if Corky really had two guns instead of a big dick, he'd be alive today.

W.W. Beauchamp: Wait. You mean, English Bob killed him even though he didn't have...?

Little Bill Daggett: Well, Bob sure wasn't goin' to wait around for Corky to grow a new hand, was he?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:14 am 
Limited Edition

The whole "ammo shortage" seems to me a lot like the whole "gas shortage" after Katrina hit. There wasn't a shortage, per say. Just a bunch of paranoid people stocking up on gas and caused a shortage. Of course, the same could be said about the shooting/hunting world. There's probably a lot of paranoid hunter/shooter's out there that are buying all they can get their hands on, because of some rumors they heard about stuff getting banned or close to it, and now they're causing a shortage. Supply is not meeting the demand. Simple economics. Supply vs. demand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree with the Supply vs Demand idea. I have had a good supply for years and add new as needed so there is no demand around my casa at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

I see the supply catching up with the demand and the demand tapering off. The shelves are beginning to fill back up and even the prices are coming down. In my neck of the woods, there isn't much in the way of slugs and buckshot in stock until deer season gets near. But the once hard to find pistol rounds are back in stock. The prices are still a bit high, but they are there and not flying out the door as soon as they are stocked like they were a couple months ago. Look at 7.62x39 and .223/5.56 NATO. Steel cased Wolf ammo is all over the place again and the prices are getting back down to their pre-Obama levels. SS109 or M855 steel core green tip 5.56 NATO was rare as hen's teeth two months ago and going for over $1000 per bulk pack of 1000 rounds of Federal Lake City. Now it is back below $500. The real indicator of when the ammo makers get caught up will be when we see primers come back to the market as components for reloaders. Currently, all primers are going into loaded ammo to meet the demand. I think things are straightening out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree, Killerb. The supply has to catch back up to the demand. Then the demand will go back down, and so will the prices. That's why i'm just working on shotguns, and shot shells ATM. I'll work on hand guns and rifles, and their respective ammo, later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am 
Utility Grade

The only abundant ammo supply around here is for turkey hunting or clay pigeons. One thing I found is that if you have a liberal university town with in driving distance you might find some ammo even at a Wal-Mart. I made a stop the other day and picked up some more slugs since it was convenient.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Some of the gun shops I frequent are starting to get shipments delivered. They are hearing that the ammo supplies are starting to catch up with demand. The other side of that was one gun shop had WWB .380 for $49.95/50 rd box...

Later today, I was talking to a guy at the shop and he was stoked about finding two boxes of .380... He bought two of the three boxes... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shotgun ammo is always available in my part of the world. Birdshot is cheap all day. Slugs are always on hand at WalMart ($9/15 shells), but 00 buck is pricey at about $1/shell. I recently bought 100 shells of 00 buck for $.66/shell (shipping included) on gunbroker. Seems nobody is bidding on shotgun ammo there.

9mm on the other hand is almost nowhere to be found. I recently bought a Kel-Tec PF-9 and the only local I've found with it was the guy that handled the FFL transfer. $18/50 for Blazer Brass that sells for $9/50 at Walmart. Nothing on-line except Russian made junk. Gunbroker appears to have a bunch of people that bought up the WalMart stock and doubled the price. I'm not happy at all about the 9mm supply, but I've got several hundred rounds for the 12ga if the SHTF.

As soon as people stop hoarding the ammo, the "ammo shortage" will be over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 pm 
Limited Edition

_CJ wrote:
Shotgun ammo is always available in my part of the world. Birdshot is cheap all day. Slugs are always on hand at WalMart ($9/15 shells), but 00 buck is pricey at about $1/shell. I recently bought 100 shells of 00 buck for $.66/shell (shipping included) on gunbroker. Seems nobody is bidding on shotgun ammo there.

9mm on the other hand is almost nowhere to be found. I recently bought a Kel-Tec PF-9 and the only local I've found with it was the guy that handled the FFL transfer. $18/50 for Blazer Brass that sells for $9/50 at Walmart. Nothing on-line except Russian made junk. Gunbroker appears to have a bunch of people that bought up the WalMart stock and doubled the price. I'm not happy at all about the 9mm supply, but I've got several hundred rounds for the 12ga if the SHTF.

As soon as people stop hoarding the ammo, the "ammo shortage" will be over.

That's pretty much my sentiments, too, CJ.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought 2 boxes of 15 slugs & 2 boxes of 15 00 buckshot at Walmart tonight for under 40 bucks. They had tons of shotgun ammo, they still don't have any handgun ammo yet though.